Okami thoughts

Started by Fresnor, November 03, 2006, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fresnor

Didn't see anything else on this so I'm wondering, what is everyone else's thoughts on Okami?  I personally enjoyed how the game ran overall.  The fights with normal mobs were a little repetatie at times, but there was still the occasional twist in it, especially the bosses.  The whole brush system was rather well thought out as well I think, and I actually would rate the graphics over some of the more realistic looking ones you can find now.  I also had a little fun with the crude humour thrown into it, not often you see games with that, but too many with blood and gore.  Enough rambling from me, how did you all like it?

Zeph

I finally finished the game this week (it took me two or three weeks, ~30-40 hours).  Okami is by far the game I've most enjoyed in the past year.  Other than the brush gameplay - which is a neat addition - it's very much a Zelda-style adventure game with a great story and good humor, and a fantastic one at that.  I'm not a huge fan of cel-shaded graphics, but it really adds to the charm of this game; it just fits in perfectly. 

My only complaint is the difficulty: at no point did I ever come even remotely close to dying (not counting deaths with a full astral pouch, which equate to extra lives).  Combat was more of a mental battle, i.e. figure out the enemy's weakness, but I never found myself running out of health before I puzzled it out.  Not a huge disappointment, but it was about the only one I encountered.

Vaguely Creepy

I don't own it, but a friend of mine let me play his copy, and I have to say I loved it. It was quite beautiful, and had an awesome sense of style and grace. Something about the way flowers would spring up behind Amiterasu as she started to run, and the cherry blossoms all over...

I don't have any complaints from what I played, but my friend's been having a little problem. Apparently, any file he saves in slots one, two, or four tend to become corrupted for no apparent reason. (He found this out the hard way when his file with twenty-five hours invested in it - ow - became corrupted. Luckily, he had let me play for about an hour beforehand, so he at least had a starting point.) Has anyone else had this problem, or is it more likely his system or memory card?

King Of Hearts

Ive only recently played it up to the point where Amaterasu moves to the next area [the forest I believe] Im really hankering for a boss right about now. The Brush system is innovative, I love drawing bombs all around the field for the heck of it.

The voice annoys me, but the game is visually beautiful.

For me its not the best game of 2006 but definitely in the running.