10/13/06 - No! Not Dan... *sob*

Started by Hilary, October 13, 2006, 12:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

strong magic takes a very long time to master.  i myself can not build / terraform a planted in a week dispute  my characters many millenia of experience. still he discovered form a mortal named Yoh that to live a happy comfortable life was a worthy goal.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Blast

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 15, 2006, 03:14:14 PM
Thank god that's over with :sweatdrop

So after 300-some years, Abel is still a novice?

Quote from: DMFA Demonology 101Average life span: 3000+ years

I'd say so, yeah. ;p

Jack McSlay

one thing I remembered... good thing pyro is there... the last thing dan would want would be pyro mistaking him for alexsi and hitting on him
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Aridas

Well of course he's a novice. He keeps spreading his class choices out into those little extra things.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Panyko on October 15, 2006, 01:50:07 PM
That said, I think a few people are overestimating Abel's magical ability.  Even if there are magical methods of physically altering ones gender on such a level that they gain the others reproductive traits, it is definately not a spell that a novice like Abel could pull off...much less in less than a few minutes. 

... does anyone else foresee this as saying that Abel is going to mess it up. Badly?

This is -so- foreboding. And it's going to go -so- wrong....

I can hardly wait. :-)+)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Blast on October 15, 2006, 04:33:07 PM
I'd say so, yeah. ;p

His profile does say that he's one of the top students at SAIA, though...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kenji

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2006, 07:05:24 PM
I'd say so, yeah. ;p

Maybe that's just saying something about the rest of the students? >.>

Zedd

Quote from: FireKatKid on October 15, 2006, 07:06:11 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 15, 2006, 07:05:24 PM
I'd say so, yeah. ;p

Maybe that's just saying something about the rest of the students? >.>

KK proves a real point...Most students might overank him in some ways

Kenji

DigitalMan

I assume what you meant is that the rest of the students might just be idiots. Hey, just like Cleveland public schools!

llearch n'n'daCorna

The other option is he's just covered all the ... odd classes, so he's done all the grass growing and paint drying classes, but hasn't done the "core" magic classes, etc.... So, technically, he's done more grades/points/courses/whatever they call them, and passed, than anyone else there.... but still hasn't got the same level of core competency that most of the other students have.

Reckon that might explain it? Although it's a fair bit different from his days in the Sunshine Gryphons, I'll admit...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2006, 07:17:09 PM
The other option is he's just covered all the ... odd classes, so he's done all the grass growing and paint drying classes, but hasn't done the "core" magic classes, etc.... So, technically, he's done more grades/points/courses/whatever they call them, and passed, than anyone else there.... but still hasn't got the same level of core competency that most of the other students have.

Reckon that might explain it? Although it's a fair bit different from his days in the Sunshine Gryphons, I'll admit...

It's one possibility, yes, although it says he's "extremely talented and intelligent", not "a good park attendant"  >:3
Let's see - he did that freakish transformation of his, hid himself in a mirror, scryed a book and done the sword trick without batting an eyelid.  He's also done two rounds of mental shield on Jyrras without cooking his brain (he had problems at first, maybe out of practice?).  I'd say he has a pretty firm grasp of magic.

As for whether he can pull this one off, we'll hopefully find out in a few hours.

Blast

I don't do magic stuff (I prefer throwing tanks and guns at people, not fireballs), but those might be lower-level stuff.

Like those "light orb" spells that most RPGs with light conditions have.

The only thing that he did that was hard was that transformation of his own, but he said that took a long, long time of practice to hold down. He might still be having trouble with it, while others do it effortlessly (somebody want to hunt through the archives for examples?).

ShiningShadow

Hmmmmm Abel a Novice in the magic field and he is 300 years old a teenager.  I think this is something very serious what if Dan stays as Alexsi for a while man the mistaken identity the fights and non stop laughs I love it.

e_voyager

anything worth doing takes time to learn and even more to master.  as old as i am still have much to learn and a lot of things that i have learned i need to master. i'm sure Abel is the same way as he has not shown any medical skill yet.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on October 16, 2006, 07:31:20 AM
Hmmmmm Abel a Novice in the magic field and he is 300 years old a teenager.  I think this is something very serious what if Dan stays as Alexsi for a while man the mistaken identity the fights and non stop laughs I love it.

He's 399 - Aary is only 29 years older.  We don't know how old Destania is, but I'm thinking at least 1000.

Aridas

Hmmmmm Abel a Novice in the magic field and he is 300 years old a teenager. I think this is something very serious what if Dan stays as Alexsi for a while man the mistaken identity the fights and non stop laughs I love it.
To be a teenager, he has to actually be in his teens, which he beat almost 300 years earlier >.>

I tend to think of SAIA as college with extra innings. They don't seem to have any fees though... >.>
You'd probably be out a million if you went there for the full length of time anyway.

Kenji

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 16, 2006, 06:28:55 PM
Hmmmmm Abel a Novice in the magic field and he is 300 years old a teenager. I think this is something very serious what if Dan stays as Alexsi for a while man the mistaken identity the fights and non stop laughs I love it.
To be a teenager, he has to actually be in his teens, which he beat almost 300 years earlier >.>

I tend to think of SAIA as college with extra innings. They don't seem to have any fees though... >.>
You'd probably be out a million if you went there for the full length of time anyway.

Only a million? 8 years alone can exceed $100,000.

e_voyager

FKK has a point. collages is expensive i know as i have been attending one and owe a lot myself

Aridas

Quote from: FireKatKid on October 16, 2006, 06:32:58 PM

Sure, here on earth... Gotta be lenient for those unknowns :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 16, 2006, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: FireKatKid on October 16, 2006, 06:32:58 PM
Sure, here on earth... Gotta be lenient for those unknowns :3

The disintegration of the higher education system is actually quite recent.  Up until about '92 they used to pay you to go to University.  Tuition fees were introduced here around '97.  Before then, the whole shebang was government-funded, since well-educated people tend to earn more and thus pay higher taxes.

Since Furrae does not appear to be a capitalist dystopia, it is quite reasonable to assume that the students do not have to pay - doubly so when they are press-ganged into it as Dan was.  That said, I would still be curious to know how SAIA is funded.  Vending machines don't come free, you know..

DigitalMan

But of course that brings up the question; aside from adventuring, how do any of these characters make any money to begin with?

K2: Are you sure that's a topic you want them to speculate on?
DM: ... Aww, crap...

Zedd

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 15, 2006, 06:29:15 PM
Well of course he's a novice. He keeps spreading his class choices out into those little extra things.

Was his magic training at SAIA or earlier? We know Abel went to college as he mentioned it when he was discussing his cubi mark/tattoo with his mother. Around here to get a librarian job you need a bachelor's to get an entry level librarian job and a master's to get promoted. He could have minored in magic during those years, or the classes might be mandatory like language or math if you're going to a demon college.

Argh... I just gave myself the image of demonic magic dodgeball! (whimper... dodgeball flashback)
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

familyghost

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 16, 2006, 07:59:28 PM
But of course that brings up the question; aside from adventuring, how do any of these characters make any money to begin with?

K2: Are you sure that's a topic you want them to speculate on?
DM: ... Aww, crap...

*pulls out his newspaper*

Bad DM, bad!

*whaps DM ala Family Guy*

Zedd

Aridas

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on October 16, 2006, 08:53:47 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 15, 2006, 06:29:15 PM

Was his magic training at SAIA or earlier? We know Abel went to college as he mentioned it when he was discussing his cubi mark/tattoo with his mother. Around here to get a librarian job you need a bachelor's to get an entry level librarian job and a master's to get promoted. He could have minored in magic during those years, or the classes might be mandatory like language or math if you're going to a demon college.

Argh... I just gave myself the image of demonic magic dodgeball! (whimper... dodgeball flashback)
I'm pretty sure this is cubi magic we're talking about here, so magic training before saia wouldn't actually count. If you're 300 years old and still a novice, chances are it wasn't regular school that taught you everything.

ShiningShadow

Thanks sorry for the misinformation my bad. Anywho Abel is 399 years old and the extent of his powerful magic is turning Dan to Daniella hmmmmmmmmmmmmm something up here I find it very strange how Abel is doing those classes like tennis and etc and have this kind of powerful spell in his repotire. I dosen't make sense and I suspect Abel is up to something in a very evil way..............................

Aridas

Well... Abel isn't evil.

Oh, and he also doesn't want to be slaughtered for screwing something up.