To those of you who think you "know" me. (or someone like me, actually)

Started by Aridas, October 10, 2006, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

Look, I'm not a bad guy. I try not to say bad things. But it doesn't really help that people get on my case about something I said because they read it the wrong way. This is the internet, you can't convey a tone very well.

Let me put it this way: I rarely mean something in a hateful way until I've got someone on my case about it. I hate people who act like a smartass to me because they decided something I said meant <whatever>. So that's what it means? Fine, then I'll act that way. Everything I explain tends to get lost on people anyway.

I even tried coming back on this forum, with Amber's OK, and what's the first thing I get greeted with? Certainly not something to encourage me to play nicely. Mass smites and a few insults... Though one of those guys took the time to apologize for jumping on me early, and i'm kinda thankful about it, though... I didn't really remember til he said. My memory's like that.

To sum things up for a few people: I never hated you til you decided I did. It was your choice that you should take the things I say as such. That doesn't mean you should be eternally pissy about it. Try talking to me, whether to gain an understanding or patch things up, or just for some clarification. I tend not to word things the best way they could be. Bad habit.

I'm sure this applies to a few other people out there... Step up if you have some similar thoughts.

Zina

Firstly, I will be the first to acknowledge that you have improved greatly since the last time I saw you on the forums, and it does seem to me that you are making an effort. Kudos. I do know that a lot of people weren't happy with you being here, myself included, but the fact that the new forum meant a new start, I was willing to let past incidents go, and I feel things have gone as smoothly as they can on a forum on the internet. Which isn't very smooth at all, but what can you do.
I think one of the key things that get people so frustrated with you is illustrated nicely in your post. You tend to ride the 'victim' car a little too hard. A perfect example is Kitty's thread. What you posted could easily be seen as flame baiting, and I really doubt I was the only person that read it that way. The fact is, in a lot of the little spats you get into, you tend to turn around and act like you had done nothing at all, and that people were just angry at you for no reason, when in reality you had just as much to do with it as the other party.
It's not really fair to say "I say what I say, and if you're offended, then that you're fault and not mine", especially since you're the one that said those things. Whether or not you meant it to be harmful, you still have to face the consequence for your actions. If so many people start to get on your case for posting flame bait, then maybe you should pay closer mind to what you say, or re-word it in a less hostile way. Or just avoid the people you don't like. Like I said before, it's a large forum and you don't have to respond to -everyone-.
Those are just my two cents. *shrug*

Aridas

I understand... Bad habits are tough to toss. I think I'm scratching up most of these due to sleep deprivation though... I tend to lose most of my control when my thoughts wander at times like that... I'm kinda glad to see some response from you though, because I know for sure it has to mean something.

Still, my point was, I don't mean to be offensive all the time. I just don't want to be treated like I DO mean it. I'm not all that socially adjusted to begin with. I think I've had those problems since forever. But like you said, I'm going to kick the old habits. For now though, I think I just should sleep and get back my clear head.

Darkmoon

Okay, you know... These sorts of topic, no matter how well intentioned they may have been, are only going to lead to a flame war. This isn't a warning or anything, so don't read it as such. This is simply a preventative measure. That is the only reason I'm locking this.

BTW, you haven't seen mass smites until you've been me. ;)

:locked
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...