2024-05-27 - DMFA #2125 - I Suspect I Will Miss It

Started by Arcblade, May 28, 2024, 01:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_2125.php

I'm not sure Aliph is capable of conveying or acknowledging anything more clearly than this, but it kinda seems like Bella gets the message anyway. 

Also I was thusly really happy to read the artist comment just below TBD comic: "Funny thing is I know they meet again one more time." Like, so happy I went to the effort of logging in and making this post just to acknowledge it and make sure y'all also saw it. :mowhappy

Merlin

Good luck to you and everyone in the house with getting a new place, Amber!!!

another amazing page, you truly have been killing it with the art on these this year

Titanium Dragon

Aww, no bat smooches. And here I was setting up the docks already :V

More seriously, though, I do wonder what is going to happen with Aliph. He very clearly DOES actually care about people, and his disdain for many demons is palpable, even as he purports to hold himself to absolute purism as far as demons go.

It has been noted how rational a creature he is, and the fact that he sees through a lot of the nonsense that surrounds him makes it seem likely he's going to have to change tacks on what he's doing, because he's been obsessed over something that is, in the end, irrational and wasteful for a very long time now, and there's bigger things afoot than the undead, with the pieces moving on the chessboard. I think Aliph sees himself as a player, not as a piece.

Viking ZX

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on May 29, 2024, 04:55:34 AMAww, no bat smooches. And here I was setting up the docks already :V

Don't dismantle the pier just yet! Maybe we can flag that ship down ...

QuoteMore seriously, though, I do wonder what is going to happen with Aliph. He very clearly DOES actually care about people, and his disdain for many demons is palpable, even as he purports to hold himself to absolute purism as far as demons go.

It has been noted how rational a creature he is, and the fact that he sees through a lot of the nonsense that surrounds him makes it seem likely he's going to have to change tacks on what he's doing, because he's been obsessed over something that is, in the end, irrational and wasteful for a very long time now, and there's bigger things afoot than the undead, with the pieces moving on the chessboard. I think Aliph sees himself as a player, not as a piece.

Yeah, Aliph has rapidly gone from "Shadowy bad guy" to one of the more (to me) interesting characters of the story. He's like ... someone who was raised to be a radical of some kind, and who has done horrible things, only is starting to shake those chains off now that he's older.

And he'd better see Bella again. I think that's the most vulnerable we've ever seen Aliph. And the emotion in his body language and expression (not to mention the fact that he literally remembers what gifts she was given by people in her life)?

Come on Regina. Play the matchmaker.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Levistico

Aliph is definitely an interesting character study: between demon culture and how shut-in he's been over centuries, I imagine he just does not have that much emotional awareness to fully recognize his caring, nor is he in the least incentivized to acknowledge it. To demons, attachments can indeed be liabilities in the wrong situations, so Aliph has good reason to deny it both to others and himself; easiest and cleanest to just claim that he doesn't care, and to think that of himself too, despite the obvious amounts of care that he's showing the world.

Perhaps this divergence is part of how he came back 'wrong' from the grave? It would in part explain the discrepancy in self-image. Nonetheless, very intriguing character.