2023/02/11 [NG+ Bonus Volume] False Friends

Started by ProfesseurRenard, November 01, 2023, 05:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfesseurRenard

Thought I'd try my hand at a volume thread for the DHS folder, even though I don't normally post here until someone else has posted something after my latest contribution.

Anyhow, I really have a low opinion of Grain's former friends here, discarding their friendship with him after learning his mentor was a trickster, and then disguising themselves as horned bears to provoke him into revealing himself as a trickster so they can hang him. And after he'd saved their lives, too (unless I read that first page wrong)!

Liatai

It seems to have just been the one red scaler, Kira, who was behind this scheme. Looks like she got another red scaler to be her accomplice as another horned bear. Kind of hoping that the off-panel voices are the rest of his former crew, who found out what Kira was planning and brought allies. Probably not, though... ^^;

Merlin

since this comic is quite old it might be worth a reread to get caught up on things!

specifically volume 3, where the boys first meet

and volume 9, where grain talks about what he was up to before he met the boys

Liatai

Oh heck, I didn't realize THIS was the incident that led up to getting tied to a tree. D:

Given that, I revise my hypothesis. The off-panel voices are waking Grain up from a nightmare, or reorienting him after a flashback. Jeepers, this sucks for him. >:

Lying Foo

Even though it probably shouldn't be a crime, though, I feel like I couldn't blame them for alienating Grain for a capital crime.  Even if it's wrong, they could be charged as accessories.  Killing him, though...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Liatai

Quote from: Lying Foo on November 02, 2023, 03:42:09 AMEven though it probably shouldn't be a crime, though, I feel like I couldn't blame them for alienating Grain for a capital crime.  Even if it's wrong, they could be charged as accessories.  Killing him, though...

The thing is, unless it's a local law on the books made by elementalists, it isn't necessarily a capital crime to be a Trickster. Or a crime at all. No more than, say, being a light power or dark power. It's religious persecution.

That said, awwwwww little Break! It's so nice to see the old crew in new art. :3