Recent Art and feeling...

Started by FairWage22, August 27, 2023, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FairWage22

I've been in a car ride like that... more than once.
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Infranscia

A lot of introverts report having similar experiences.  I remember reading someone's account where they were just in a cafĂ©, focusing on studies or something, and one of the workers came over and asked if they were doing okay.  (Apparently the look of concentration looked like a frown?)

Another quiet person reported someone at a party approaching them, asking if or inferring that they don't have anything going on in their mind to share.  The person approached accidentally went on a string of super-deep topics - enough to scare the person asking - and went back to being quiet.

Maybe not exactly the same, but still.  Apparently there's a tendency to assume that if someone isn't, say, chatty and grinning, then they're probably upset.  (And maybe there's nothing going on inside. -_-; )

Personally, next time someone tells me to smile, I gotta remember to do a Stepford Smile, to make a point. >.>  (Maybe sing a bit of Masks by Aviators...)
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Radagast

So...in this page Mebs tracks to Kria and her friend tracks to Sherri? 
Hand me my snorkel!  I'm diving back into the archives!

FairWage22

Quote from: Infranscia on August 28, 2023, 02:47:10 AMPersonally, next time someone tells me to smile, I gotta remember to do a Stepford Smile, to make a point. >.>  (Maybe sing a bit of Masks by Aviators...)

Thank you very much for linking that.   I'd heard 'Teeth' from Aviators, but Masks is kicking, too!
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Dishonored

I get this a lot in real life. People tend to avoid me, because my resting face makes me look angry. Sometimes it's a blessing.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.