Question about Offworlders and Magic

Started by Liatai, July 14, 2023, 05:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liatai

So, I have a little story plotbunny in my head and it's being quite persistent, but I need more information to pursue it further. :3

We know that offworlders can visit LaRaGa, at least. If an offworlder came from a world that has magic, specifically elemental magic, and they have the skill to cast it... Can they cast magic on LaRaGa, or do they need to beseech the gods? Or are they treated like monsters that have their own innate magic?

(In particular, I have two characters, one of which has some wind-affiliated magic, and the other who is, like, a doctorate-level scholar of shadow magic on her home world. Which is very clearly Dark magic. Which has VERY strong in-world implications that I want to play with. X3 We know Daryil has his magic, but Daryil is extremely powerful and an exception to any rule put before him generally, so I'm not using him as an example.)

Puyon

It depends heavily on where and how they "source" the power from.

Gods won't listen to offworlders who pray to them, but if a God were to lend them a power, then they could use LaRaGan magic (volume 5, Random Encounter).

In your characters' homeworld, how do they use their powers? Do they source it from the magic in their world or are they able to produce it on their own? If the magic is innate to the world itself rather than the person, then they'd likely lose connection with their powers.

If they can produce it on their own, like monsters or Fey, then go nuts. I haven't been able to explore it onscreen yet, but Ramsey from Short Shift could still transform if he learns how to safely activate and control the transformation himself.

I have another character I've shared with Merlin who is capable of converting local ambient energy (such as sunlight and wind) into a form of magic he can use. So the conversion power is innate to him, but the energy itself comes from the environment, thus he can use his magic on LaRaGa, but he can't use LaRaGa's magic, if that makes sense.

How you choose to interpret your rules on your characters' powers will ultimately decide if they can use them, really.

[keeping in mind; I'm the guy who likes having hard rules on what can and can't be done, but Merlin says anything is possible, it's just some things are less likely than others]
...By Puyon

Merlin

Puyon's right and also way more coherent than I ever am about explaining stuff lol

Oooh that lil plotbunny sounds interesting Liatai you should feed it lots of grass so it grows up big and strong and I can see more of it!

Liatai

Eeheehee, yessss I'm looking forward to playing with it more. :3 Additional question; what about something like a magic battery? Something charged up on the character's home world with appropriate magic, brought over to LaRaGa? Would it lose its charge? Act funky when interacting with native magical energies? I reckon the answer is "whatever makes for a better story," of course, but now I have so many ideas.

Another little tidbit; the shadow mage uses her powers predominantly to work as a theater tech, hand in hand often with a light mage. They're part of the SFX crew for the theater, and do a lot of work with illusions. Another very charged thing in LaRaGa! X3 Even more so because this is a character who would absolutely be down for Trickster shenanigans.

The wind mage has some innate seer-like powers so that will also be fun. I'm also considering bringing along a non-mage xenobiologist, and an overworked healer mage from a different world. (It's going to be a party of like three worlds' denizens taking a LaRaGan vacation. XD) The healer, at least, has plenty of nonmagical medical skill and can likely cope, but will grumble about it the whole way through.

*edit* I started writing a snippet and it was immediately derailed by the shadow mage and the xenobiologist going on a quest for some paper and a pen, since making an illusory diagram didn't work, while they're passing a fully charged and functional tablet computer between the two of them. Oh this is going to be fun. I forgot how much I loved writing for these goobers. <3

Merlin

Oh yeah absolutely whatever makes a better story. I don't think there'd be anything stopping that magic battery from coming over. I figure Altair probably stops very harmful tech like advanced weapons from coming over but most things should be OK.

Oooh! The shadow mage theater tech sounds so cool. And I love seer-like powers, what fun! I like the sounds of the others too, this sounds really great

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on July 15, 2023, 06:39:05 AMI figure Altair probably stops very harmful tech like advanced weapons from coming over but most things should be OK.

Do not give me ideas, like Daryil transmuting elements after he arrives to make uranium

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 15, 2023, 07:00:57 AMDo not give me ideas, like Daryil transmuting elements after he arrives to make uranium

Daryil's guide on how to get booted out of a planet

Quote from: LiataiAnother little tidbit; the shadow mage uses her powers predominantly to work as a theater tech, hand in hand often with a light mage. They're part of the SFX crew for the theater, and do a lot of work with illusions. Another very charged thing in LaRaGa! X3 Even more so because this is a character who would absolutely be down for Trickster shenanigans.

Love this idea. Especially since like 9 years ago my very verrry first draft for Puyon as a character was "offworlder with trickster-like abilities who plays with and defends tricksters because she feels like it".

Hilarious how that changed in retrospect. She went from being a hero in her own way to mostly a frightened kid taking on more responsibility than she should, trying to be a hero in her own way.
...By Puyon

Liatai

Another question; can gods and their servants make themselves selectively visible? Like, visible to one person but not others in the room?

Because I have a (running?) gag in mind. The seer character has schizophrenia. Telling real visions from hallucinations has always been a struggle for her, and some of the fun of writing her. I'm kind of tickled by the idea of a god/servant trying to rope the seer into shenanigans, but she keeps ignoring them because no one else can see them so they're probably a hallucination. X3 Any kind of creature that can be selectively visible (or audible) would work. Or, barring that, I could always go with a very frustrated Trickster whose attempts to make the seer jump just aren't working. Phantom voices? Mysterious lights? Creepy specters following you? Eh, must be Tuesday.

Puyon

Hypothetically, yes. I choose this answer because of someone with lesser power who can do the thing you're describing, being the Reaper.

We know most of the time only the dead can see her, but in volume 78, she stated that she chose to be invisible by mortals until just now, before asking Jinx if he could actually see her the whole time.

Though if its not Jake, Gods don't tend to hang around mortals all that much, and if they are gonna be on the mortal plane, they tend to have business for why they visited.

They usually won't be subtle about it either since they don't wanna be there longer than they have to. Whether to strike fear in mortals or to further amaze them, I imagine they'd choose efficiency and address a large crowd all at once.
...By Puyon

Liatai

Fair enough! I think I'll just make it a running gag about a very frustrated Trickster. Good way to introduce the theater tech to Tricksters too. X3