Castlevania Sprites for a cRPG

Started by Slash, April 20, 2006, 03:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slash

Hello, dwellers of the tower of art!

I have seen your sprite work at CastlevaniaRPG, nice work! ;)

I am the developer of CastlevaniaRL, I wonder if you know what a roguelike game is? if you dont it is kind of a cRPG, with little plot and lots of action.

One of the features of roguelikes is the use of ASCII to show the map to the player; this is good for people who is into roguelikes as it allows to use the imagination and gives a lot of freedom... however, Id like my game to reach more of the cRPG scene, and for that to be possible, graphics are a need.

So, this message is to ask if any of you would be willing to get into the project, to develop the sprites for the game; I browsed thru the cvrpg sprites page, and it is just the style I am looking for, the biggest problem are the monster sprites, all I need is a front sprite for all of them (only map characters, not big portraits) and the terrain tiles (which are not many)

The game is working already and the new version comes with lots of improvements, so all you would have to care about is the graphic work. You can find the latest version at http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl

Of course, you would be fully credited in the website, title screen, manual, credits, etc :p The game is freeware, so it would all be just for the fame and glory ;)

Also, if anybody is interested on making the different classes portraits for the upcoming manual, just tell so ;)

Thanks and hope to get your replies (and sorry if this was the wrong forum, didnt know where else to ask)

--
Santiago Zapata, [http://www.santiagoz.com]
Slash: E+++ T+ F:ADoM RL-- RLA++
CRL: L:Java R- !P D- G- W:AF Q- AI-- GFX++ SFX++ RN+ PO++ Hp+ Re--- S+
GA: L:Java R++ !P D++ G+ W:M Q++ AI++ GFX+++ SFX+++ RN+++ PO--- !Hp Re+ S++

Darkmoon

Well... This sounds rather homebrewish, and I'm gonna be honest. Not that we don't like them, but most homebrews never get a lot of supports on the various CV forums...

That being said, if you're looking for monster sprites, just hit the games CVRPG is styled after. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and the like. There should be a few you can use in there (it's what I've been using for the comic).

Also, although I know it states this on the website, I'll repeat it. The main heroes (Darkmoon, Katrina, Alec, Princess, and Angel) are off limits for use in projects such as this in any capacity except as a cameo. Feel free to use any of the other characters though. That what they're there for.

Slash

Well, the game is pretty stable and playable by now, do I sense you are judging it because of its (lack of) graphics? ;)

I have searched the web for a castlevania cRPG and I have found nothing, (just some unfinished rpgmaker modules)... I really think this game can be sucessful if quality graphic work such as the one at castlevaniaRPG is put on it... it already has some sucess on the roguelike comunity, but I think the homebrew cRPG comunity would give it a warm welcome.

Lots of playability features are already working on it... different kinds of magic, special attacks, mystic weapons, 6 different classes, almost 100 different enemies, random level generation, line of sight... it is more than just a newbie wish for producing a game, almost a year of work has been put on it,altough the ascii interface may not show it.

If I wanted, I would just take some of the 'generic' roguelike tilesets and use them on my game... or just rip some from a japanese cRPG as you advise me... but I want something unique for this game and not just fill the graphics hole with generic tiles or ripoffs...

Darkmoon

Well that's understandable, and no, I wasn't judging upon the graphics. As I stated, the game is basically a homebrewed video game. Most people that the various CV forums dont or can't support those. You may be able to find a couple of people, but not many.

Slash

yeah well.. sorry to have been a bit rude :p it is just that sometimes I feel people just reject the game before giving it a real look ;)

Yes, the game is a homebrew... Konami has never been interested on making a castlevaniaRPG for their good own reasons, so I felt the need of making one...

I was hoping to find somebody interested as pixel art is not my best skill, but I guess it is hard for people to become interested unless they like the game and play it... so I guess it will be my job

Nonetheless, I thank all the cvrpg crew for their excellent sprite work... I will use these as a base for the rest of the artwork.

--

chip

Quote from: Slash on April 21, 2006, 11:00:27 AM
yeah well.. sorry to have been a bit rude :p it is just that sometimes I feel people just reject the game before giving it a real look ;)

Yes, the game is a homebrew... Konami has never been interested on making a castlevaniaRPG for their good own reasons, so I felt the need of making one...

I was hoping to find somebody interested as pixel art is not my best skill, but I guess it is hard for people to become interested unless they like the game and play it... so I guess it will be my job

Nonetheless, I thank all the cvrpg crew for their excellent sprite work... I will use these as a base for the rest of the artwork.

--
I'll help in making games. I have made a game or two in my year. Alothught my spirtes aren't the best, they still beat nothing. I haven't tried your game yet but I can help.

Slash

I'll help in making games. I have made a game or two in my year. Alothught my spirtes aren't the best, they still beat nothing. I haven't tried your game yet but I can help.

Thank you,

Right now I just decided I will use graphics styled ala castlevania 1-2, thus the game will have a totally different style from cvrpg comics

I will try to reuse the existing graphics, but off course I will need to draw lots of them and keep the original style...

this is what I mean: http://www.santiagoz.com/share/sprites.png

From top to bottom:
Bone archer, skeleton athlete, lizardman, lizard swordsman, bone halberd, cooper armor (in progress)
skull lord
durga, durga (AoS original), cockatrice (AoS original) cockatrice

what do you people think?

chip

Quote from: Slash on April 23, 2006, 06:46:38 PM

Thank you,

Right now I just decided I will use graphics styled ala castlevania 1-2, thus the game will have a totally different style from cvrpg comics

I will try to reuse the existing graphics, but off course I will need to draw lots of them and keep the original style...

this is what I mean: http://www.santiagoz.com/share/sprites.png

From top to bottom:
Bone archer, skeleton athlete, lizardman, lizard swordsman, bone halberd, cooper armor (in progress)
skull lord
durga, durga (AoS original), cockatrice (AoS original) cockatrice

what do you people think?
Interesting choices.

Slash

Perhaps it will be better to draw the sprites from scratch or based on others from CV 1 and 2; this 'downgrade' process has weird final results and I am not sure I like this ripoff appearance so much...

So if anybody is interested on making a set of retro sprites for the game, please contact me.

olroxshade

mmm,very boring this topic(or very funny)

Slash

Quote from: olroxshade on April 26, 2006, 05:36:00 PM
mmm,very boring this topic(or very funny)

yes indeed ;)

It will get extremely exciting when I have time to work on the sprite set ;D

olroxshade

Slash

Well... the game finally got an artist and now has graphics (for some time now...)

Also olroxshade, tried to participate in your spanish forum but it is too inactive :(

olroxshade

I know, we need more users, also have an english section :(

well, that game it's cool 8)