2022-06-22 [DMFA #2082] - New and unwelcome information

Started by MT Hazard, June 22, 2022, 09:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Dan needs to be alone for a bit, possibly to destroy the room.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

HaDDea

Uh oh... this begs the question: what IS the actual status of Dan's father's gem, and consequently his soul? Is he alive? dead? Mega-dead? Though Dan's meeting with Taun would seem to imply that she thinks his father is still alive.

Though it must suck to find out that the people you trusted have not always had your best interests at heart, or perhaps do but have gone about it in a way that destroys your trust in them. Geez, how many (if any) of the Adventurer's Guilds are free of Creature manipulation?? The Beings tend to rely on them for protection - how reliable are they really??

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 22, 2022, 09:46:07 AM
Dan needs to be alone for a bit, possibly to destroy the room.

I hope not - that is Mink's room and stuff. And as amusing as the footage of Mink's birth was, it would still break my heart to see a sad/raging adult Mink. As Fa'lina has cleared out, I expect that she knows Dan will be conscientious enough not to do this (or will head to the Wreck Room if he does feel like breaking things, now that he has been there once before).

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: HaDDea on June 22, 2022, 10:51:29 AM
Geez, how many (if any) of the Adventurer's Guilds are free of Creature manipulation?? The Beings tend to rely on them for protection - how reliable are they really??
This puts a whole different view on the fact that Biggs is bankrolling Jyrras' weapons development. Clearly, it's because Biggs either knows that the Guilds are compromised, or at least suspects that they are or could easily be compromised. Beings are at a huge disadvantage versus creatures, even with magic factored in (perhaps especially with magic factored in), and a commonly available mega-damage laser rifle would go a long way towards leveling the playing field.

Merlin

Uh oh... this begs the question: what IS the actual status of Dan's father's gem, and consequently his soul? Is he alive? dead? Mega-dead? Though Dan's meeting with Taun would seem to imply that she thinks his father is still alive.

dan's dad is a cat and somebody put him in a sealed box with a flask of poison and a radioactive source

GammaEradon

Oh deeeear. I think Aary's been hanging around Dan too much. She picked up some of his terrible bluntness.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Merlin on June 22, 2022, 07:06:25 PM

dan's dad is a cat and somebody put him in a sealed box with a flask of poison and a radioactive source

Herr Schrödinger?

Rithm Alfortele

Is it bad that my thoughts immediately went back to the status of Merlitz's Adventurer Gem?

Russec

I mean, if the reason the gem might be fake is to prevent tracking, that would suggest Dan's dad is alive, but hiding/being hidden. I suppose it could be to keep Dan and Alexi happy, but that also means Dan continues to be driven to find his dad -- if he was dead, that would bring closure, right?

If you didn't want people snooping around, and he was dead, it would make sense to make that known.

HaDDea

Quote from: Russec on June 24, 2022, 12:12:28 AM

I mean, if the reason the gem might be fake is to prevent tracking, that would suggest Dan's dad is alive, but hiding/being hidden. I suppose it could be to keep Dan and Alexi happy, but that also means Dan continues to be driven to find his dad -- if he was dead, that would bring closure, right?

If you didn't want people snooping around, and he was dead, it would make sense to make that known.

Perhaps. But what if that wasn't the intention of Taun's clan? What if the stone was faked to keep Dan from going to his father's aid and under the surveillance of the guild? The guild likely knew of Dan's parentage, and thus protection of a potential Cyran heir would be paramount. If Dan's father's gem went dark for a time like Merlitz' but has recently come back to life, then that might be reason for Taun to give this info to Dan now, especially with the gathering storm clouds of another war gathering.

This may explain why Fa'lina said Taun was testing Dan - but this is a more "we're coming clean about our deception and want to see how you respond" kind of assessment.

Hmmm.... might Dee had a hand in swapping the gems? Or did she discover the deception and set out shortly after?

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on June 22, 2022, 11:45:18 PM
Quote from: Merlin on June 22, 2022, 07:06:25 PM

Herr Schrödinger?

a-HA! We have identified our Blue dragon!

Tapewolf

Quote from: HaDDea on June 24, 2022, 02:18:01 AM
Hmmm.... might Dee had a hand in swapping the gems? Or did she discover the deception and set out shortly after?

I wouldn't put it past her.
Taun's involvement seems to me a bit of a stretch because I had the impression they were unaware of Dan's existence until recently.  After all, he's a Cyra and therefore hidden from foresight and probably direct scrying as well.  I would also have expected Taun clan to have proactively sent someone to protect Dan had they been aware of him that far back - they are very big on protecting 'Cubi and there aren't many 'cubi who need that more than Dan does.  Instead he goes off and gets into a feud with a powerful demon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

Shows Dan's indoctrination, implicitly trusting the guild organization so never questioning the nature of the gem he was shown.  Reminds me of a Japanese light novel where the MC (reincarnated from Earth after his step-father finally murdered him) refused to make use of the guild system or register and used other means for things like activating class changes because he didn't trust them.  Turns out he was right as it was the kingdom's best way of tracking and gathering information on every adventurer in the kingdom.  Everyone was indoctrinated to trust the guild system and never thought 'hey maybe they review all this info and use it for nefarious reasons.'

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 24, 2022, 08:02:04 AM

Taun's involvement seems to me a bit of a stretch because I had the impression they were unaware of Dan's existence until recently.  After all, he's a Cyra and therefore hidden from foresight and probably direct scrying as well.  I would also have expected Taun clan to have proactively sent someone to protect Dan had they been aware of him that far back - they are very big on protecting 'Cubi and there aren't many 'cubi who need that more than Dan does.  Instead he goes off and gets into a feud with a powerful demon.
In a way, it gives reason why she had Biggs kill Owona for her. Not only would it be a stab at her mother by taking out a close friend, but it keeps her from helping Dan find out about his father and the replacement jewel.

If Dan started snooping around dragons about his father, that might get some attention that Dan might not survive.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

I seem to remember Amber making some comment a while back about never settling on Dan's face shape. Hopefully Amber will find a shape they like, that sounds like it would be frustrating.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Nightmask

Quote from: joshofspam on June 24, 2022, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 24, 2022, 08:02:04 AM

In a way, it gives reason why she had Biggs kill Owona for her. Not only would it be a stab at her mother by taking out a close friend, but it keeps her from helping Dan find out about his father and the replacement jewel.

If Dan started snooping around dragons about his father, that might get some attention that Dan might not survive.

Imagine how deep into insanity and evil you've gotten to murder your mother's friend just to spite her and make her even more vulnerable to manipulation even when it undermines your entire species and its ability to survive by removing a powerful leader that can't be replaced anymore.