2022-05-18 [DMFA #2078] - A handy guide to cubi clan bloodlines

Started by Tapewolf, May 18, 2022, 04:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Interesting stuff.  Means I'll have to get more proactive about Jakob and Niall having descendants to pad out the Daryil Primary Line.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

So in at least some ways they mimic how Chinese clans operated.  A main family line that was kept somewhat small and that held primacy over the rest while branch lines were set up to spread out and increase the clan's power and influence.

Cassi-kun

Huh, looks like a few Endless Nonsense clans operate appropriately to canon now. Woo not conflicting with official lore!
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

joshofspam

So, Dan might have distant relations with other clans that split off somewhere from the Cyra line. Or possibly some from a clan that Cyra split off from. That's assuming they weren't hunted down as well to prevent Cyra from seeking aid from them. Interesting how a clan can split off like that. I wonder if that might relate to that whole thing Zezzuva couldn't maintain her clan anymore?

Like if a clan gets too large, do they start shedding off newly born cubi into a new clan?

Though it sort of gets me thinking again about how cubi make the cuckoo thing work with creatures that live in hazardous environments where just physically mimicking the non cubi's parents looks wouldn't cut it. After Zezzuva's big reveal and blowing Fluffies crossbreeding charts of the Insectis out of the water, I've come to the suspicion that cubi children of a Creature and Cubi paring might be able to slightly siphon off some of the traits from the non cubi parent.

This might also add another dimension on why Piflak is interested about Regina having a cubi child with one of her clan. Not only is a political and an aesthetic move. But it could mean the child might be tougher then the average cubi.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 18, 2022, 04:51:30 AM
Interesting stuff.  Means I'll have to get more proactive about Jakob and Niall having descendants to pad out the Daryil Primary Line.

I mean, Niall is Jakob's son. Give or take a 'grand-' and a few 'greats'.

Starcat5

Quote from: joshofspam on May 18, 2022, 03:17:29 PM
Though it sort of gets me thinking again about how cubi make the cuckoo thing work with creatures that live in hazardous environments where just physically mimicking the non cubi's parents looks wouldn't cut it. After Zezzuva's big reveal and blowing Fluffies crossbreeding charts of the Insectis out of the water, I've come to the suspicion that cubi children of a Creature and Cubi paring might be able to slightly siphon off some of the traits from the non cubi parent.

This might also add another dimension on why Piflak is interested about Regina having a cubi child with one of her clan. Not only is a political and an aesthetic move. But it could mean the child might be tougher then the average cubi.
It has already been established that the Cubi traits just go on top of the traits inherited from the non-Cubi parent. In Dan's case, his hypothetical future daughter will probably be just as fireproof as Matilda is. It isn't syphoning, simply genetics. But this assuming a bog-standard Being-bred Cubi.

Take your Zezzuva example. Assume for a second that a baseline Cubi is genetically similar to a Being, which according to the breeding chart mostly checks out. With that as our baseline, have a Being breed with a Mythos. Have that offspring breed with a Mythos that his/her Mythos parent could breed with but his/her Being parent could not. Continue this until the bloodline intersects with a Mythos that can breed with Insectis. One more generation, and you have an Insectis who is genetically descended from a Being. This is how Zezzuva pulled off her little stunt, and I suspect that her Insectis decedents might have some trace traits from the various Mythos in their bloodline as well.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Cassi-kun

Quote from: joshofspam on May 18, 2022, 03:17:29 PMLike if a clan gets too large, do they start shedding off newly born cubi into a new clan?

I doubt a Clan can technically be "too large" - Siar reaching the point of two thousand and Zezzuva reaching forty thousand. More clan members = more power cycling through the Clan Leader = more power to give the clan members = even more power cycling through the Clan Leader... etc etc etc.

Piflak's heritage seems to be extremely powerful, though, as her bloodine can apparently overpower demons with such a small clan.

I'm also interested in how this impacts clans like Jin. Her clan has a low birth rate and with Cubi being so unpopular it seems she's still losing a child or two every so often, thus her wanting to keep at least one of her clan members protected in SAIA. I wonder if this reflects her relationship with other Leader'd clans, as I think a formal alliance would allow for her clan members to be taken in by those Clan Leaders as well.

Merlin

omg we get to design beautiful daryil babies

yessssssssss

joshofspam

Quote from: Merlin on May 20, 2022, 05:17:04 AM

omg we get to design beautiful daryil babies

yessssssssss
Considering this is Daryil we're talking about here. I'm imagining him dressed like a cheerleader cheering them on on their honeymoons.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on May 20, 2022, 10:44:52 AM
Considering this is Daryil we're talking about here. I'm imagining him dressed like a cheerleader cheering them on on their honeymoons.

Considering that Niall is a free spirit and Jakob is already attached, I suspect it'll be more of a "Find a surrogate to throw money at" deal than a white wedding (see DMFA #2069).  (EDIT: fat-fingered the page number, fixed now)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

I have like eighty Cubi designs pending and none of them are in Clan Daryil. I'm-a have to fix that.

And also draw that fucking comic I came up with... seeeveral years ago, aheh...

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Cassi-kun on May 21, 2022, 11:19:53 PM
I have like eighty Cubi designs pending and none of them are in Clan Daryil. I'm-a have to fix that.

If any of your future Daryil 'Cubi are male, you're more than welcome to set one up with my boy Ra'ad Eichel of Sanst.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on May 22, 2022, 12:33:28 AM
Quote from: Cassi-kun on May 21, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

If any of your future Daryil 'Cubi are male, you're more than welcome to set one up with my boy Ra'ad Eichel of Sanst.
Woo, the shipping has already begun!

Nightmask

I suddenly find myself wondering why, given the effort we've seen to encourage Dan to procreate due to the limited numbers of his clan and the general obsession with reproducing to create new clan members why don't we see that with Mink?  They're also a member of a quite endangered clan on the verge of being wiped out so shouldn't we also see pressure for them to also have children?  Or is that one of those 'off panel' kinds of things?

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Nightmask on May 23, 2022, 04:47:21 AM
I suddenly find myself wondering why, given the effort we've seen to encourage Dan to procreate due to the limited numbers of his clan and the general obsession with reproducing to create new clan members why don't we see that with Mink?  They're also a member of a quite endangered clan on the verge of being wiped out so shouldn't we also see pressure for them to also have children?  Or is that one of those 'off panel' kinds of things?
Children aren't allowed at SAIA, iirc, so for Mink to have a child they'd have to leave the academy, and Jin wants to have at least one clan member there to be protected.