2022-20-02 [RE 74.08] Shooing Out a Loon

Started by ProfesseurRenard, February 20, 2022, 01:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfesseurRenard

So we know this mute hero's name now. Something's just occurred to me: since Mr Vinters's muteness is due to a curse, and since his violent reaction to Valentina Traoré's name pretty much confirms she's the one who cursed him, may I assume, based on what we know from Val's character bio, that he- in turn- is the one who cut her throat and caused her own muteness?

WhyNot?

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on February 20, 2022, 01:03:03 PM
So we know this mute hero's name now. Something's just occurred to me: since Mr Vinters's muteness is due to a curse, and since his violent reaction to Valentina Traoré's name pretty much confirms she's the one who cursed him, may I assume, based on what we know from Val's character bio, that he- in turn- is the one who cut her throat and caused her own muteness?

Yeah the story of it is actually already a comic on the site. It's a volume in one of the anthology ones.

Going off of memory here (Spoiling for those that want to find and read the comic or wait until RE goes over the events):

[spoiler]
Valentina did something for the ruler of the place in exchange for a place to live, which they had built in the middle of a child's park. People are upset because her personal statues don't have the refinement of discerning a persons intent like the DHS ones will and worry the kids will get hurt by them......and then a kid retrieving something goes off the side of the roof because of a statue going after them.

Coincidentally Hero dude came across her and a citizen arguing and went the usual "I am great good and you are a wicked villain" but was stymied because they hadn't *actually* done anything wrong so they couldn't do anything. Then the kid thing happened and they had the excuse to 'secure the situation' while others tended to the kid, resulting in him figuring out she used her voice to control the statues and, well.....a customer she was talking with at the time then cursed him while he was celebrating removing her ability to be a 'threat'.[/spoiler]

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: WhyNot? on February 20, 2022, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on February 20, 2022, 01:03:03 PM

Yeah the story of it is actually already a comic on the site. It's a volume in one of the anthology ones.

Going off of memory here (Spoiling for those that want to find and read the comic or wait until RE goes over the events):

[spoiler]
Valentina did something for the ruler of the place in exchange for a place to live, which they had built in the middle of a child's park. People are upset because her personal statues don't have the refinement of discerning a persons intent like the DHS ones will and worry the kids will get hurt by them......and then a kid retrieving something goes off the side of the roof because of a statue going after them.

Coincidentally Hero dude came across her and a citizen arguing and went the usual "I am great good and you are a wicked villain" but was stymied because they hadn't *actually* done anything wrong so they couldn't do anything. Then the kid thing happened and they had the excuse to 'secure the situation' while others tended to the kid, resulting in him figuring out she used her voice to control the statues and, well.....a customer she was talking with at the time then cursed him while he was celebrating removing her ability to be a 'threat'.[/spoiler]

Guess I'd forgotten that particular volume of Free Turn. Though, in fairness, he was only referred to by his first name, Basil, in that volume.

WhyNot?

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on February 20, 2022, 11:10:24 PM
Guess I'd forgotten that particular volume of Free Turn.

Don't worry about it, there are so many comics and characters in the DHS-verse that you're bound to lose track at some point. I know I have from time to time.

I only remember this one so well because, discounting the black-and-white viewpoint Hero getting involved, to my recollection it's like the only time in DHS that concerned citizens/intervening bureaucrat types show up with concerns to an individual who is working within the law but isn't 'being proper' or whatever......and then having their concerns turn out to be super valid.

The uniqueness of it made it stick with me, even if Vinters quickly swings the narrative into the more usual DHS shape.

Merlin

i assure you i cant keep track either, and was surprised to discover while putting together the outline that i did already have Valentina briefly tell the boys about it too

i think that was an anthrocon filler lol