2021-2-31 [DMFA #2029] The Mythical Dark Pegasus Optimism

Started by techmaster-glitch, February 01, 2021, 04:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Aliph may have said compliments have no effect on him, but I bet he's never heard THAT one before...  :mowtongue

Prroul

Ahh yes, the tendency for the logical-minded to assume that everyone and everything will similarly be logical. One of my favorite writing premises. From the old Asimov stories to the more modern Michael Crichton novels like Jurassic Park, and even stories like Dune... the great flaw that is exploited is that the world, and the people residing upon it, rarely act in a logical manner.

Heck, if we look at the times Daniel beats Dark Pegasus, those times involved Daniel being... highly illogical. Some out-of-left-field technique that actually manages to work simply because it was something DP wasn't expecting or anticipating and couldn't plan on to counter.

And here he actually expects Regina's father to act rationally. Which, sadly, is a word which is rarely found in the vocabulary of a narcissist. Or rather, they use the word, but as the saying goes... "You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means", as the narcissist's definition of 'rational' generally translates to 'agreeing with me'.

You know, this has all the earmarks of something going... really sideways. DP doesn't make idle threats. Ever. He doesn't really have that much of a sense of humor. When he was telling his sister that he could well kill him, I don't think that was hyperbole. He was calculating the odds of a potential physical conflict and the likely outcome of such a conflict, and conveying this. But I don't think this is going to be DP's kill here.

Regina has grown a LOT over the years. And she's got a tendency to... lash out... when pushed too far. I could see her father disapproving of her job, and of Uncle Aliph, and Regina finally snaps. And, as she has shown, she knows how Malle acts and reacts, knows his flaws in judgement. I could easily see Regina lashing out, some kind of thrusting attack into the chest, and actually killing her father.

Of course, that leads to a bunch of drama, and Uncle Al isn't really suited for that conversation. As far as he is concerned "He tried to take you over, you resisted, and won. Good job. You even did so with efficiency and without the telegraphing or overblown fight scenes so many seem to be wedded to. High marks. Now help me clean up the mess".

But hey... what would a story be without some good ol' fashioned drama, amirite?

Drako

Seeing a confused Dark Pegasus really made my day.  (:

KathYohneke

Dark Pegasus hurt himself in his confusion. Its super effective!  :mowmeep

InhumanInterest

I love that this isn't the first time we've seen Aliph do this sort of thing. He did something really similar in his assumption about how Dan "dating" Lorenda would pan out.

Hariman

You know what?

I get how Dark Pegasus is feeling here.

There was a time when I was a kid where I felt like I was being sarcastic and cynical about things to a friend, but he said that he liked that I could always find the optimistic/positive side of things, which confused the heck out of me.

I hope that friend wasn't being sarcastic. I used to be rather sarcasm blind. Kind of still am in person.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

keybounce

Feb 31st?

"I do not think that means what you think it means" :-)

e_voyager

You know things are bad when Dark Pegasus is the one who's considered optimistic.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey