Cubi dislike Dragons Why?

Started by Demont, September 27, 2006, 03:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on October 24, 2006, 02:01:48 PM
...there's something going on at the Cubi Academy. I can't put my finger on it. But I have this rock in my gut it involved with Dan and Abel. I don't know but there's something afoot there at the academy.

Abel seems to owe Dan really big, like he owes his life to the Ti'Fiona family or something.
That aside, I haven't seen any evidence that I recognise as some grand conspiracy on Fa'lina's behalf, and personally I have my doubts that she'd be able to influence all 'cubi.
Remember, she just runs the Academy.  She may be nearly all-seeing within the Academy grounds, but she doesn't seem to be that powerful outside her immediate presence (she can't even teleport by herself).
Remember, Fa'lina doesn't teach the students directly.  Yes, she'll set the curriculum, but that isn't necessarily hard-and-fast.  In School, College and University I have seen teachers skimp over things which they don't feel necessary but are obliged to mention because it's part of the syllabus.
Even if Fa'lina watched all her staff remotely and fired those who strayed from the path (since she couldn't even hire a replacement for Destania in 24 years, that looks unlikely) there's still the twin problems of students misunderstanding a'la the 'Incantation Ploy', and cleverdick students like Abel who are naturally gifted and don't need to pay very much attention in order to get good grades.

Personally I think it's just a case that she wants what's best for her race (the Academy was founded to act as a safe haven for young 'cubi during the purges).  If Fa'lina wanted to do something sinister, it would be more prudent to manipulate things via the Creature Council, since as the single most prominent 'cubi she is bound to have ways of influencing it, if she doesn't sit on the council personally.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if anything is going on at SAIA, it's that Fa'lina is realising that the world outside is changing faster than the Academy (with it's 375-year courses) is readily able to cope with at present.

..but I could be wrong.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2006, 04:16:28 PM
her immediate presence (she can't even teleport by herself).

Erm. I beg to differ. We just haven't -seen- her teleport herself, which may well be she chooses not to.

And there's been at least one instance where she has done it while we, uh, weren't looking. So nobody can really say she -can't-, particularly since she says she can...

Now, she *may* be referring to Fu, but something leads me to believe otherwise :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 24, 2006, 04:48:54 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2006, 04:16:28 PM
her immediate presence (she can't even teleport by herself).

Erm. I beg to differ. We just haven't -seen- her teleport herself, which may well be she chooses not to.

Perhaps.  To my eyes she seems very dependent on Warp-Aci to do the teleporting.  She wouldn't have needed to replace Fi if she could arrive and grab Dan all by herself, for instance.

If #490 didn't have Fu in it, I might have believed it :P

**EDIT* 490, not 409

Stygian

From a semi-omnipotent being I would expect at least some rapid transportation capabilites, teleportation, planewalking or something of the likes. Even my character is capable of phasing, and he should be nowhere near Fa'lina in power.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stygian on October 24, 2006, 05:17:21 PM
From a semi-omnipotent being I would expect at least some rapid transportation capabilites, teleportation, planewalking or something of the likes. Even I am capable of phasing, and I should be nowhere near Fa'lina in power.

With no offence to Amber, when Fa'lina says she is semi-omnipotent, she promptly describes omniscience which lead me to believe it was a mistake.  I'll have to locate the back-issues of the forum for that strip and see if there were any comments on that.

I can see how a Warp-aci would be useful to retrieve Dan via the letter, but when she handles it personally, she could quite easily have done it without Fu if she's really that powerful.

Stygian

Do not underestimate the tendency for authors and creators to humongously overpower or elevate their favourite and/or convenience characters. I have as of yet obseved this everywhere in the general community, professional or otherwise. She could very well mean what she is saying.

Tiger_T

She is several thousand years old.
I would be surprised if she wasn't pretty powerful and skilled. :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

ShiningShadow

I think that Falina is acting dumb to throw us off. I think she is very sinister and highly intelligent as she leads on. I think there more to Falina than meets the eye. I don't trust her for a minute she's has a plan all laid out and slowly but surely all the peices will come into place. There's an evil and it's Falina.

Alondro

*Charles chuckles*  Let's not forget Fa'lina's reaction to Merlitz when no one but Aary was in earshot.  Her happy-go-lucky act vanished instantly and she gave us a brief glimpse of her true nature.   

Oh yes, I'm sure she's hiding quite a bit.  For example, if she is indeed near-omniscient, then she'd be more than clever enough to keep her true power hidden until her objective was fully in her grasp and nothing remained to stop her.

That is how a true evil genius works.   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Alondro on October 24, 2006, 09:54:51 PM
*Charles chuckles*  Let's not forget Fa'lina's reaction to Merlitz when no one but Aary was in earshot.  Her happy-go-lucky act vanished instantly and she gave us a brief glimpse of her true nature.   

Oh yes, I'm sure she's hiding quite a bit.  For example, if she is indeed near-omniscient, then she'd be more than clever enough to keep her true power hidden until her objective was fully in her grasp and nothing remained to stop her.

That is how a true evil genius works.   :mwaha

Hear, hear I'm glad you agreed with me she's up to something. Till we have the full details we will speculate more I think her powers comes from eating certain muffins hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Magic

QuoteThat aside, I haven't seen any evidence that I recognise as some grand conspiracy on Fa'lina's behalf, and personally I have my doubts that she'd be able to influence all 'cubi.

True, that.

Fa'lina is not the most powerful succubus that ever lived and none of the other clans will let her play them like pawns. The clans assembled for the purposes of education for the young, and a safe haven; they did not agree to do Fa'lina's every whim no matter how good her position is to do so and they can very well oppose her if she herself strays from that agreement. Balance of power and politics still apply.

However, that is too boring for her (especially since she has nine thousand years under her belt), so she does in change a little bit here and there, but not enough to cause a civil war inside the academy. Risks she has to take for destiny of course.

It is a fact that she is semi-omnipotent; from her abnormal lifespan and physical strength alone. (Albeit word choice is in question within that comic. Tapewolf might be right about it being omniscience.)

Also.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_532.php

Think about the pacing of the comic above, and how fast she responded to him.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

DigitalMan

Quote from: Ink on October 24, 2006, 10:29:53 PM
Also.

Think about the pacing of the comic above, and how fast she responded to him.[/i]

More than speed, I'm noticing how she was completely unaffected by their inertia... That's pretty frightening.

Stygian

Ink, however much I respect you and admire you for what you are, I cannot but regard your words with a certain disbeleif, for you yourself have connections to Fa'Lina and Amber. Also, women of Fa'Lina's position tend to see things very much the way they want them to be, and while avarice is not present or at least aparrent in all, it can and mostly does affect people's actions very subtly.

I am most aware of Fa'Lina's overwhelming experience and sharp intellect. But I have seen so many examples that indicate that wit and emotion are two completely separate things, and dangerous when in a mix, that I can do nothing but distrust her, and urge others to do the same.

Magic

Ah, but that is so because she is an impeccable diplomat and one who knows well about compromise, her whim aside. She would have had to be to unite the clans under the academy and be able to maintain order throughout history despite the deep prejudices between certain clans.

Though the latter, I would have to concede. She is a particularly dangerous individual, as you've said.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Aridas

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 24, 2006, 10:36:58 PM
Quote from: Ink on October 24, 2006, 10:29:53 PM
Also.

Think about the pacing of the comic above, and how fast she responded to him.[/i]

More than speed, I'm noticing how she was completely unaffected by their inertia... That's pretty frightening.
Haven't you ever watched wrestling? Now compare that to some old cubithing. Possible, if you assume wrestling is real. >.>

ShiningShadow

I watch wrestling the real one in Mexico. Anywho I think Falina is really up to something it proves it with her strength and how she teleports with ease and always showing up at least we expected. That in a nutshell is one crazy, dangerous individual. I will stay far away from her.

Stygian

I would rather keep close to her... Though powerful she may be, I have tricks up my sleeve that few expect (and even fewer enjoy or accept...). I would rather monitor her closely than be caught unaware of any action on her part.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Stygian on October 25, 2006, 07:41:02 AM
I would rather keep close to her... Though powerful she may be, I have tricks up my sleeve that few expect (and even fewer enjoy or accept...). I would rather monitor her closely than be caught unaware of any action on her part.

Sort of like *Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer type of saying* I know what your saying there and I agree on this.

Stygian

More along the lines of; "I am aware of the danger that my enemies pose, but they are far from aware of the full danger I pose, and therefore I am the one with the advantage". That's something that I commonly practice in real life, sad though it may sound.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Stygian on October 26, 2006, 07:37:07 AM
More along the lines of; "I am aware of the danger that my enemies pose, but they are far from aware of the full danger I pose, and therefore I am the one with the advantage". That's something that I commonly practice in real life, sad though it may sound.

Very well said warrior. Kind of reminds me of the book of Art Of War by Sun-Tzu. I read it a couple of times helps alot in things in life in general.

keybounce

Ohh ohh. 206, 206!

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_206.php

"Not Pyroduck ... He keeps giving me the creeps."

Cast page: "Quirks/Fun Facts: Dan's new wing tentacles have draconic heads.".

thetire

Dan is a dragon. He HAS to be! >:O

(from cast page)
exhibit A: "Dan's Quote: Well what do ya know... it CAN be set on fire!" (need I say more?)
exhibit B: "Nicknames: Dan, Danny, "Keep away from me pervert!"" (er... eh heh heh... :animesweat)
exhibit C: "Quirks/Fun Facts: Most claim it's because he gets to dress in flashy clothes and jump around. They probably are right."

*adjusts his powdered wig*
that is all.  :.

Zedd

Quote from: Zander on November 04, 2006, 09:42:14 PM
Dan is a dragon. He HAS to be! >:O

(from cast page)
exhibit A: "Dan's Quote: Well what do ya know... it CAN be set on fire!" (need I say more?)
exhibit B: "Nicknames: Dan, Danny, "Keep away from me pervert!"" (er... eh heh heh... :animesweat)
exhibit C: "Quirks/Fun Facts: Most claim it's because he gets to dress in flashy clothes and jump around. They probably are right."

*adjusts his powdered wig*
that is all. :.

Let me reply to dumb it down for you...IF DAN WAS A DRAGON HE WOULD BEEN NOTICED BY PIP BEING A DRAGON YOU SILLY COW! NOW DON'T MAKE ME GET INTO A FIERY OF MY RAGE OF MY CAMP LIKE SELF!  Thank you....

Faerie Alex

Technically, Pip is a drake, not a dragon. Similar, but not the same.
http://www.missmab.com/Cast/pip.php
versus
http://www.missmab.com/Cast/pyroduck.php
(Note the different "Species.")
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Aridas

Pip would be considered a subspecies, I think.

ShiningShadow

Dan a Dragon? I don't think so but the dragon head on his tentacles maybe. I don't know Dan doesn't have any dragon blood in him if so then Pyro will know him in a very different way to address him if he is a clan of the Dragon. But right now I don't see any evidence of Dan being a Dragon.

Kibin

:mowninja: *ninja post-fu!*

Maybe it's because that, like Dan's clan, dragons cannot have them predicted by magic easily. Thus, having a dragon near Dan would make it harder to predict events in his future, since there are more unknown forces. Or something like that.

Ailis

Waht about the posibility that Pyroduck is not a typical dragon?  Also, if I remember correctly he said he was from the future (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_113.php)

Maybe he was being serrious.  Either that, or he will owe Dan a favor.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Kibin on November 06, 2006, 08:20:36 AM
:mowninja: *ninja post-fu!*

Maybe it's because that, like Dan's clan, dragons cannot have them predicted by magic easily. Thus, having a dragon near Dan would make it harder to predict events in his future, since there are more unknown forces. Or something like that.

Well lets just say your right on this one. When this unseen force will make an appearance, I think is Falina is the one will make that appearance and her plans to Dan.
I'll still don't trust her and this will prove it when and if she will make her plans known.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears