2019-08-23 [DMFA #1938] There is no answer

Started by Tapewolf, August 23, 2019, 04:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I hope that bringing a Fae to a movie theatre doesn't have the same effect on the projection equipment as bringing them to an oven does.  Especially if it's digital projection.

On the topic of discovering secrets of the universe and going crazy, the Katbox version adds this neat anecdote: "One of my favorite /tg stories from back in the chan of 4 days was about a Call of Cthulhu game. Basically one of the characters was an investigator and was looking at a crematorium and noticing some dog-tracks when the Gm had the player check and discover that the only way those tracks would make sense is if the dogs were walking on their hind legs.

So by the proxy of the game, anytime something weird happens you gotta roll sanity. So the player rolled...and critically epic failed. Which led to a situation of a guy going from full mental health to trying to stuff himself inside the cremation machine screaming "Two legs! TWO LEGS!"."

I am also reminded of the easter egg in Ultima 7, where if you end the world, the antagonist reveals to the player that the reason they turned evil was because it was revealed to them on a pilgrimage that life and death had no meaning.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ProfesseurRenard

Amusing anecdote about the Lovecraft game. Scary, but amusing.

Lying Foo

Honestly, most of the "driven to madness" Lovecraft characters weren't hit with much more than that.  Peaslee's freak out feels like an outright non sequitur.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Aurum Lupus

Tapewolf, what does that have to do with anything with the comic? Yes it is a funny story, I'll admit that.
Also, there's a couple misspellings in the first two paragraphs of Mab speaking in the first panel.
Sincerely Aurum Lupus

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurum Lupus on August 23, 2019, 12:12:35 PM
Tapewolf, what does that have to do with anything with the comic? Yes it is a funny story, I'll admit that.
Also, there's a couple misspellings in the first two paragraphs of Mab speaking in the first panel.

You mean the Katbox comment?  There are (currently) two sites for DMFA.  One is http://www.missmab.com  and the other is http://missmab.katbox.net

If you look at the Katbox version, you will see that there is a comment or rant from Amber which does not appear on the missmab.com version.  Since not everyone visits both sites, I will sometimes post the comment here too if I think it's particularly fun.  Also, since Katbox is apparently going to shut down in a couple of months, those remarks will be lost anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aurum Lupus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 23, 2019, 01:05:22 PM
Also, since Katbox is apparently going to shut down in a couple of months, those remarks will be lost anyway.
[/quote]

Really, wow. Why would Katbox shut down permanently?
And yeah, I do only look at one of Amber's sites, witch would be missmab.com one.
Sincerely Aurum Lupus

Amber Williams

Chances are the remarks wont be lost.

I haven't made a big official thing on it, but Darkmoon is going to be helping me migrate the content features from the Katbox site onto a new hosting and then I'll be migrating the missmab.com domain over.  So it will end up being a two part merger.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 23, 2019, 04:23:04 AM
So by the proxy of the game, anytime something weird happens you gotta roll sanity. So the player rolled...and critically epic failed. Which led to a situation of a guy going from full mental health to trying to stuff himself inside the cremation machine screaming "Two legs! TWO LEGS!"."
That...is one aspect of the CoC game system I really didn't like.  Something like that really shouldn't be more than a tiny ding on your sanity license.

It was only funny until you rolled badly a few too many times.