The Castlevania Legacy

Started by Forsaken_belmont, September 05, 2005, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

No, I'd call it awful. It was just plain boring.

Mageknight Locke

HOD was just a mish mash of stuff from other CVs, the only original thing was the spell fusion, which was a rather half assed job

Helena

So HOD was the worst ever made then?
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Darkmoon

I dunno the worst, but it's up on my list of the worst of the set.

Helena

Hmm...I have only ran into the good Castlevania games I didn't even know there were bad ones.

Darkmoon

Some of them are variants. Like the Commodore CV1... and of course, almost nothing is worse than HC.

Helena

Commodore CV1 my cousin owns that. I find it funny to watch him fail at it. I never play it though, its funner watching ppl play games. It's interesting and funny

Darkmoon

I would love to get a hold of a Commodore Emulator and the file for CV1 to play on it.

Jorge D. Fuentes

I've had the displeasure of playing that.
It was pretty damn terrible (I had the ROM and the C64 emu).
Graphics' wise it was OK... but the play control...  let's just say it was potentially Dangerous to go down a set of stairs to the next room, as your character could 'fall off' at times... FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

That and bad hit detection... my whip would at times go through enemies and deal no damage (no flinch or anything).

And the music was out of the PC Speaker.  >_<

Darkmoon

That sounds awful... I must play it and review it for ICVD.

Helena

Why review something that sounds bad?

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Jorge D. Fuentes on September 14, 2005, 12:41:26 PM
but the play control...  let's just say it was potentially Dangerous to go down a set of stairs to the next room, as your character could 'fall off' at times... FOR NO APPARENT REASON.

That and bad hit detection... my whip would at times go through enemies and deal no damage (no flinch or anything).
There are sadly a lot of modern games with those problems too.
Actually I found a "fall off" glitch in one of the levels in X-Men Legends just a few days ago. A few modern beat-em-ups tend to have their own set of "missed" attacks aswell.

Darkmoon

I found a couple of fall offs. It was very irritating.

You review awful games for the sheer torture of it. Makes for great, mean reviews.

Green Lantern

While there are those who can't stand Harmony of Dissonance, there are also those who love it to pieces. It actually has quite a bit of die hard fans.

Jorge D. Fuentes

It's not a bad game.
It's not like it's got crap gameplay...
...but it could've been so much better executed.  Many of the backgrounds (especially in the Marble Corridor) are just resized edits of SotN's backgrounds (one is straight out of Olrox's Quarters).

The way Juste Belmont 'floats' in the air when jumping, and his very slow Whipping attack make for annoying gameplay, and his Sprite is an eyesore.  His flesh color in the sprite is a Grayish white, and his clothing is a Peach-like red in the highlighted areas.  He appears blocky around the feet.

It's like they took a PSX (SotN-sized version) sprite of him and Shrunk it for the game and reduced the color count afterwards, so most of the colors kinda blend together.

The enemies are cookie-cutter edits from SotN enemies.  The Bosses have little to no actual attacks and barely Move (Peeping Big, Max Slimer, Living Armor, Saint Legion, Corpse Legion, etc.), and usually involve a nice strategy of "Duck, Whip, Whip, Whip, Dash Left to Dodge, Dash Right, Repeat" or "Whip whip whip, dash left, jump over creature, turn around, repeat only mirrored".

There's also an overuse of Marionette Enemies (enemies made out of parts that rotate).  The abundance of Armors shows this. 

I appreciate the things the game does right (like the enemy cameos in the Cave of Skeletons, the Castle's environmental obstacles and interaction, like the blood room and the gear room with the armor.... and the super-humorous "Hammer Button" room", and I do admit some of the background graphics do look really good.  I love the music, but I hate the way it's executed in the game with the GBA Chiptune sounds.

I like Ayami Kojima's desing of Juste and Maxim, but the in-game Juste and Maxim aren't nearly as cool-looking.  Soma and Julius look way the hell better, attack better, and feel better in terms of gameplay.  Conversely, Nathan Graves looks, attacks, and feels, in Circle of the Moon, also surpasses Juste.  The only thing Juste has going for him over the aforementioned characters is his Dash ability.

Overall it just seems hoshposh.

Paavo

How about the "Belmont Legacy"? Aka the comicdom?

Green Lantern

Speaking of that, I've been meaning to tell you:

I sent you a PM at the Rep days ago asking for those comics and you never got back in touch. :bunny

Forsaken_belmont

Roms? i had a Rom Of CV1 instead of Castlevania...it was called Schoolvania :givesafuck
yes i know...wtf

Paavo

Quote from: Green Lantern on September 16, 2005, 04:03:58 AM
Speaking of that, I've been meaning to tell you:

I sent you a PM at the Rep days ago asking for those comics and you never got back in touch. :bunny

Waht? I uploaded the series two times and PM:ed you almost instantly! O_0

Well, I might need to upload them again, the link has died by now.

Slayer...

HoD wasn't that bad...if it wasn't for that game, hell, I wouldn't be in this forum today...it got me back to CastleVania...