WTF NINTENDO!!

Started by Slayer..., September 15, 2005, 10:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayer...

YOU CALL THAT A REVOLUTIONARY CONTROLLER!! 
...this had better be some kind of SICK JOKE!!

UPDATE!!
Oh wait, it acts as a mouse in 3d...not as bad...phew, for a second, I thought it was just your basic controller...

Achirio

also, you can hold it like a standard controller if you just grab it in an horizontal way... it IS a very innovative controller. What I'm not looking is that i don't see many buttons, that may be really bad.

Darkmoon

it also doesn't seem like it'd be that comfortable to hold sideways.

Sin Ominous

I also notice that there may be a potential problem with the palm of the left hand rubbing against the power button.

Darkmoon

Oooh, yeah. I'm sersiouly wondering if this isn't some optional controller, cause Nintendo is normally so good about controller design... and this just lacks.

Darkmoon

Sorry to double post, but I got a better picture of the controller. Still doesn't paint the greatest picture, but it does seem a little more useable:

Sin Ominous

Darkmoon

VGCats said that. Reviewers of the controller have stated that while unorthodox, it's very useable.

Destina Faroda

I'm sorry, but I don't see how it's usable at all.  When I play my games I like to have my hand rest.  That thing looks like it's going to be a devil to control.  I mean I have two separate parts to my controller.  Not only do I have to be aware of them both, I have to balance them both and keep the commands straight on both.  That's too much to think about.
Sig coming...whenever...

Paavo

Yeah, pointing shit totally equals tired arms. And I have only signed for tired thumbs. :|

Lumienkeli

I can't wait to try that out. But still, I'm not satisfied with only that and Nintendo's new revolutionary games. I'm sure they are great and all but I also want to play more "normal" games and that's why I'll be picking up an Xbox 360 ^^ And a Revolution too of course! I'm really excited as to how developers are going to use all the functions of that controller, I'm sure it'd be awesome to actually use that as a sword or a gun! Gamespot reported they had tried a modified Metroid Prime 2 with that controller and it worked fine for FPS games.

Darkmoon

Well that was the thing, they said with barely the flick of a writst you could around the entire screen. It felt totally natural and easy to use. Free and comfrotable.

Part of the bonuc of the controlle was that it would detect motion, so that you could slash at the screen and the character would slash his sword, etc. All was supposed to feel natural, and totally different from most anything out already.

They did also comment that they would have normal controllers available for people to buy if they needed something more like the other systems.

Lumienkeli

Oh yeah, that's right. And then you could play easily those older NES, SNES and N64 games and ports from other consoles if they require that. Also you can use GC controllers with that, since it supports GC games and those controller ports are the same as in GC.

Paavo

then again, why not use light gun, if you need to point at things on the screen. Revolution? :meh

Lumienkeli

It's not about pointing. You're not going to point at the screen, the controller senses exactly where and in what angle the controller is, so you can swing it like a sword or a golf club or whatever. And if you're going to use it as a gun, then you can point with it. But if it was only a light gun, you couldn't twist it around or swing it, just point stuff at the screen.

Lumienkeli

Oh and everyone should check out the video of the controller in use, though no real game was played in it, it shows the possibilities of the controller... Go here and download the video:
http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

Achirio

That sounds really uncomfortable if you ask me, I'm sure many people like to let the hand rest INSTED of making  the carpio tunnel syndrome worse by waving a controller around to play a game.

Destina Faroda

I've gotta agree.  Did you hear that bell?  It's the death toll for Nintendo.
Sig coming...whenever...

Alucard_The_Great

MY GOD! Thats as dumb as the F'ing (gotta cut down on curssing cause I don't wanna get kicked out of here) Sword controller for N64!!

thernody

Fucking shweet/horrible.
I'll have to try this piece of coolness/shit.

Alucard_The_Great

:erk

...And I was trying not to curse... :meh

... :plzdie

lol

Quientin

concepts and their welcome.......or lack of.....

it was a nice try

Quientin

also... has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a light gun that worked well since the 8 bit nintendo?

wtfs with that anyway? tech advances and light guns get worse? i mean really.........

and the only video game gun i've ever really been impressed with since was the arcade version of silent scope 1 and 2

Xuzaf D

My Guncon2 burned out within a couple of months.

Paavo

Quote from: Lumienkeli on September 16, 2005, 04:28:35 PM
And if you're going to use it as a gun, then you can point with it.

My wrists are in pain already.

And I smell Virtua Boy. :januscat

ilpalazzo

Quote from: Xuzaf D on September 17, 2005, 01:08:33 AM
My Guncon2 burned out within a couple of months.

MINE WORKS PERFECTLY. and I traded my super scope for an sp.  dUMBEST MOVE EVER.

Darkmoon

I dunno. It could be messed up... but then, I think there was a lot of bitching about the DS also, and that once actually turned out pretty decent. In this case I like the concepts they're going with, and usually Nintendo doesn't lead me wrong.

Destina Faroda

Did you forget that the DS launched with no good games except for Super Mario 64 DS and by the time some good games got to the system, the PSP arrived and with it came all the franchises.  And let's not talk about vaporware like the remade Final Fantasy III.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

I didn't actually buy the DS, but Nintendo is notoriously bad about getting games out for launch for their systems. the GC was like that. As was the N64, SNES, etc.

Mageknight Locke

id love a sword controller, and especially a good star wars game that used it, that would redeem the franchise from the slew of utterly pathetic cash ins from my point of view and my kendo training will have to help me in video gaming at some point