How do you animate pics?

Started by Castle Pokemetroid, September 22, 2006, 12:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

I don't know. What program do you use? You might need to give every little step, since I can't find or do new stuff that easy. (It's true, even in real life.)

I might be a pain to teach, but I want to learn how. (But if I do learn something, I can remember it easily.)

Zedd

I sugjest the program GIMP or Something just as good..Im sure Rowe would help along

xHaZxMaTx

This program is very simple, but it gets the job done.  The files you need a .gif's.
http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on September 22, 2006, 01:30:06 AM
This program is very simple, but it gets the job done.  The files you need a .gif's.
http://www.jhepple.com/gif_animator.htm

How would I use that? Do I have to pay? How do I change non .gif images the .gif images?

xHaZxMaTx

The programs free, just download it and play around, it's pretty self explanatory.  How do you make non .gif images .gif?  Open the file in MS Paint, if you don't have anything else, and save it as a .gif.

Tapewolf

You haven't really said what kind of animation you're trying to do.  For a logo or something like that, GIF is probably fine (remember, it can only have up to 256 colours).
For a full-screen animation, you'd probably want to use Flash (which is vector-based).
For broadcast-quality animation, you'd either want a higher-end vector animation package (Synfig, something like that) or a video editing suite like Premier or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ITOS

If you have Photoshop you most likely also have Imageready which you can use to create a .GIF animation.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Castle Pokemetroid

Thank you guys! Now I know how to animate pics. Now I'll try to make a non .gif image to a .gif one and hope it works. *Heads off to work*

And I don't have photoshop.

*edit*
Ah-ha! I've got it!

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Castle Pokemetroid

Interesting, it has been moved. Dosen't matter, at least it reminded me that I wanted to animate something else . . .

Nikki

*trying it*

EDIT:

not bad for a first try eh? XD

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Castle Pokemetroid

Tada! I bet you know what that is!

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Xze-Xze on September 23, 2006, 12:35:06 AM
*trying it*

EDIT:

not bad for a first try eh? XD
Good for a first try, but try messing with the timing.  She blinks too often and too slowly.

Castle Pokemetroid

Damn, this was hard! And to acually make so that it's even and smooth, it's not worth it! Lets just say that he's jumping and whiping.

Look at my avatar. Not bad for a first try huh?

Aridas

Would it have killed you to realign the sprite properly? Even _I_ could do that, and I don't do this stuff, ever.

Castle Pokemetroid

Happy? I still say it's not worth it. Well, at least it didn't take as long as the first one. That took too long for me! Had ta make EVERY sprite the same size. I am lucky it was only 12 sprites, non-the-less.

Aridas

It's still not right. And if it's only 12, what's the big deal? That's really easy, in fact, I'll do that right now. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, aligning the sprites properly. Not gonna bother cropping the images.

Now, I've never seen the sprites before in my life, so I'm not sure exactly how they're supposed to behave. I'm pretty sure bobbing around erratically isn't the way, though.

You have a lot of redundant frames in this animation. 4, I think. Try just using one and then adding an additional delay between that frame and the next different one, for how many times you want the same frame visible. Speaking of which, you had no delay. The little man whips like a psycho in some programs.

Whip it.
Whip it good.

Castle Pokemetroid

Well, that one was to get more used to it. I can edit sprites, but I can't animate them. I'll need 20 more or so tries to get it that good.

And, how you make it so that it appears transparent?

Aridas

Well, if you aren't using a crappy program, it's usually easy to figure out. The program I use lets me choose a color from each frame as the transparent color, so I really can't help you with anything else. Plus, this one costs money to use >.>

Ask someone else really, because I don't remember how to do transparency in other programs, nor do I know anything about animation in other programs... or do I even know what you're using. o.O

Castle Pokemetroid

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't 100% know what I'm using.

Tiger_T

Nice try!

My advice:
Try it again and again until it works the way you want it to.

Only practicing will help you there.
As with any other skill. ;)

It'll get more smooth without the 'standing' frame.

Please make your next point learning to alter frame-delays.
You avatar needn't be 1MB big.

EDIT:
See:
12 KB

Tranparency - just for fun.
(File will be a bit bigger that way though)
60 KB
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Aridas

I already said most of that stuff, tiger. I also posted an image but it looks like it's gone and disappeared on me.

Tiger_T

Since it's gone, I didn't see it. :mowtongue ;)

Never mind. The important part is that we hopefully helped Castle Pokemetroid with these information and pictures. :mowwink
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK