Damnit...

Started by Esnel Pla, September 02, 2005, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esnel Pla

http://www.caligarimovie.com/

A remake of a classic film, most likely made to appeal to Tim Burton fans, who don't know that the original is where he got his influence.

Damnit. :(

Darkmoon

Never heard of it before... I feel like such a loser...

Helena

I'm a big Tim Burton fan and I don't like this.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Darkmoon

I'm really not a fan of the guy, His stuff is as much miss as hit with me. I dug Edward Scissorhands, Charlie the the Chocolate Factory was fun popcorn, and the Nightmare before Xmas was decent... the rest just has never thrilled me.

Esnel Pla

Ed Wood is my favorite of his, as it's one of the few of his movies that he didn't rip off the set design from Caligari.

Darkmoon

haha.

Ed Wood was okay, although it didn't wow me. Planet of the Apes, on the other hand, fucking blew. Gods, that movie pissed me off. Of course, I'm a fan of the classic series, and to see how badly he failed at making a movie anywhere near that bar was just aggrivating.

Helena

planet of the apes remake was boring...whenever remakes come out they usually can't amount to the original at all.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Darkmoon

That's not always true. Oceans Eleven was a fantastic movie.

But, with the new Planet of the Apes, originally it wasn't intended as a remake. It was supposed to be a sequel to the series. I'll get into details, but if you haven't seen the series and care about Spoliers, go no further:

The previous PotA movies had the human (Charlton Heston) go to the future, find out he was on earth, and watch the world get nuked for all finality. Then three apes luckily come to the past before the first apocalypse that reshaped the human world, thus changing history a bit. The new, future apes lead to a civilization of apes that tried to develop a harmony with humans as best they could (barring the few apes that wanted to destory everything). The new movie, as it was originally written, would take this new timeline, and pick up about 20 years after Charlton Heston lands on the planet, but instead of seeingit as a post apocalyptic wasteland like it originally was in movie 1, it would be this jungle paradise. So there's a whole new timeline and a new adventure to be had in that same universe.

Time Burton came along though, said "no, I want my goth writer to redo everything," and changed it in a fuckin waste of celluloid remake. Grrr.

Quientin

Tim Burton Screwed up batman..... and he tries to horde johnny depp which is also uncool

shoemaucher screwed up batman worse though

Darkmoon

I like Depp, and he makes most anythin he's in watchable.