Control, Alt, ... Chicken?

Started by Rowne, September 22, 2006, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowne

I'm not here for long but I had to stop by to share this.  Basically it's a show created for the internet and released under a Creative Commons (yay!) license.  That's not what's special about it though.  What's so bloody special is that it's the funniest thing I've seen this year, by a long shot.  I've been watching it and I've laughed myself to tears.

It's a great example of why you shouldn't put geeks, who've never cooked, in a kitchen and then tell them to actually cook things.  Their experiments range from Defcon 5 Nuclear Burnination Disaster to (surprisingly) Incredible and Edible.  Over the course of the episodes, they also get increasingly drunk and I swear that the whole show is just an excuse for them to get p'd ... whilst cooking.

It's genius.  So you should likely just click this link right here which leads to an index of all four episodes and watch them all in order.  They get more funny as they get more drunk, with Beef Wellington being side-splittingly bad.

And now I'm out again!

ShadesFox

You know... not I'm tempted to try my hand at Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I rather like cooking ^_^

Though where did those nuts go...

:rj
The All Purpose Fox

Zedd

Vidar

:laugh

Rule X of cooking: if you don't like touching raw meat, become a vegetarian.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Zedd

I can cook up some vegetarian curry for someone but it will take two days to make

Rowne

Vidar: So true.  I actually thought Heather was a vegetarian until she said "I know it's going to taste good but ...".  It would've made sense if she was and they were forcing her to do it just for humour value alone.

Poor Heather.  Though Heather is crazy, by the last episode she's so drunk that she's waving knives around and slurring.

I like her.

I also like Adam: "I have sherry!  :DDD  Let's use sherry!  Sherry is good!  There's a rumour that we CAN overmix meragne but I refuse to believe it.  Sherry?"

Zedd: You could always use Quorn.  Just be careful, people react to it differently.  For example, it's very meat like and it's made from processed fungus.  A Sister of mine loves it, she won't eat anything else.  It managed to make me VERY sick.  So you have to find out with a little bit of it first whether the person can eat it without it poisoning them.  If they can, yay.  It's much easier to make curry stuffs for them then.

----

And regarding the show, I'm surprised it didn't get more of a response.  It actually inspired me to cook.

This might be a bad thing, of course.

Very, very bad.

Zorro

Quote from: Zedd on September 23, 2006, 01:32:28 PM
I can cook up some vegetarian curry for someone but it will take two days to make

Not true.

Yes you can make a quite complicated curry that takes days  but that is not done often even in India.

Most popular vegetable curry in India is nothing more than yellow curry over potatoes with some peas.  You don't even have to really cook the peas if you use the frozen ones, just let the hot potatoes and curry heat them up like in a rice pilaf.

Zorro

Rowne

Indeed.  Still, Good Eats is rather legendary, like Mythbusters and Braniac.  Whereas Control+Alt+Chicken is relatively unknown.

Good Eats is genius though, great stuff.

Cvstos

Good Eats is one of my favorite shows.  Seriously.  I'm very unhappy that my dorm lacks Food Network.  We're trying to replace the shopping channels with Food Network and a couple others.

Oh, and forgive us Alton, but we use a rice cooker.  We eat enough of it to justify it's existence.  Seriously.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Boog

Cool show, but now I'm all hungry. :<

Hilary

:laugh Use the SIEVE!

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Use the sieve, Luke?

... what they *should* be using is an egg seperator. And they didn't use the whisk, which would have fluffed the egg whites much faster. And more completely, since that egg white wasn't stiff yet. *wince* I feel for their tummies, after the baked alaska.

-way- too high on the chicken, first, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Zorro

Quote from: Cvstos on September 23, 2006, 05:43:31 PM
Good Eats is one of my favorite shows.  Seriously.  I'm very unhappy that my dorm lacks Food Network.  We're trying to replace the shopping channels with Food Network and a couple others.

Oh, and forgive us Alton, but we use a rice cooker.  We eat enough of it to justify it's existence.  Seriously.

I use a Rice Cooker too.

Try this measure out all the rice and water and get it ready to turn on.

THEN  Sprinkle a good dose of Montreal Steak Seasoning on top of the water so it doesn't burn.

Makes EXCELLENT spiced Rice!

Vidar

Quote from: Zorro on September 23, 2006, 04:15:14 PM
As far as geeks cooking you know about Good Eats Right?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea

Also transcripts here: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

Alton Brown is the god of my kitchen. Even if I can't get food network over the pond, and he uses that stupidly complicated emperical measurement system instead of the beautiful simplicity that is the decimal system.
All hail the compyright infringers that put his show on the internet.

I still haven't tried the carboard box smoked salmon, though.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</