2017/03/12 [RE 50.19] - Everything I say is a lie

Started by Tapewolf, March 12, 2017, 05:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Given that it's the Lord of Lies, is it a good idea to believe anything he says as the result of a prayer?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Interestingly enough, anything he's ever said has never been a lie. Just intentionally misleading. So I believe it's "Believe him, but with the finest grain of salt."

After all, if he were an ass to all of his followers, who would really want to follow him.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on March 12, 2017, 07:10:19 PM
After all, if he were an ass to all of his followers, who would really want to follow him.

Not sure if I buy that line of reasoning.  After all, you might equally say "If worshipping him will get you executed, who would want to follow him?", but people do...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

"Trust me" is more like good or bad advice rather than a truth or a lie.
also jake is super frustrating to write lines for

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 12, 2017, 07:46:15 PM
Quote from: Puyon on March 12, 2017, 07:10:19 PM

Not sure if I buy that line of reasoning.  After all, you might equally say "If worshipping him will get you executed, who would want to follow him?", but people do...

It's easier to hide followship than it is to prevent your god from being a jerk to you. Being a trickster has it's own list of pros and cons...

Pros: Useful non-lethal magic, laid-back worship, pranks are considered prayer, killing enemies is not required
Cons: Half the world will want you dead, in most cases the law will not protect you, lose the ability to use the most convenient forms of magic, everyone thinks your god is a jerk and there's a good chance that's 100% true

...guess it really depends on someone's skill as a liar and their sentimental views on the religion to actually say for sure if the pros outweigh the cons or vice-versa. In any case, I'm sure Jake is smart enough not to hold back information that might be dangerous for a favored follower like Jinx.
...By Puyon