Something I learned today

Started by Destina Faroda, September 13, 2005, 05:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destina Faroda

If you're preloading images with Javascript, you have to make sure all the other images on your page, even those that have nothing to do with your Javascript code, load, or else the preload will never finish.

Don't ask me why this happened.  It makes no sense to me that something not even related to the Javascript would affect its execution. :erk
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

hat's the beauty of javascript: it sucks.

Achirio

And not only that, it also adds that this particular javascript must have had extremely bad coding if it affects the est of the page.

Destina Faroda

Now it works in Firefox but not IE...so many browser troubles.  It'll take me another four days to figure this out.

Stupid "document[...] is null or not an object" error

Update:  Okay, I figured out the answer in under four days.  I found it in less than four hours, amazingly enough, but I feel compelled to say what the answer is not.

Numerous sites say the changeImages function as set up by Adobe ImageReady is wrong.  However, this generated code is correct.  Some site say the "name" attribute is missing, but it was there.  And some sites say one passes too many or too few arguments when calling the function in the body of the HTML, but I checked that every instance not only passed the right number of arguments (two) but the right ones (image name and the new location of the image).

The answer is that Internet Explorer and Javascript don't like pure numbers inserted as "name" values.  It has to contain both letters and digits (or maybe just letters) or else it won't work.  I would have thought it would read the name as a character string regardless of whether it contained numerals, but I guess I was mistaken.

Or as Enzo Matrix would shout, "Alphanumeric!"
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

Well I hate javascript for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it doesn't work right in all browsers no matter what you do.

Quientin

I hated javascript...... that class made me wanna drop to an audit.......

when you figure it out i have a job for you

take the pepsi challenge and get Fedora core 4 to work on an acer travelmate

Unix Killed My Inner Child

Quientin

mean it!!!!!

If you can understand javascript with out a problem... you can make unix work on my laptop.... help me.... lol

Destina Faroda

I know a little UNix, but I'm not Unix expert.  All I know how to do is move around in directories.
Sig coming...whenever...

Mageknight Locke

microsoft used a load of lobotomised tortoises to program their java, so the source code has a turd load of errors and useless cack in it, its soo rubbish that legal action was taken against microsoft forcing them to stop production of it. to solve your probelm and prevent similar ones just use firefox and sun microsystems java, better by 10 fold and prevents idiot exploiter from compromising your computers security