2016/03/07 [EP #10-02] - Elephant in the room

Started by ZacAttac21, March 07, 2016, 12:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

Wait a tic. You mean to tell me that Mundesburg forbids computers too!?

Wow. That is somehow both hilarious and sad at the same time.

Tapewolf

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 07, 2016, 12:32:47 AM
Wait a tic. You mean to tell me that Mundesburg forbids computers too!?

Wow. That is somehow both hilarious and sad at the same time.

Technologically Mundesburg is a weird mixture of the 1800s and the medieval era, and they are determined to keep things that way.  Though there are exemptions for some of the rulers and the guards.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

Wait... some long-lived ancient magical creature is more technologically adept and forward thinking than all the normal boring mooks around him?

The irony. It hurts.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on March 07, 2016, 07:15:44 AM
Wait... some long-lived ancient magical creature is more technologically adept and forward thinking than all the normal boring mooks around him?

It's more that technology might empower the citizenry to the point where it's harder to control them.  It owes a bit to the Court of the Useless Kings in 'Against a Dark Background' by Iain M Banks, where one of the King's duties was to spend the entire budgetary surplus on junk.  This was to ensure that there wasn't anything left over for research or other things that might result in scientific progress and change the status quo.  Barring the spaceport, pretty much the entire planet was off-grid - although the government itself imported blasters and other high-tech items of weaponry for their own use.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Raskahn

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 07, 2016, 07:40:33 AM
Quote from: Eboreg on March 07, 2016, 07:15:44 AM

It's more that technology might empower the citizenry to the point where it's harder to control them.  It owes a bit to the Court of the Useless Kings in 'Against a Dark Background' by Iain M Banks, where one of the King's duties was to spend the entire budgetary surplus on junk.  This was to ensure that there wasn't anything left over for research or other things that might result in scientific progress and change the status quo.  Barring the spaceport, pretty much the entire planet was off-grid - although the government itself imported blasters and other high-tech items of weaponry for their own use.

As the politician said to the priest: "I'll keep them poor, you keep them stupid."

Gelpi