2015/08/03 [DMFA #1594] Sympathy for the Devil

Started by Tapewolf, August 03, 2015, 04:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Regarding Aniz' later exploits it would be interesting to know whether Furrae has a concept of 'not guity by reason of insanity'.  Though it may vary from place to  place.
It will also be interesting to see how Dan takes all this, since his first view of Aniz is portrayed a broken unfortunate, whereas Abel's first knowledge of him was when he ruined his life.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

HaDDea

Falling through the cracks means there are still pieces nearby. Aniz was alone, he fell through void.

Only void.

and the wrecking circle continues on and on...

Nightmask

Unfortunately for Aniz an insanity defense really doesn't cut it, his actions were done with reasoned intent.  Just thing revolving around Abel removes any sort of insanity defense one might raise.

Drakkenmensch

Suddenly Aniz's actions make a lot more sense. Despicable as they are, there's a reason behind all of it.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2015, 04:31:42 AM
Regarding Aniz' later exploits it would be interesting to know whether Furrae has a concept of 'not guity by reason of insanity'.  Though it may vary from place to  place.
It might help explain why Kria isn't in prison, what with all the people-eating.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Nightmask

Quote from: Cassi-kun on August 03, 2015, 05:10:08 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2015, 04:31:42 AM
It might help explain why Kria isn't in prison, what with all the people-eating.

That has more to do with the legal system making it impossible to hold her guilty of murder for killing beings, because it's split with beings judging other beings and creatures judging other creatures, and the creatures just don't see what she does as wrong (remember one of the pages regarding that shows someone going after her in court for murder and her 'sentence' being to pay a fine that she whips out her checkbook to pay).  Which is why the adventurer guilds are so active, with mercenaries being hired to exact revenge because surviving members of victims can't get justice in the legal system.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Nightmask on August 03, 2015, 05:12:32 AM
Unfortunately for Aniz an insanity defense really doesn't cut it, his actions were done with reasoned intent.  Just thing revolving around Abel removes any sort of insanity defense one might raise.

That depends on your definition of insanity. The legal definition in America is "Either the inability to distinguish between right and wrong, or the ability to distinguish between right and wrong but lacking the mental capacity to keep from doing wrong." But that's just for the courts. There is the concept of the calculatingly insane.
I have a very hard time sympathizing with Aniz especially because of what he did to May when he sired Abel (and likely throughout their 'marriage' as well). But there's no denying Aniz is a trauma survivor, and his mental and emotional health was probably compromised in much the same way as those of genocide survivors. Trauma physically changes the brain; its physiology is altered, generally permanently but I don't know for sure it's impossible to change that with extensive medical intervention.

EDIT:
I should clarify that I don't mean to suggest his actions are in anyway justifiable. Just that it might be complicated.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

justacritic

Well this might explain a reluctance on Fa'Linda's to talk about Aniz's situation. It's a mirror of her own. Aniz lost everybody as a clan member, while Fa'Linda lost everybody as a Clan Leader.

Aniz probably went even more off the deep end because he has the option to repopulate his clan. And to see this as the hope to clearing the isolation , well it's not doing well for mental balance.

FairWage22

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on August 03, 2015, 07:42:48 AM
Suddenly Aniz's actions make a lot more sense. Despicable as they are, there's a reason behind all of it.

And... also makes Destania's subsequent actions make a lot more sense, as well.   Though I can't help but wonder how much of this mess would have been avoided if Seme had been able to help Aniz...
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.