2015/03/12 [PF #359] Sworn Enemy of Q&B DIY, Ltd.

Started by ZacAttac21, March 13, 2015, 01:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

I almost forgot Daryil's wings were once all-gray. And there was a time when he actually wore normal clothes??

And what does "64 discounts" mean? 10% x 64?

Raskahn

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 13, 2015, 01:34:16 AM
I almost forgot Daryil's wings were once all-gray. And there was a time when he actually wore normal clothes??

Daryil's cast page has him aged 4200. I suspect 65x64=4160 his age at the time?

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on March 13, 2015, 04:05:18 AM

That makes sense. But what does that mean for his discount? How much did he save?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on March 13, 2015, 04:05:18 AM

Up until he's 4225 he's only be entitled to 64 by his logic.  It's not like they give you a 5% discount for being 32.5 :3

It was long enough ago that I forgot what I was doing and made them all dark grey at first.  It wasn't until I referred back to chapter 3 for the Willy Wonka clothing colours I realised my mistake.

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 13, 2015, 04:41:19 AM
That makes sense. But what does that mean for his discount? How much did he save?

"[Daryil] decided to refit the kitchens in the base and what he'd chosen cost almost exactly ten thousand gold dollars.  Now, bear in mind that Q&B is a Being-run chain - some bright spark in management got the idea of running a ten percent discount for anyone over sixty-five.
"Daryil was 4200 years old so he said that he was entitled to 64 of them and demanded the discount.  When they refused he threatened to sue, and in the end he walked out with the entire thing for about a tenner."

Mental arithmetic came a lot easier to Joshua now than it had before, which was kind of cool.  Whenever he wanted to know the time or the answer to a simple mathematical calculation, it would just be there, in his mind.  The only drawback was that puzzle books weren't much fun anymore.  He glanced at Jakob and whistled.  "That's a discount of about 99.999 percent, isn't it?"

"Something like.  Of course, other Creatures found out about it and there was a run on the stores.  They very quickly changed the terms and conditions so that only Beings were eligible, and promptly found themselves being sued for discrimination by Weres, Phoenixes and certain species of Mythos - basically most Creatures with a nominal lifespan of around 90 years.  So all in all, Daryil is somewhat less than welcome around here."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

A far more likely - and boring - result is management insisting on only one discount per person.

But that isn't likely to happen to Daryil, ever, anywhere. Because it would be boring and simple. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Raskahn

It's funny because it would totally happen.

Another way it could work. (gods, I suck at math)

Aged 65 - 10%
Aged 130 - 20%

Giving a 70% discount at age 4160 or 100% at 33280

Gabi

Technically, it was 10% discount for anyone older than 64, not for every 64 years of life. That still makes the vast majority of Cubi, Angels and Demons eligible, which goes against the spirit of the policy, but even so nothing in the original terms suggested that any discount higher than 10% would be given to any customer.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Madmann135

to be fare it could have applied to "senior citizens" only.  That way 65+ year old cubi would not qualify as cubi senior citizenship is around 3610 years old (going by the theory that the average cubi life span is 5000 years).

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Scow2

Why would Darryl be entitled to multiple discounts? It's a 10% discount for anyone over 65. Not a multiplier. Worst-case situation for the owner is he has to give a bunch of creatures a discount he'd rather not.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Scow2 on March 16, 2015, 10:09:02 AM
Why would Darryl be entitled to multiple discounts? It's a 10% discount for anyone over 65. Not a multiplier. Worst-case situation for the owner is he has to give a bunch of creatures a discount he'd rather not.

"You show me in the terms where it says that can't happen!"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 14, 2015, 03:10:05 PM
to be fare it could have applied to "senior citizens" only.  That way 65+ year old cubi would not qualify as cubi senior citizenship is around 3610 years old (going by the theory that the average cubi life span is 5000 years).

Average Cubi lifespan is 1500, last I checked. Did Ambaargh edit that?

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2015, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: Scow2 on March 16, 2015, 10:09:02 AM
"You show me in the terms where it says that can't happen!"

"Nothing in the terms says it does happen, either. If you can show me where the terms say this does happen, we'll be more than happy to give you your discount. Until then, move along, you're disturbing the other customers. Next!"

Merlin

Nothing in the rules says a giraffe can't play football!

Uh sorry I've been watching too much Clone High this week. Daryil's an excellent rules-lawyer, the mystery of how he managed to pull off something so bizarre just adds to it >:3

ZacAttac21

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 16, 2015, 12:03:20 PM

3000+ http://missmab.com/Demo/cubi.php

Kuzma Volkov

Just imagine if this was modern day US. He'd be trying to collect 64 social security checks a month.   :mwaha

Raskahn

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on March 17, 2015, 04:10:50 PM
Just imagine if this was modern day US. He'd be trying to collect 64 social security checks a month.   :mwaha

This calls for extreme usage of "the finger pyramid of evil contemplation"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 17, 2015, 12:11:36 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 16, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
3000+ http://missmab.com/Demo/cubi.php

No, I'm afraid not. That says "Maximum", not "Average"; there is a significant mathematical difference between the two.

Try again? ;-]

ZacAttac21

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 18, 2015, 12:05:41 AM
Dang, that never even occurred to me... :<

Sorry. Didn't mean to rain on your parade - I mean, be aware that the tri-wings do boost the average a little, and that that number is without including the tri-wings, IIRC, and that Ambaaargh has said that many of those numbers are purely indicative, and shouldn't be taken as anything useful because most Creatures tend to "live fast, die young", as it were.

So it's not as easy to list a number as you might think.