Stepped Into It Again

Started by Dishonored, October 24, 2014, 02:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishonored

...You'd think I'd know better by now.

Okay. The same day that I put Surprise the kitten outdoors to live free among her own kind, another Mama cat (named Baby) had five kittens literally on my front step. Then tried to abandon them. So I brought her and them in, caged them up, two died, but the three survived. All was well for about a month or so.

Then Baby decided she was done, finito, and when trashing the cage didn't work, she tried harming her kittens. Out she went, I'm back to being "mama" again. Same old, doing good, etc.

Then just a week or so ago, another mama cat (Freckles) decided to wean her 8-week-old kittens by dragging them off into the woods and abandoning them. They made their way back, but in really sorry shape. So in addition to the three gremlin-kittens mentioned above, I have added four swarm-kittens. Top it with my decrepit indoor tomcat, I have a grand total of 8 felines in my house through winter.

...Any takers? I'll post pics when I can get them to sit still long enough to be more than blurs.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Amber Williams

My goodness.  You're like training to be a tier 8 crazy cat person. :U

I hope things work out. And yow...I hope you can find that many kitties a home.

Dishonored

Well, I currently have thirty cats total, indoors and out, mostly out. I live on a six-acre farm, so most are farm/barn cats that are way too spoiled to be considered wild. I feed them, love them, and fix them up if they get hurt or sick; otherwise they're pretty self-sufficient.

And oddly enough, most of my adult females are fixed. I just have a few that are baby-making machines, and are unfortunately too wild to catch between litters. (Freckles alone drops two to three litters of 3-10 kittens each year; she's next to the vet!)

The "swarm" kittens are Half, Smudge, Yo-yo, and Triangle. The "gremlin" kittens are Doc, Riddler, and Nameless.

Doc chillin' in the chair:

Riddler as a baby. The reverse question mark is natural:

And now that he's bigger:

Live for the Swarm! Top to bottom: Triangle, Smudge, and Half:

Last one! Half, Yo-yo, Doc, Triangle, and Nameless:

(Modified for added cuteness!)
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

ZacAttac21

Any particular reason for the names "swarm" and "gremlin"?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I disagree.

Training is complete, now he has become the master. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

Quote from: CubiKitsune on October 27, 2014, 12:49:02 AM
Any particular reason for the names "swarm" and "gremlin"?

The gremlins got their name because I had them in a large cage until they were litterbox trained enough to roam my house on their own, and they were getting fed at midnight as one of their daily feeding times. When I'd feed them, they would literally howl and climb the cage bars like...gremlins.

The swarm kittens were born in the woodpile, deep in a hollow with a narrow entrance that Freckles could barely fit into. If you went near while she wasn't there, the kittens would come swarming out like bees, looking for attention.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 27, 2014, 11:14:28 AM
I disagree.

Training is complete, now he has become the master. ;-]

Crazy cat lady guy? Sort of. I've had salamanders, hermit crabs, cats, dogs, gerbils, guinea pigs...I think I'm the rescue animal dumping ground. Most of my cats are either dumped out here in the country to die, or are the offspring of ones that were. Heck, Freckles I found at work as a baby kitten, trying to climb in peoples' cars for food.

Alondro

CRAZY CAT PERSON!!!   :U

The most we had was 6.  But that was my mom's doing.

We have 4 now, all 100% inside cats (they pretty much are terrified of THE OUTSIDE!!), plus one stray outside that shows up now and then for food but is afraid of people
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dishonored

Quick update, minus pictures. All seven of the little guys are doing well, getting bigger and rougher. Thankfully they don't climb much, but they DO keep me on my toes!

ChaosMageX

One Selkirk Rex is enough for me right now, though I have to admit that those kittens do look freaking adorable.

Regardless, I guess I'll be the one to ask: Have they all been properly checked out and vaccinated by a certified veterinarian?  Are there any signs of any potential health issues in any of them?

Icon by Sunblink

Brunhidden

i find it odd im treating this in my mind like it was people- that you are somehow breaking domestic abuse cycles. i kinda wish parents who lashed out at their kids like that could be spayed though, some people really don't deserve the honor of being a parent

some cats are assholes, it sounds like a joke but im glad the kittens get raised lovingly and with luck grow up to be pleasant little furballs instead of vicious strays

sometimes a little love is all it takes, and i hope its rewarding for you too
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Dishonored

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 15, 2014, 03:07:48 PM
Have they all been properly checked out and vaccinated by a certified veterinarian?  Are there any signs of any potential health issues in any of them?

Yes and yes, although by now I know enough to cover most basic healthcare issues. The gremlin kittens had something hit the litter when they were first abandoned that the vet couldn't nail down, sort of a failure to thrive. That's what caused the deaths, but the remaing three recovered fully for again, no apparent reason whatsoever.

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 16, 2014, 01:32:26 AM
i find it odd im treating this in my mind like it was people- that you are somehow breaking domestic abuse cycles. i kinda wish parents who lashed out at their kids like that could be spayed though, some people really don't deserve the honor of being a parent

some cats are assholes, it sounds like a joke but im glad the kittens get raised lovingly and with luck grow up to be pleasant little furballs instead of vicious strays

sometimes a little love is all it takes, and i hope its rewarding for you too

Agreed on the first point. And two of these lil guys are working their way to asshole status. Smudge has been nicknamed "the Eater" because she chews on everything...including me. I have no feeling in my left hand from an old injury; I have to keep it under covers at night or she chews my fingertips.
But all in all, I love them and enjoy having them in my life.