Open request to Amber with Abel-

Started by DrakeArron, November 07, 2014, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrakeArron

Amber,

I don't know if you do plan on having Abel love anyone or not, but on behalf of actual asexuals, I want to ask against it ahead of time.

One of the most common types of asexual are those who actually don't experience love in the married/dating sense, even without sexual relations. This is so much disbelieved by many people, that even LGBT communities will say things like "you just haven't met the right person yet", or "you don't know what it feels like yet", etc.

This can really get on the nerves of asexual people, and they already have enough bias against them with much of our culture based around love.

Here's a more detailed post on it; http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2014/11/guest-post-asexual-awareness/

Its just, I really like this comic, and if were to tarnish the already bad situation of this group I'd have a really hard time reading it.

Jasonrevall

"You can have asexuals who are sex repulsed.  You can also have asexuals who like sex. There are asexuals whoare very romantic and there are asexuals who are romance repulsed as well.  Me?  I identify as asexual demiromantic who experiences aesthetic attraction.  But there are any kinds of combinations out there."

That is from the link you posted. You should go back and read your own references.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

FoxFeather

As an asexual AND a creator myself, I believe Amber shouldn't restrict Abel according to what other feels he should or should not be. Wierd as it may seem to say, our character themselves often dictate who they are, and how they would react to a situation or another, including with love. Though Abel doesn't SEEM apriori to be an asexual with strong romantic connection, should he ever show some need for companionship or otherwise, he will not be any less of an asexual, much the same way me having a boyfriend and desiring to eventually have a familly does not make me less of an asexual. We each live our life and sexuallity, be it straight, gay, bi, or asexuallity, in our own, personal way, and it's great this way =3

Brunhidden

part of the problem here is that wonderful thing called the human condition. it applies in this case even if the word 'human' is not biologically appropriate.

quite simply, we don't know everything about ourselves. all of life is discovery, opinions can change, feelings can change, even who you are can change. assuming you KNOW something is often the same thing as refusing to be open to ideas

humans are, by their very nature, a little lost. it explains a lot about them

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Howl

And to me it seems more likely that he's hiding from himself. Not saying he can't be asexual, but I am saying that he might just be saying that because he's in denial. He may have more to learn about himself.

So basically what Brun said.

Sunblink

"on behalf of actual asexuals"

I certainly hope you don't mean to imply that only "real" asexuals don't experience romantic affection. As Jason said, the information you provided doesn't contradict what people have told you about asexuality and aromanticism not being the same thing.

Yeah, aromanticism is underrepresented in media, but so is the idea that people can experience romantic attraction without the need for sex. A lot of asexuals in marriages with allosexual (not-asexual) partners get all kinds of garbage from people that think that they're being unfair to their spouses and that their asexuality is something they can just switch off. If Abel had a crush on Jyrras, it wouldn't make him any less asexual. It wouldn't mean that Jyrras "cured" him or that it was just a phase.

Rafe

Quote from: Sunblink on November 09, 2014, 03:11:08 PM
...If Abel had a crush on Jyrras, it wouldn't make him any less asexual. It wouldn't mean that Jyrras "cured" him or that it was just a phase.

Not to mention that, when you really think of it, 400 years is a long time for it to be a "phase".
Rafe

Sunblink

Quote from: Rafe on November 09, 2014, 10:39:24 PM
...If Abel had a crush on Jyrras, it wouldn't make him any less asexual. It wouldn't mean that Jyrras "cured" him or that it was just a phase.

Not to mention that, when you really think of it, 400 years is a long time for it to be a "phase".

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about that part.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Rafe on November 09, 2014, 10:39:24 PM

That doesn't mean it can't be a phase, all the same. Learning about yourself can happen anytime, no matter how old you are.

If you're lucky, anyway.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bradypodidae

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 10, 2014, 11:17:25 AM

... . Learning about yourself can happen anytime, no matter how old you are.

If you're lucky, anyway.

Some of us are banking on this >.>;;;
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC