Sneaky secret chickens

Started by thegayhare, October 04, 2014, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

The girls have started to wander off lately because in the fall bugs are scarcer. so while we let them out of the coop we confine them to the fenced in area till about 2 pm. after that we let them out cause they wont stay out long enough to wander to far before bed time. I went out to give them some treats and Lizzy squeaked right out by me brushing past my leg and runs off.

I chased after her and she ran past the wood pile

darted behind and between two stacks

and ducked under a a sheet of tin roofing.

I tried to find a angle to see what she was up to and spotted this...

10 eggs 10 of them... the sneaky bitches
http://youtu.be/TfiR6KoQVi4

Merlin

Quote from: thegayhare on October 04, 2014, 04:08:25 PM

10 eggs 10 of them... the sneaky bitches
http://youtu.be/TfiR6KoQVi4

Ha! Hens can be so special about hiding eggs. I used to have a tiny little bantam that'd find spots in the garden only she could fit in to lay. between a tree and a pillar, that sort of thing. My current hens got pushed out of the laying boxes by my incredibly broody Sussex, so they've taken to laying behind the barbeque... sneaky things.

thegayhare

I have one that is often so busy pecking and hunting she puts off laying until it's to late.  More then once I've seen her running full tilt for the coop.   Saddling slightly like she's trying to hold it in only to not make it and plop a nice new egg nestled in the grass.   She always puffs up her feathers and clucks to her self after and I can swear I hear her saying...  "Oh my how embarrassing"

And you just reminded me I need to check under the shed.    I've done so once a week all summer and never found an egg but I haven't this fall

ZacAttac21

"Okay girls, let's see who can lay in the most inconvenient place possible!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: CubiKitsune on October 06, 2014, 02:56:51 AM
"Okay girls, let's see who can lay in the most inconvenient place possible!"

Hehehe. It seems like that, sometimes. >.>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears