Fascinating New Sci-Fi Tabletop: HC SVNT DRACONES

Started by ChaosMageX, September 26, 2014, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I recently came across a kickstarter for a new science fiction tabletop roleplaying game called HC SVNT DRACONES.  Not only does its lore and setting seem interesting, but it also has a fascinating 8-10-12 dice system that allows for multiple ways to solve problems, which is apparently more expansive than the dice systems of other tabletops.
The gist of the setting is that humanity has destroyed itself and left behind races called vectors (essentially anthropomorphic animals and other more xenomorphic creatures) which have no knowledge of human history to draw upon, which has basically given them a clean slate.
What's also interesting is that it recently surpassed its stretch goal of making a smartphone/tablet app for creating characters and emailing them to other players, and I can't wait to see what that will look like.
More information can be found on its KickStarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1448273438/hc-svnt-dracones

I don't have that much experience in tabletop roleplaying games, but I have to admit that its artwork, setting, and system rules have intrigued me enough to consider backing it.  I want to share it here because I want to hear what others who have more experience in tabletop RPGs think of its setting and role system.

Icon by Sunblink

Tuyu

I heard about that on another forum.

They don't say much about their rule system, but to me, what little they do say sounds a lot like Ironclaw.

Colgatecrusader

The only tabletop experience I have is with pathfinder and dnd 3.5, I also did a one off of dungeon world, but I don't really count that... So here's my three cents,

I like the idea of having multiple avenues of approach in dealing with things. Going with the example he used: intimidate, it always struck me as odd that in dnd the only stat you could use was Charisma, what if you were an uncharismatic hulking barbarian? or were intimidating someone with your wit and intelligence?

That said, the combination of four traits and then five sub-traits to go with those sounds like it could get complicated really fast, and would amount to a lot of arguments along the lines of, when does community resilience, or when does community strength apply...
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Colgatecrusader on October 05, 2014, 04:24:24 AM
I like the idea of having multiple avenues of approach in dealing with things. Going with the example he used: intimidate, it always struck me as odd that in dnd the only stat you could use was Charisma, what if you were an uncharismatic hulking barbarian? or were intimidating someone with your wit and intelligence?

If you're a big hulking brute,you're intimidating with your lack of charisma.

... in which case, 20-score to find out how hard it is to manage, I'd say.

Really, one would think you'd follow that - it seems entirely simple to me.

( Subtle, subtle. ;-] )
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears