[HyL 01-03] Keaton isn't very good at empathising

Started by Farry, July 26, 2014, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farry

Just noticed this new comic. looking good so far.

So. If Jakob was "Johan Cross" at the end of "Turning a New Page", it would seem that phase didn't last very long and this is a rebound? I've just checked Jakob's entry in the DMFA wiki, and it says that he was Johan Cross for 300 years? Aaand I now see that the wiki refers to a 99 (!) chapter text story, which I presume is where the 300 years comes from, and which is no longer canonical? Unless it's Keaton that turns him into Johan Cross? Unless it's all yet to be revealed...

Eboreg

I'm thinking this was probably a side thing that was a bit of an aside from running a city-state. Besides, this was pretty early on in the whole deal so I doubt the 'Johan Cross' persona was that established early on.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Farry on July 26, 2014, 01:07:56 PM
Just noticed this new comic. looking good so far.

So. If Jakob was "Johan Cross" at the end of "Turning a New Page", it would seem that phase didn't last very long and this is a rebound? I've just checked Jakob's entry in the DMFA wiki, and it says that he was Johan Cross for 300 years? Aaand I now see that the wiki refers to a 99 (!) chapter text story, which I presume is where the 300 years comes from, and which is no longer canonical? Unless it's Keaton that turns him into Johan Cross? Unless it's all yet to be revealed...

In Tapewolf's own words: "It is set after Azrael's death, but before Jakob really started to go weird."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Farry on July 26, 2014, 01:07:56 PM
So. If Jakob was "Johan Cross" at the end of "Turning a New Page", it would seem that phase didn't last very long and this is a rebound?

As CubiKitsune says, it's before he really started to lose it.  He is a bit weird and it will come out over the course of the story.

QuoteI've just checked Jakob's entry in the DMFA wiki, and it says that he was Johan Cross for 300 years? Aaand I now see that the wiki refers to a 99 (!) chapter text story, which I presume is where the 300 years comes from, and which is no longer canonical?

There never was a 99 chapter story.  The original story was 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn', which I think ran to about 40 chapters, not all of which are still considered canon.  Some of them do things that affect continuity with DMFA - typically things were revealed later that broke them - others just haven't aged well.  Most of the backstories are things which I still feel hold up well enough to be turned into comic form.

'Future History' ran to 60 chapters - it was adapted into Project Future, with one or two edits and changes here and there.

'Project Epsilon' ran to 62 chapters.  There were also a few miscellaneous short stories written between Future and Epsilon - of these most are still considered canon - the early one where Keaton goes off on a bender isn't, and frankly I wasn't convinced about it at the time of writing either.
The Epsilon prologue and 'Critical Mass' were taken from these short stories - 'Red Valentine' was written as a one-off short during the Future History series.

'Heads' was written last Christmas, and as such is one of the most recent stories.  To date, the only story after that was 'The Axeman Cometh' which was written to be more easily converted into comic form - Heads was not written with that in mind, so we're going to have to tone down the gore somewhat.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E