So, you're sick - What to do ?

Started by Anker Steadfast, March 01, 2010, 12:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anker Steadfast

Well, let's imagine you have gotten sick and have confined yourself to bed - What would you be able to do then ?

Well, if you have a laptop, you could take it to bed and watch youtube video's and surf the web for strange pictures from abroad.
But really, if you are anything like me, you are likely reading webcomics!

So, lets share which ones out there are the GOOD ones ... apart from DMFA offcourse. :D

Lets start off with 3 comics each, Name with link to homepage, and a short description with appropriate warnings if it's very gory or has rampant sex in it.

Astray 3
An epic journey that takes our heroine into another universe full of monsters furries and even an Oven Monster!
The art is sublime (godly backgrounds), the universe wonderfully different and the story beggars the mind.
No nudity, but a good deal of fighting makes it fair game for teens and up.

Girl Genius
The story of how a young woman end up entangled in a story and a plot that runs so deep, that she will probably have to save the world TWICE before she can make heads or tails of it. Not only does she have an arch-nemesis, she has several of them. Well, maybe one of them is actually her future father in law, who is currently the Leader of Europe, a mad scientist and also a man who builds castles in the sky ... literally!
The art has changed much over the time, but by now it is really good, and the storytelling is both intricate and epic in scale.
No nudity or sex, though there's a bit of innuendo and and good deal of fighting. Teens and up seems safe.

Tales of the Traveling Gnome
So far it seems to be a fairly straight forward fantasy adventuring .. uhm .. adventure story.
It has gnomes, barbarians, healing priests and so on, looking rather D&D inspired.
And for some reason, I'm absolutely sold on it - Not exactly sure why, but it has the cutest little imp familiar and some good art.
As mentioned, art is good, story seems somewhat generic but solid.
Lots of fighting and many very serious faces makes it a teen and up comic as well.

Allright, those were my 3, now lets hear it from the rest of you guys. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

RobbieThe1st

TwoKinds
TwoKinds - A Furry webcomic/web-graphic-novel, the main plot centers on a human named Trace and a Keidran(Furry race) named Flora, in a romantic-comedy-adventure type setting.
Updates once a week currently, and has been around since 2003. PG13, pushing M

Namir Deiter & You Say It First.
Both comics are by Isabel Marks, who colors Kevin and Kell.
These comics are sort of slice-of-life comics; some romance in them - overall, a light read, and pretty. PG
The archives are -enormous-!

Sequential Art
Sequential Art - What can I say? Simple, black & white. Several main story arcs, interspersed with one-off comics; overall a good read. PG-PG13.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Turnsky

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 01, 2010, 12:49:14 AM

Tales of the Traveling Gnome
So far it seems to be a fairly straight forward fantasy adventuring .. uhm .. adventure story.
It has gnomes, barbarians, healing priests and so on, looking rather D&D inspired.
And for some reason, I'm absolutely sold on it - Not exactly sure why, but it has the cutest little imp familiar and some good art.
Lots of fighting and many very serious faces makes it a teen and up comic as well.

both the artist and writer of this particular comic are good friends of mine, me and Matt have bounced ideas off of eachother now and again, and i'm glad to say he's also kicked his world of warcraft habit.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Colgatecrusader

sometimes i'll go through and read old terror island comics... these things never get old.
http://terrorisland.net/
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Drayco84

HOLY CRAP! IT'S THE THRADDASH!
So, they still on Culture 13 or are they extinct? (Don't tell me, I already know...  :mwaha)

Anyway, back on topic...

http://laslindas.katbox.net/
Nobody's mentioned Las Lindas, made by the ever-talented Chalo-san? Well, few people have posted so far... His Breasts are Best mini-series is the only one that features nudity.

http://goblins.keenspot.com/
This one is about goblins and a D&D campaign from their point of view. Lots of violence, though.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html
Another D&D comic, but the author makes me feel better about my own, virtually non-existent artistic abilities. Some violence, but they're rather detailed stick figures.

Sind

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 01, 2010, 02:23:27 AM
http://laslindas.katbox.net/
Nobody's mentioned Las Lindas, made by the ever-talented Chalo-san? Well, few people have posted so far... His Breasts are Best mini-series is the only one that features nudity.
and don't forget the rest of the Katbox webcomics, their all worth a shot  :>
And I'm also proud to say that I'm the one who drew the favicons for LasLindas, CaribbeanBlue and the main site/forums  >:]

I'll count that as one comic, and introduce two more  :3

Bug
A five-times-a-week-updating webcomic about the randomness that exists. You're almost guarantied to get a good laugh of at least three quarters of the strips

Furry Experience
A fairly new comic about the wacky campus-life of some roommates, with really creative humor.
(somewhat adult-themed at times, though nothing NSFW)

Naldru

http://www.peteristhewolf.com Peter is The Wolf --  Peter is a werewolf, who together with other werewolves, have adventures with werewolf hunters, internal rivalries, and getting through college.  There is a PG-13 version and a very definitely NSFW (Not safe for work) version on the site.  I stick to the tamer version.

http://freefall.purrsia.com Freefall - Florence Ambrose is a genetically modified wolf who is highly ethical and competent.  She is the engineer on  the Savage Chicken.  Sam Starfall is the captain of the ship, who is highly incompetent and whose ethics make Ferengi and sharks look like saints. Look here for more biographical information as the characters also appear in the Cross Time Cafe.  Nothing objectionable.  Florence has an engineer's sense of humor.

http://kevinandkell.com  Kevin and Kell - I believe that I saw Isabel Marks listed as the colorist, but I didn't see a reference to this strip.  Kevin is a rabbit who is married to a wolf named Kell.  Kell recently broke her tibia, a condition that she shares with me.  (I actually broke both the tibia and fibia.)  There is an annual dinner at Anthrcon for his supporters.  Definitely a must read, and is definitely G.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

A. Lurker

Keychain of Creation: Another stick figure/RPG comic similar to Order of the Stick (though the art evolves over time), this one is set in the world of the Exalted role-playing game. A Solar who can't remember his mortal life before his Exaltation, a Lunar who gives new meaning to the term 'foxy lady', an old elemental-style martial artist a bit too fond of his drink, and possibly the cutest Abyssal Exalted in all of Creation team up to find the Keys of Creation before they can fall into the hands of their enemies. Starts out funny, but the RPG jokes make room for an actual plot fairly quickly, though plenty of humorous moments still crop up. Generally quite safe, though the end of the first plot arc may feature something of a tear jerker if you're inclined that way.

Broken Plot Device: Humorous slice-of-life comic (at least I think that's the term) about the misadventures of a bunch of furry characters living together in the same building. There's no one clear viewpoint character (not even the author avatar, an occasionally naive but endearing lizard girl), but they're all rather engaging -- even the jerk of the group may yet be redeemable -- and I think the comic is better than I can do justice in this description right now. I wouldn't make sure to catch each new strip as it comes out otherwise. ;) (It, KoC above, and DMFA are about the only three I can say that about; I like other titles as well, but it's more on an occasional "let's see what's happened in the last few weeks" basis.)

Well, I was going to list FreeFall as my third as well, but since that's been already covered, let me pick something else at semi-random...

Dungeons & Denizens: A young minotaur applies for a dungeon tech support job and meets the other denizens. Hilarity ensues on a fairly regular basis. ;)

Edit: Also, for an index site with links to more web comics than you can shake a stick at (though you'll be somewhat on your own with regard to quality when you decide to follow those), there's the New Belfry Web Comics Index. Don't let the relatively short list of names that you'll probably see on your first visit fool you; those are just the most recent additions...

Kenku

Heres a couple other good ones:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/ "Dominic Deegan: Oracle for High" -- A tale of Dominic, a mage of the "future/second sight" skill and the journeys he and his friends go through in life and keeping the world safe.

The OOTS readers probably have seen the first book of this, so I figured Id mention www.erfworld.com -- the story of a world that seems to be based on an RTS game, and Parson, who is from the real one.

Also I would advise fans of freefall to check out White Pony's "Cross Time Cafe" http://www.whiteponyproductions.com/comicstrips/ctc/present.htm the crossover comic has some excellent laughs, plus links to a nice set of comics the series takes characters from (included in that is "21st Century Fox" which I will say is probably one of the most realistic feeling furry comics I have ran into)

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Turnsky on March 01, 2010, 01:41:30 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 01, 2010, 12:49:14 AMTales of the Traveling Gnome
both the artist and writer of this particular comic are good friends of mine, me and Matt have bounced ideas off of eachother now and again, and i'm glad to say he's also kicked his world of warcraft habit.  :U

Ah, nice. Are you involved in Crux and Tales of Pylea as well then ?
Both nice comics, though they haven't been updated for a quarter of a year, so I guess they are dead. :(

Angel

El Goonish Shive. A sweet, often pervy, sometimes dramatic and always well-drawn comic about alien hybrids, anime-style martial arts, and a group of quirky friends.

And Shine Heaven Now. A Hellsing doujinshi by the talented Erin Ptah, a loyal Sir Integra fangirl. If you like the anime, comedy, drama and all, give this a shot. And check out the Fangirl Attacks!

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Netpoet

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 01, 2010, 02:19:06 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 01, 2010, 12:49:14 AMTales of the Traveling Gnome
both the artist and writer of this particular comic are good friends of mine, me and Matt have bounced ideas off of eachother now and again, and i'm glad to say he's also kicked his world of warcraft habit.  :U

Both nice comics, though they haven't been updated for a quarter of a year, so I guess they are dead. :(

Heh, if I could answer this question?  :)  *waves at Turnsky*  Tales of Pylea and Crux both are *NOT* dead.  If you check out TTG's main page, read down the news section.  There's a link there where Michelle colored Pylea's upcoming restart page.

Humbug, Pylea's artist, needed some time off to finish a work project, and we both felt that Pylea really needed a revamping.  So in a week or three, Pylea will be resuming.

And thank you for the kind words, I always enjoy seeing people that read/enjoy TTG across the web. :) 

And no, I don't just stalk random forums, looking for people that mention us... we've gotten about two dozen hits from this thread just today, and it piqued my interest. :) 

>Net

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Netpoet on March 01, 2010, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 01, 2010, 02:19:06 PM
both the artist and writer of this particular comic are good friends of mine, me and Matt have bounced ideas off of eachother now and again, and i'm glad to say he's also kicked his world of warcraft habit.  :U

Heh, if I could answer this question?  :)  *waves at Turnsky*  Tales of Pylea and Crux both are *NOT* dead.  If you check out TTG's main page, read down the news section.  There's a link there where Michelle colored Pylea's upcoming restart page.

Humbug, Pylea's artist, needed some time off to finish a work project, and we both felt that Pylea really needed a revamping.  So in a week or three, Pylea will be resuming.

And thank you for the kind words, I always enjoy seeing people that read/enjoy TTG across the web. :) 

And no, I don't just stalk random forums, looking for people that mention us... we've gotten about two dozen hits from this thread just today, and it piqued my interest. :) 

>Net

Well that sounds promising.

And I'm happy to hear you got some more visitors out of this.
It is after all what webcomics are there for - To be read.

I hope to see some updates soon then. :)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Misfile: A weekday comic about what happens when an angel in heaven screws up the filing system and the consequences it causes for two unfortunate individuals..... :sweatdrop

EmergencyExit: A comic about a group of kids that live in an apartment complex...................which apparently is more than it seems, has access to different worlds via portals, there's a witch, a robot couch and oh, did I mention there's a cat girl, too!  :3

Sorcery101: A M/W/F comic about Danny, a perverted 30 something year old man,  that teaches by day and learns sorcery in his free time; who's friends with a werewolf and has (a hot! >:3) vampire who's blood bonded to him.

psilorder

www.questionablecontent.net - a comic about Marten Reed and his friends. They're a group of indie music lovers with various problems. comedy relationship comic.

www.leasticoulddo.com - a comic about a slightly narcissistic guy who spends his days being a vice-president of a software company, coming up with crazy schemes and looking for hookups (quite succesfully, but nothing graphic)

www.schlockmercenary.com - a family friendly comedy comic about a band of mercenaries in the third millenium.

Bjalf

You lot have done the usual suspects already. But wait, there's more!

Code Name: Hunter What would happen if one day all the myths and stories returned? That was London sixty years ago when, during one of the darkest nights of World War II, a certain stained glass seal broke and the old magic, locked away since the Norman invasion, returned.

Generation 17 Adult language, blood and (quite tasteful) nudity.

Gunnerkrigg Court A must-read.

Sabrina Online "Sabrina Online" is a comic strip created, written, and drawn by Eric W. Schwartz. New strips will appear at the rate of between two and five every month.

Skin Horse This one is hard to describe. Mad science, crossdressing, a friendly zombie and general insanity.

Tales of the Questor A raccoonan anti-hero. Well drawn, and awesome humour. One of my favourites.

Weregeek Every full moon, (closeted) geeks become ... were-geeks.

Edit:
Inverloch The story of Inverloch centers around a young man named Acheron, from a horned wolf-like race called the da'kor. After a chance encounter with an elf, he finds himself setting out on a seemingly innocent mission - that of trying to locate Kayn'dar, another elf who has been missing for the past twelve years.
Meeting up with new friends and companions along the way, he quickly begins to learn that the world is not quite the peaceful place he believed it to be - embroiled with prejudice, racial segregation, and hidden danger. And the truth behind Kayn'dar's disappearance is something none of the party would ever expect...

The Phoenix Requiem The Phoenix Requiem is a Victorian-inspired supernatural fantasy story about faith, love, death, and the things we believe in.
On a cold December night, a gentleman stumbles into the town of Esk, gunshot wounds leaving a trail of blood in the snow behind him. Despite making a full recovery at the hands of an inexperienced nurse - and deciding to make a new life for himself in the town - he is unable to escape the supernatural beings, both good and bad, that seem to follow him like shadows.

Both comics drawn by the very talented Sarah Ellerton.

Tapewolf

No-one seems to have mentioned Housepets yet.  This is set in an Earth where pets and other animals are sentient, but still remain in roughly the same social position as they do in reality.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sind

Since several have already broken the "3 comics each" rule, I'll join in and add some more to the list >:]

Quote from: Bjalf on March 02, 2010, 08:22:23 AM
Tales of the Questor A raccoonan anti-hero. Well drawn, and awesome humour. One of my favourites.
Don't forget about everything else RHJunior draws
You are bound to end up regularly checking in on at least 3 of the comics  :)

I also suggest checking out Petite Symphony, a nice compilation of several comics written and drawn by various artists. :>

I'll add more to the list later, though most of the comics I read are already mentioned :/

Bjalf

Quote from: Sind on March 02, 2010, 09:24:37 AM
Since several have already broken the "3 comics each" rule, I'll join in and add some more to the list >:]

3 comics each? Whoops, I missed that. Sorry.   :blush

But seriously folks, how could I select only 3 comics? A quick count gives 35+ comics that I read regularly, most of these updates every week. Gaah! I forgot Google Reader! Yeah, there's another 10 or so ...   :U

And then there are the finished ones, like Better Days, A Doemain of our Own, A Miracle of Science, ...  :mowdizzy

SquirrelWizard

Schlock Mercenary this will not only last you through your illness, but through the week after the illness as well. Its a space opera involving the (mis)adventures of a mercenary company known as Tagonns Toughs.

Also, I'd suggest trying out dwarf fortress, it takes a bit to learn the game (but hey, you are bed ridden what else are you going to do.) but after learning the controls, you can learn to make intricate traps/doomsday devices with alot of "fun". That and about every dwarf in your fortress will probably be as miserable as you are.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

llearch n'n'daCorna

erm.

I need to select 3?

I'm disappointed in you, Bjalf. I read somewhere in the region of 300 or so. :-/ In fact, it's almost easier to list the ones from this page that I don't read.

I'm at 34 out of 44 listed. Not counting all the other RHJunior strips...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anker Steadfast

Well, the idea behind picking just three, was so we'd get the crop of the cream by making people choose which was the best.

I will asmit that I did suspect that it would not last.

:D

Bjalf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM
I'm disappointed in you, Bjalf. I read somewhere in the region of 300 or so. :-/

Well, I've been busy getting all the Plants vs. Zombies achievements. Now I've got the full set!

I have to warn you, though. Do not play that game! It's evil! It sucks you in and devours all your free time, and then some.

And if Amber should start playing that game, the next update will be around Halloween. 2012.

Sind

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM
I'm disappointed in you, Bjalf. I read somewhere in the region of 300 or so. :-/ In fact, it's almost easier to list the ones from this page that I don't read.

And here I only read 115(+23) :(

And to expand the list:

The Glass Urchin
Another not so known webcomic that really deserves more attention :/
It's a funny webcomic about life and all that jazz. You'll find yourself relating to the context from time to time, and it easily makes you smile  :3

Liatai

One of my favorite feel-good comics is Unshelved, a newspaper-style comic drawn by librarians, for anyone who likes a good book. It follows the staff of the Mallville Public Library as they work with unusual patrons, try to get kids interested in reading, and deal with some of the downright wacky things that happen in Mallville. You will never look at your local library the same way again!

They also do an "Unshelved Book Club" strip every Friday, where they present great books that you may or may not have heard of before. They're great if you're looking for something new to read, but have no idea where to start.

--

Another favorite of mine is The Meek, a fantasy story that takes place in a very expansive world. The story begins with Angora, a young girl raised in a commune in a jungle, setting out on a journey after an attack on her "grandfather," Mocheril (who looks very much like a giant olm). He departs with these words; "Find the center. I will meet you there. The lost one will know the way... The center... A woman who cries but sheds no tears. Beware my brother, and a man who hates in the name of love. You must be careful. They do not yet know of you. But if they find you, they will surely kill you. Remember what I taught you, Angora, and remember that I love you."

The story is currently in its second chapter, following the second of its three main characters, Emperor Luca deSadar. WARNING: There's a lot of (tasteful) nakedness in this comic! Angora spends most of the first chapter naked (only gaining pants and a scarf at the end), and the current page has naked woman butt and hairy old-man chest on it. Just so no one gets a shock when they click the link. :animesweat

--

Let's see, I need a third one... let me look through my webcomic folder on my bookmarks... It's a toss-up between Skin Deep and Digger. Skin Deep is a recent find of mine, dealing with mythical creatures living in human guise with the help of medallions, while Digger... well, Digger. The protagonist is a displaced wombat, who takes advice from a talking statue of Ganesh, and has traveled with a "shadowchild" born from a dead bird, hyena-people who believe that a person's essence lies in the liver, warrior shrews, prophet slugs, a slightly cracked priestess with a great destiny hanging over her head... all to kill a dead god in a cave. Just read it, I swear it will make sense.

--

Oh, heck with it. Have some more rapid-fire suggestions.

The Pig's Ear (a fairly new fantasy comic surrounding the titular pub)
Panthera (a team of shape-shifting teens who become elemental big cats take on the evils of the pharmaceutical company that created the drug that made them what they are)
Strays (a VERY well-drawn comic following energetic orphan lupian Meela and mute lupian bounty hunter Feral in their journeys... well, Feral's wandering from job to job as he tries to shake Meela. xD )
Two Lumps (two cats; Ebenezer, the smart cat, and Snooch, his pudgier counterpart with a love of "gooshyfood")
Catena (which just came off hiatus a few weeks ago! A whole bunch of anthropomorphic cats sharing a manor with occasional visits from local angels, Death, the dog next door, and a tarantula with dreams of world domination. Fun times.)
The Adventures of Dr. McNinja (... actually, you might not want to read this one while you're sick. It's so absurd in places that it might make you feel even loopier. Great art, though, and very funny.)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Liatai on March 02, 2010, 07:10:12 PM
Catena (which just came off hiatus a few weeks ago! A whole bunch of anthropomorphic cats sharing a manor with occasional visits from local angels, Death, the dog next door, and a tarantula with dreams of world domination. Fun times.)

OMG!! I love Catena, too!  :mowhappy

Amberbydreams

Quote from: Liatai on March 02, 2010, 07:10:12 PM

Two Lumps (two cats; Ebenezer, the smart cat, and Snooch, his pudgier counterpart with a love of "gooshyfood")
Seconded as reccomends. Been reading those two for years.
Darn it people, stop getting me hooked on more webcomics! I already read, like, fifteen, and they take up enough of my time!
I was about to recommend DMFA, but then I remembered that this WAS the DMFA forum. Oooooops...

Um........
Lets see...
Oh!

http://www.aiacrowd.com/index.html - Alone in a Crowd - still fairly new webcomic, I've followed it since it began. Average art, improved a lot since the very beginning regardless. Basically, it is about two ten year olds, Hope and Faith. Faith has cat ears as a birth defect, and lives with her older sister since her parents died. Hope is her first friend. Easily the cutest webcomic I've read. PG-13 at the max for rating.

Scow2

If you don't mind the Archive Binge: Irregular Webcomic.... over a dozen webcomics for the price of one! Updates Daily.

Any LotR/D&D fans will like Shamus Young's now-concluded DM of the Rings

For Star Wars Fans, from a team including the creator of Irregular Webcomic, and inspired by DM of the Rings: Darths And Droids, the Star Wars Prequel trilogy as told as a Tabletop RPG... Updates Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, currently almost done with Attack of the Clones. The one time you can say "Jar Jar, you're a Genius!" without a hint of sarcasm.

AmigaDragon

Do we have to stick to comics to stay busy? A run over to Metamor Keep's archive should keep you busy for at least several months.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 03, 2010, 03:16:03 PM
Do we have to stick to comics to stay busy? A run over to Metamor Keep's archive should keep you busy for at least several months.
If you are into text stories, I suggest checking out G. Howell's work. He has a fairly large amount of work in several novels; and he seems to update with a new chapter or two every 6 months.
Overall PG-PG13.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.