[Art, Acting] StarRunner's Art Bin (Redesigning StarRunner)

Started by James StarRunner, July 24, 2006, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Eeek! It's the Janus! Run away! Run away!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

James StarRunner

Whoa... until recently I didn't know some of you even looked in this thread.

Quote from: Zedd on October 09, 2006, 12:38:51 AM
Its like Mr Bean goes to school all over again
Oh man! Great show! I'd be too scared to even approach the model though...

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2006, 04:20:36 AMI take it that doesn't doesn't extend to male 'taurs along the lines of Kitome?  I'd say that's akin to drawing the jaguars, which are after all, technically naked.
Ya, something like that I'm ok with.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who commented! (Somehow I knew I'd get quite a few after this piece...)

Shadrok

Quote from: Kitome Feathertail on October 09, 2006, 12:24:42 AM
It's a good thing you are not in my advanced drawing class, Nude models every monday, yeay for college drawing class, not really I hate it, which is why when class is over I turn them into fantasy creatures, made one an angel and the other a sea elf, got yelled at when I did that in class XD

XD sounds like something someone did when I had advanced drawing
They turned the model into Goku xD

teacher said
Quote"We draw what we see not what we think we see. This class is not to teach you how to draw but how to see what to draw."

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2006, 04:57:52 AM
Quote from: James StarRunner on October 09, 2006, 12:34:51 AM
Quote from: Supercheese on October 09, 2006, 12:26:58 AM
Bah. It's art - they should let you do what you think is the best. Anything else would be stifling the 'creative spirit' or soemthing like that.
Ya, exactly.

Actually, I suspect they're trying to teach you a specific skillset - so they're assigning a task (draw this nude) and judging how well you can do the various elbows and suchlike, and what focus you put on it, etc.

I highly doubt they're -thinking- in such a structured manner, since that's very much a left-brain type thought, and artists are strongly right-brain, but that's the idea. Which explains why they get so shirty when you break the rules - they can't judge the focus and the elbows, sinceyou've changed the entire focus of the pic by adding other bits, like wings or scales etc...

I like to think I'm talking sense, here. So can anyone tell me if I'm speaking through my hat? :-)

What you said makes sense to me.

When I was taking advance drawing classes I didn't care for it much, even if it did improve my skills, I just felt like the teacher was trying to force their style on me.

One thing one of my teachers said to me that made sense.
Quote"These are not rules but are just guidelines. Once you know the guidelines you will know when and where you can brake from them."

Saist

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 09, 2006, 09:09:42 PM
Whoa... until recently I didn't know some of you even looked in this thread.

sometimes we just can't come up with anything witty or creative to say.

Althought I really wish I had been first to respond to the topless pic with "That's gotta be the ugliest girl I've ever seen..."  :mowtongue

* je.saist scampers away giggling

e_voyager

i know how you feel. here i work and work on my writing and i get a few views but no reviews. but the want i'm making a revision to one of the previous chapter maybe chapters in around 14 hours
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

James StarRunner

Another update for the impromanga I'm going to be a part of...

Although it's under construction, the comic will later be found at:
http://www.sass-studio.com/impromanga/

and here's a pic of my two characters that are going to be appearing in there:

Jaesguamarj and Joyalranu (Joy)

And now I better get my rear in gear and do more HTML before Sass Studios skins my hide!

Zedd

e_voyager

nods. nice also if you want help with the coding i'm happy to lend my abilities as a programmer
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on October 18, 2006, 12:16:43 AM
nods. nice also if you want help with the coding i'm happy to lend my abilities as a programmer

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but I suspect this is part of James' group project for University.
Nice work, although perhaps he should have more clothes on..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

I had to have something where it showed his scars and other markings for the other artists, which is why I also had the picture of him with his tunic and arm band on.

edit: Oh and yes, the site is for my college project, so I'm limited to just my team.

James StarRunner

Supercheese

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 25, 2006, 11:52:52 PM
Holy crap! I'm freakin' 16-bit!

Wah! You look... a bit weird. I like my version of a James sprite better, even though it still needs some more work and is more 8-bit than 16-bit.  Where'd I put it...

James StarRunner

That's a good question... I thought I had it in my photobucket. And dang! Editing sprites is hard!

edit> Here we go! Here's the one you made for me! It was on my harddrive but failed to put it on my photobucket.

Supercheese

Zedd

RJ

James StarRunner

Weeeeeeee! My first gift art from RJ! Ok, so it's just recolored, but still... *tackleglomphug*

RJ

:animesweat Haha, sorry, I couldn't help myself really. I recoloured it and reduced the width of the arms and waist.

James StarRunner

Well if you couldn't help yourself, make sure it happens more often!

DigitalMan

That is badass... I can't even recolor sprites right :.

James StarRunner

Aparently I couldn't either... Then again I didn't use a reference to get my colours either... But still spites are hard. I can't imagine doing a whole sprite sheet with different moves and such. That's just too evil!

Supercheese

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 26, 2006, 12:50:28 AM
Aparently I couldn't either... Then again I didn't use a reference to get my colours either... But still spites are hard. I can't imagine doing a whole sprite sheet with different moves and such. That's just too evil!

Don't tempt me... I'm not that good with sprites, but good enough to make a James animation...

Let's see how a redo of my version looks...

Err... well... it's still not the best...  :shifty  But more talky and walky-looking now.

Hmm, maybe I'll add some other color effects later. I actually don't know what they're called... border transitional effects? The tail has 'em, when the blue gets darker as it approaches the borders, but not much else has it...

James StarRunner

Well, it's certainly MUCH better than what I can do from scratch!

Tapewolf

Oh nice.. this reminds me of the sprites I used to draw as a kid.  We had to make them on paper and convert them into binary by hand..
[sniffs and gets all nostalgic]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

On paper? You know... that might actually help!

Nikki

that's so awesome!!

now if only there would be some way to make a Xze sprite...mwahahahahahaaaa...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Gareeku

Nikki

[ot] Gar...it is wierd but...my avatar had Chun-li doing an energy attack and yours was Ryu using his attack oO [/ot]

James StarRunner

Quote from: Xze-Xze on October 26, 2006, 03:37:05 PM
that's so awesome!!

now if only there would be some way to make a Xze sprite...mwahahahahahaaaa...
Don't look at me! These spites are evil! You need a real sprite artist.

Quote from: Gareeku on October 26, 2006, 03:38:26 PM
Hehe, awesome spritework! :)
Thanks Gar!

And thanks to RJ and Supercheese for making/editing the other ones!