06/06/09 [DMFA #1011] - Possibly a little optimistic

Started by Tapewolf, June 06, 2009, 04:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I think this is the first time we've seen DP actually happy.
Though to be honest, I wonder if being killed so many times has left him with a few screws loose.  He doesn't seem to understand quite why Dan hates him and Regina...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LoneHowler

I think Regina is now kicking her but for betraying Dan, she could have been the favored one in DP's eyes had she made the alliance
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Garsemor

He's crazy if he thinks his (arch)nemesis will help him make an alliance whit Cyra. The relationship is a fake so no real backbone to his plan.

*laughs at DP*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Garsemor on June 06, 2009, 04:22:59 AM
He's crazy if he thinks his (arch)nemesis will help him make an alliance whit Cyra. The relationship is a fake so no real backbone to his plan.

However, it might stop him from attacking Dan.  And it is likely to make him keep Regina in check.

EDIT:
Interesting the way he talks about Cyra.  He was contemptuous before, now he seems to think an alliance would be a Good Thing...

Madmann135

In the grand scheme of things, evil masterminds tend to lapse in the more fine details of plans.
Like your nemesis hates you for harming/killing someone close. 

Though it makes me wonder... what was Regina trying to say?
and... DP looks so cute when he is happy.  Looks like one of those kiddy plushy toys.
I think Metroids are cute so I have weird taste.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

alexwars1

I concur with the cutitude! (DPwise AND Metroid wise. The cutest foes since mows! :mowmeep)

Tapewolf

I wonder if Dan knows that he's Lorenda's boyfriend?  That's not currently clear.  Akso, where actually is Lorenda?  Isn't Kria going to think it's a bit strange if she's not with him during his convalescence?

Psaakyrn

Ironically, I had originally thought Destania was trying to subtilely arrange a "union" with soulstealer family/clan, with Regina being the original partner. Though I'd think Aliph wasn't really contemptious from the one-shot panel, more likely suprized, since Destania didn't seem like the type to properly settle down.

And Dan has flirted with Lorenda more than Matilda anyway (even if Matilda got more relationship panels). (On that note, has Dan bothered to call Matilda yet?)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2009, 05:34:10 AM
Though I'd think Aliph wasn't really contemptious from the one-shot panel, more likely suprized, since Destania didn't seem like the type to properly settle down.

Specifically I was thinking of his use of the phrase "even if he is Cyra's ilk" (986) which is not generally considered complementary.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 05:50:22 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2009, 05:34:10 AM
Though I'd think Aliph wasn't really contemptious from the one-shot panel, more likely suprized, since Destania didn't seem like the type to properly settle down.

Specifically I was thinking of his use of the phrase "even if he is Cyra's ilk" (986) which is not generally considered complementary.

It sounds less complimentary of Dan, but more complementary of Cyra actually. Reading into it, Aliph probably regards the Cyra clan higher than Kria, but lower than Lorenda.

Considering further, it's likely because that Cyra clan is less of status and more of power in general: can't have much status if one of your core innates is to stay hidden.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Brownie

Well...I am seeing younger, less angry characters now...
I'm oficially insane.
But yes, he's a little optimistic there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2009, 06:00:27 AM
It sounds less complimentary of Dan, but more complementary of Cyra actually. Reading into it, Aliph probably regards the Cyra clan higher than Kria, but lower than Lorenda.

I've only ever seen 'ilk' used in a derogatory context, but since it's not a particularly widely-used term, that may be an error on my part (insufficient data -> bad conclusion).
If he was being spiteful, my interpretation was that he thought Cyra was more highly-regarded that she/her clan deserved to be.  

Since he now seems to be interested in an alliance, to me that either means that he was somehow jealous, or that I was reading something into the text that wasn't actually there  >:3

Corgatha Taldorthar

DP's face in the second panel. I think he's excited there, boy does it make his face look creepy.

*wanders off into a corner and shivers.*

However, Regina is still saying, (and looking) stupid, giving me some anchor to hold onto.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Noone

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2009, 04:51:08 AM
I wonder if Dan knows that he's Lorenda's boyfriend?  That's not currently clear.  Akso, where actually is Lorenda?  Isn't Kria going to think it's a bit strange if she's not with him during his convalescence?
Actually, I was under the impression that Lorenda said that solely to try and prevent DP and Dan from killing each other. I don't think there's a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship between the two, though it would be funny to see Kria pressuring Lorenda to be more.... active... with Dan, and to see her reaction when she finds out the whole thing was a trick.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on June 06, 2009, 07:30:52 AM
Actually, I was under the impression that Lorenda said that solely to try and prevent DP and Dan from killing each other.
Yes, it's just that Kria seems to believe it and I'm not quite sure what she'd do if she finds that her daughter tricked her.
In short, I was enumerating a few weaknesses in the scam as it stands.

Naldru

Kria appears to live by rules.  Even though she isn't sure about reviving Aliph, she promised to do it and will therefore do it.  That doesn't mean that he gets any help after he's revived.  She can't interrupt the fight between Aliph and Dan because of family ties, but the statement that Dan is Lorenda's boyfriend allows her to step in, whether she believes it or not.  Besides, when you live for hundreds of years, there's plenty of time for a relationship to develop.  She does see that Lorenda cares about Dan, and that's a good start.  Besides boy friend/girl friend relationships don't have to be permanent.  It's not like Lorenda said that they were engaged.

Although the relationship between Lorenda and Dan in the Janus Bond spoof was non-canon, my belief is that non-canon events gain significance when reinforced by events in canon.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Lorenda could always argue that she meant "friend who is a boy", of course. Which is the sort of weasel-wording that might well appeal to Kria...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

DP is nuts if he thinks that Dan's just gonna set his vendetta aside. All's fair in love and war and all that. Somehow, I doubt that this is the result that Destania wanted: from what little we've seen of him, DP doesn't seem to have anything against dragons since he was willing to hire one as a lackey. Destania probably wanted him totally out of the way.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

OminousShadow

DP plans while Regina causes anti-climaticness. Knew something like that would happen.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

TheDeere

Wonderful image of Aliph there. He might be bad, but he's buff. :) Amber's amazing with the use of colors and shadows etc!

Jack McSlay

*Insert "surrender to the dark side" star wars reference here*
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jairus

I just had a completely random and silly thought: what if Aniz is connected to DP in some way, and Destania was just using Dan to try and get at Aniz while she was in hiding? Two birds with one stone and all that, after all: Dan kills DP, and maybe finds Aniz and kills him too? Yeah, I know, stupid thought and probably wrong, but considering she sent Dan out to kill DP for possibly her own motives rather than her son's (though I don't think she foresaw DP being resurrected and Dan nearly getting killed), maybe she would be capable of using her own son like that. In the past, she's certainly willing enough to use the more or less innocent son of her ex-boyfriend to try and kill that same boyfriend, and from Abel's perspective she'd be evil enough to do it. Again, just a random thought. And no one call it a theory, because it's not one.

Also, happy DP is kinda freaky.

OminousShadow

DP is flipping off anyone who looks at today's strip. His middle finger is totally up.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Jairus

Quote from: OminousShadow on June 06, 2009, 10:48:56 AM
DP is flipping off anyone who looks at today's strip. His middle finger is totally up.
*snrk*
"Yeah, you like looking at my shirtless body, don't you? Well, %^$# you!"

That's one way of looking at it...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on June 06, 2009, 10:24:34 AM
what if Aniz is connected to DP in some way, and Destania was just using Dan to try and get at Aniz while she was in hiding? Two birds with one stone and all that, after all: Dan kills DP, and maybe finds Aniz and kills him too?

Two counterarguments:

1. Unless Destania has changed her mind*, she wants Aniz soul-dead and no less.  Dan doesn't know how to do that even if he wanted to, which he doesn't (651).  That action would be the last step to him becoming everything he set out to fight (392).

2. Destania, while not preventing him from becoming a monster-hunter, specifically instructed him never to fight other 'Cubi.

(*) Which is possible.  She may even set aside the vendetta along with the rest of her past life at SAIA (299)

GabrielsThoughts

:rolleyes yes....an alliance with the cyra clan. I hadn't realised dan had such close ties with the clan. :erk
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Netrogo

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 06, 2009, 11:28:57 AM
:rolleyes yes....an alliance with the cyra clan. I hadn't realised dan had such close ties with the clan. :erk

Close ties? His grandmother IS Cyra.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on June 06, 2009, 10:24:34 AM
I just had a completely random and silly thought: what if Aniz is connected to DP in some way, and Destania was just using Dan to try and get at Aniz while she was in hiding? Two birds with one stone and all that, after all: Dan kills DP, and maybe finds Aniz and kills him too? Yeah, I know, stupid thought and probably wrong, but considering she sent Dan out to kill DP for possibly her own motives rather than her son's (though I don't think she foresaw DP being resurrected and Dan nearly getting killed), maybe she would be capable of using her own son like that. In the past, she's certainly willing enough to use the more or less innocent son of her ex-boyfriend to try and kill that same boyfriend, and from Abel's perspective she'd be evil enough to do it. Again, just a random thought. And no one call it a theory, because it's not one.

She's told Dan not to fight Cubi. This would totally go against that instruction.

Quote from: OminousShadow on June 06, 2009, 10:48:56 AM

That's a forefinger.

Oh, and
:smrt
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lowde

Quote from: Jairus on June 06, 2009, 10:08:08 AM
DP is nuts if he thinks that Dan's just gonna set his vendetta aside. All's fair in love and war and all that. Somehow, I doubt that this is the result that Destania wanted: from what little we've seen of him, DP doesn't seem to have anything against dragons since he was willing to hire one as a lackey. Destania probably wanted him totally out of the way.

Or maybe Dee just wanted Dan to use his cubi abilities in a fight, without really minding against who... So she thought of someone who would be challenging enough, but at the same time, defeatable.

Edit: After rereading the post just above this one, I realize the amount of fail I just achieved

Fex

He also forget to calculate Dan's stubbornness if she does pressure him. Oh and not to forget his forgetfullness on certain subjects.