05/03/09 [DMFA #997] - She makes a good point

Started by Jairus, May 03, 2009, 02:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Leave it to Wildy to cut to the core of the problem. Seriously, all he has to do is ask. Though that comment of Jyrras' is just on the verge of lampshade hanging, especially considering the events during that one wallpaper war...

On a side note, it's nice seeing Jyrras so happy. And at least he's trying to keep it realistic and is aware of some of the potential pitfalls in regards to the Abel thing.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tezkat

And so Jyrras set off to invent gaydar. Patent pending... >:]
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Jairus

Quote from: Tezkat on May 03, 2009, 02:35:25 AM
And so Jyrras set off to invent gaydar. Patent pending... >:]
Unfortunately, a gaggle of Broadway aficionados were in town and screwed up the device's calibration...

Seriously, the guy's invented magitech shape-changing skin patches, at least two giant mecha gryphons, LIFE... and he hasn't invented a gaydar yet? Then again, how would it work? Some technological mind-reading chip that picks up a person's preferences? Would it work if the subject didn't know they were gay? Would it have an indicator if the subject was bisexual? And would the operator's own preference color the results? I'm confused...

Naldru

I'm just wondering if there have been 27 e-mails asking about Abel's sexuality, or 27 e-mails asking why Jyrras doesn't simply ask.  Of course, the next question would be why Wildy or Dan don't simply ask.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Howl

For some reason, I get the feeling Wildy is going to end up asking in Jyrras' stead.

Jairus

Quote from: Minishear on May 03, 2009, 03:30:42 AM
For some reason, I get the feeling Wildy is going to end up asking in Jyrras' stead.
Ditto. It feels like something Wildy would do. And Jyrras is probably going to faint from blushing so hard. But Jyrras might ask her not to ask him, and she'll respect his wishes while telling him to get over it and just ask Abel or he'll never find out.

Garsemor

I just know something is going to happen. Jy has never had much luck, and it's rarely a good idea to let others meddle in a persons social affairs. Also I think one gay is enough per comic. In fact this is starting to resemble that canon arc pages 172 until 193.

Jairus

Quote from: Garsemor on May 03, 2009, 03:46:40 AM
I just know something is going to happen. Jy has never had much luck, and it's rarely a good idea to let others meddle in a persons social affairs. Also I think one gay is enough per comic. In fact this is starting to resemble that canon arc pages 172 until 193.
Ah, but Abel may be bisexual, in which case there still is only one gay character in the cast!

Or Abel could be straight. But seriously, what are the odds of that? Or he could simply not wish to pursue a relationship at this time, but is open to the prospect of pursuing one later...

Howl

Brownie

Jyrras is right. That and many more things must have a long string of elaborate and truthfully unnecessary events in order to get the best outcome.

Hellcat

werent these two meant to be checking up on someone who lost a large amount of blood rather than talking about ones sexual orientation?

Terrion

Quote from: Hellcat on May 03, 2009, 05:41:17 AM
werent these two meant to be checking up on someone who lost a large amount of blood rather than talking about ones sexual orientation?

That would require that one of them exhibit common sense to go along with his genius, and the other not to be a virtual sociopath...  :P

Seriously though, so far this has been a brief discusion at most, probably initiated by Wildy in order to clear the air between the two before they start arguing over top of Dan when they finally get around to seeing him.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"I am the only gay in the village!" ?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Titanium Dragon

QuoteAnd so Jyrras set off to invent gaydar. Patent pending...

I think you mean a homometer.

QuoteI'm just wondering if there have been 27 e-mails asking about Abel's sexuality, or 27 e-mails asking why Jyrras doesn't simply ask.  Of course, the next question would be why Wildy or Dan don't simply ask.

Its not like Abel doesn't know Jyrras has a crush on him, and he hasn't confronted Jyrras about it, which might mean any number of things.

Thing is, Dan wouldn't do that for the same reason he advised Jyrras to be honest with him. As for Wildy, that's harder to tell. The problem is that Abel is a mind reader and also that it is cowardly. If you want to know, why not ask yourself? It shows you're too scared to man up and confront them yourself, and avoiding confrontation is something Jyrras in general seems overly eager to do.

And honestly, the general vibe I get from Abel is that he really tries to drive people away from him. Remember how he had to remind himself that he couldn't emotion jammer beings, so would have to act in a specific way in order to get the response he desired? He wasn't happy to have Jyrras cling to him and call him his friend. On the other hand, he also is too lonely to truly put his heart into it. I don't know that he'd react well to the question, especially if asked in a cowardly way.

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 03, 2009, 06:29:30 AM

"I am the only gay in the village!" ?

except Jy has a better figure..  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Terrion on May 03, 2009, 06:04:04 AM
That would require that one of them exhibit common sense to go along with his genius, and the other not to be a virtual sociopath...  :P

Seriously though, so far this has been a brief discusion at most, probably initiated by Wildy in order to clear the air between the two before they start arguing over top of Dan when they finally get around to seeing him.
Plus Alexsi didn't come down yet so they have to wait. She will, of course, come down the moment they are done talking, as demanded by the artist union.

Garsemor

Well I don't think we will find out what will happen between Abel and Jy for at least 2-3 strips. Let's not forget that Abel has a rather over sized warp-aci on his hands and is most likely rather distracted. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come in to the room and say something in the along the lines of "I think we might have small problem on our hands".

Tapewolf

Indeed.  Though since Dan is unlikely to have got control of his empathic powers yet, even the two of them just silently glowering at each other would be kind of bad.  What they've done is the best approach.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheDXM

This page begs the question for me: The particular commonality of alternative sexual identities in the history of cultures throughout Furcadia. I'm not sure if anyone's brought that up in the past though.

One quirk about fictional histories is that things like this could logically change or be quite different since they would be distinctly unearth-like. Meaning, something taboo in an Earthly culture could be entirely normalized in a fictional backdrop, and vice versa.

Unfortunately this means it's difficult to fathom a real guess at Abel's sexuality because: A. Culturally we can't be 100% sure how that works, and therefore can't be too sure what kind of environment he grew up in, and B. By strictly examining his personality, we tend to get vague answers in general, because that's just Abel for you. Just about all of it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

In short: Somebody ask him already! :eager

Hellcat

Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 03, 2009, 06:40:41 AM

Plus Alexsi didn't come down yet so they have to wait. She will, of course, come down the moment they are done talking, as demanded by the artist union.

I just had a thought... perhaps something unexpected is going to happen when they see Dan and it will be so outrageous it will be comic 1000... so this is just stalling

Howl

Quote from: Hellcat on May 03, 2009, 07:57:32 AM
Quote from: Michael Chandra on May 03, 2009, 06:40:41 AM

I just had a thought... perhaps something unexpected is going to happen when they see Dan and it will be so outrageous it will be comic 1000... so this is just stalling

I'd like for it to keep stalling then.

bradypodidae

Perhaps Alexi didn't like the tension between her two friends and set it up for Jyrras and Wildy to end up together so that they would get over the drama, and is strategically waiting before coming down.

Think of the story arcs available if Jyrras goes through the orchestrations.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Howl

Pagan

Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2009, 03:54:40 AM
Or Abel could be straight. But seriously, what are the odds of that? Or he could simply not wish to pursue a relationship at this time, but is open to the prospect of pursuing one later...
Or... He could be asexual. Has anyone considered that? That perhaps his intentional loneness stretches to not wanting a personal or sexual relationship with anyone else?
Jy looks so happy in that first panel. But wait... As we've learned from Abel's Story, anyone who comes into contact with the Spotted One that is happy is sure to fall into misery. Poor Jyrras.

"Sha Biggity Bam," dag, it has been far too long since I've used that.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Garsemor

Why does every one view Abel as the messager of doom :reaper. The freak incidents were not his fault he just had rotten luck and just happened to be at all the wrong places at the wrong time. Personally I don't see why so many people talk about him as if he was some sort of omen.

Lisky

I haven't seen Abel as a sign of bad things to come... merely a magnet for bad luck... as for the spotted kitty's sexuality, i wouldn't even begin to guess... but i'm leaning towards Bi, or asexual at the moment.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Garsemor

You all realize that Jy is only so happy and confident because of that curs. Or at least as I see it. He has been acting a bit strange ever since he got it (page 860). And let's not forget the little secret arrangement (page 836). We still don't know what Mab's plan is but I'm pretty sure that's part of it too (page 847). Jy has never acted like this and I don't think one trip is enough to get someones confidence up.

The_one_who_is_odd

I was wondering since Cubi are shape shifters then wouldn't it be possible for Abel to become a girl and have a kid with Jy.

Jairus

Quote from: Garsemor on May 03, 2009, 11:08:24 AM
You all realize that Jy is only so happy and confident because of that curs. Or at least as I see it. He has been acting a bit strange ever since he got it (page 860). And let's not forget the little secret arrangement (page 836). We still don't know what Mab's plan is but I'm pretty sure that's part of it too (page 847). Jy has never acted like this and I don't think one trip is enough to get someones confidence up.
Except he hasn't got the curse yet. The bangles are just an IOU from a Fae saying that they are going to curse you in the future. And besides, he had his conversation with Lorenda that day. Of course he's gonna be acting a little differently afterwards.

Quote from: Pagan on May 03, 2009, 10:28:48 AM
Jy looks so happy in that first panel. But wait... As we've learned from Abel's Story, anyone who comes into contact with the Spotted One that is happy is sure to fall into misery. Poor Jyrras.
Oh, that's just unfair to Abel. Besides which, Mink hasn't died yet. And Destania seemed happy when she met Abel, and we know what's happened to her since then... well, okay, that one might be stretching it a bit.