03/29/09 [DMFA #988] - Hidden injuries

Started by Jairus, March 29, 2009, 03:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Wow, neat. I did not know Lorenda knew healing magic. But Kria seems quite knowledgeable on healing spells, appropriate for a former magical teacher. And we have confirmation that Dan has a pierced lung, and I'm guessing that since Kria referred to his aim getting worse he was trying to go for Dan's heart. Also, Kria again knows how to make me laugh. Nice response by Lorenda, BTW.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Titanium Dragon

I greatly enjoyed the pants thing. Obviously Lorenda cannot trust her mother around Dan. Not that we didn't know that already, of course. Conversely, Kria is probably teasing Lorenda, as she sees Lorenda snarling as a good thing - probably seeking that sort of response. It is Kria after all.

Dan hasn't given the pair of them away yet, and while it will be funny when that happens, I suspect it won't happen until after he's fully healed, and possibly longer, just so we can see Jyrras be tortured even more, as well as to bring up something awkward in a hundred strips when we've semi-forgotten the incident and Dan messes it up.

Incidentally, while I'm sure the big comics take a lot longer, they look great. So don't think your work is going to waste, o artist - we do appreciate that extra effort. At least, I do.

Teh_Hobo

Yikes. Thats some RAGE in panel 3. Methinks Kria may try to annoy Lorenda more often now, in an attempt to "bring out the best" in her. Also, Kria's lighthearted tone seems to suggest to me that she should have few problems healing Dan, so thats good.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

tiggertoo

Nice to see some of what Lorenda can do -- totally makes sense that she has magical knowledge and ability - Kria taught magic after all. Still, I was a bit surprised by it for a moment (d'ur!).

Ah yes, these mother-daughter bonding moments, sigh.... The most amusing thing is that Kria is most likely being totally serious about "they bring out the best in you dear" -- she likes to see the fierce side of her daughter.

Jairus

Quote from: tiggertoo on March 29, 2009, 04:10:44 AMAh yes, these mother-daughter bonding moments, sigh.... The most amusing thing is that Kria is most likely being totally serious about "they bring out the best in you dear" -- she likes to see the fierce side of her daughter.
Well, after all, Kria was very worried after Lorenda fell in with the wrong sort of crowd. Kria just wants her daughter to be the best... demon. Might not be what Lorenda wants, but since when has that ever stopped parents from being overbearing?

Also, I really do like that even here, Kria is still being a teacher. It shows a nice side to her. She's still a psycho demon, but it's a nice side nonetheless.

EDIT: And yes, the full-page comics look fantastic (said in the Christopher Eccleston voice).

Hellcat

Woo hoo Lorenda! Finally some demon showing in ya!

TheDeere

The past few have been AWESOME! Thanks, Amber! :)

icarus

those are some healthy teeth! demons must get a racial benefit at the dentists or something.

if the lung was punctured by a claw and not a broken rib, then what dan's really got would be a sucking chest wound. and for those of us who like learning first aid for every situation, the internet is here to help! (WARNING! this link contains some blood and diagrams of wounds. not too graphic but if you're squeamish...)

incidently, a sucking chest wound is also what killed buffalo bill in silence of the lambs. clarice shoots him in the lung :B

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, cool! Thanks, icarus!

... and thanks, Amber. I got a good belly laugh out of today's strip. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Madmann135

So That's how he is going to keep his pants on?  Lorenda Strip guarded Dan from Kria.

The momentary terror in Kria only proves two things, Lorenda does have her moments where she surprises everyone even her mom and Lorenda has a great dental plan.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

icarus

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 29, 2009, 07:22:10 AM
So That's how he is going to keep his pants on?  Lorenda Strip guarded Dan from Kira.

pssst...it's kria dude, not kira.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Lisky

Kria with her devious grin in panel 2 is hilarious...

and if you look at panels 3 and 4, her moment of shock is just that, the briefest of moments... she goes right back to a similar grin almost immediately.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

jeffh4

It occurs to me that Kria and Dan have one thing in common.  If you want to reduce them down to one single motivation, they both have a "one track mind." 

Maybe they are perfect for each other!   :)

inuhanyo

Well, it looks like Dan will be healed by the time Fi and Devin show up again, which is going to make it easy to keep Abel ignorant of how badly Dan was injured.  Or even that he was injured.

Considering the shape Dan's in, I have to wonder how much of the conversations he's been tracking.

All in all, not one of Dan's better days.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 29, 2009, 08:44:21 AM
Well, it looks like Dan will be healed by the time Fi and Devin show up again, which is going to make it easy to keep Abel ignorant of how badly Dan was injured.  Or even that he was injured.

If Kria does it, perhaps.  But there's going to be a s___load of blood everywhere and even if they stop Dan from dying he's going to be weak as a kitten for the next few days (and that's assuming Kria is very, very good at healing).  Devin may have to be the one who washes what's left of Dan's blood-soaked clothes.  Unless they give him one of DP's robes.

Actually, is Devin the same size?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

JackTheCubiWolf

Doubt it. I mean look at how big DP is.
I'm back, and tired.

Tapewolf

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on March 29, 2009, 09:51:19 AM
Doubt it. I mean look at how big DP is.
Indeed.  But it would look nice and ridiculous.  As I say, Devin is a closer match.

Lucheek

Even though Kria is a demon, these mother/daughter bonding moments are so sweet.... awww...

Corgatha Taldorthar

With Demons (and mst creatures for that matter) inherently magical, it would actually be ome surprise that Lorenda had no magical abilities whatsoever. I'm also thinking that she might not be trained in healing per se, but is just trying whatever sort of magical resources she has available, on the princple of "He's dying anyway......"
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Seth C Triggs

I'm just sad Dan got his butt kicked...again. :<

But this update is quite hilarious, nevertheless. Kria: No tact, whatsoever. Heh...

-Seth
BIBP Webcomic - bizarre and NSFW - http://www.bibp.com

icarus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 29, 2009, 10:26:57 AMI'm also thinking that she might not be trained in healing per se, but is just trying whatever sort of magical resources she has available, on the princple of "He's dying anyway......"

well, she did fall in with those hippie na'er do wells back in the day. could have focused on learning healing magic then, as a rebellious teenaged act of ...er...rebellion.

Jack McSlay

maybe Aliph's aim hasn't gotten worst and he was trying to give Dan a slower, more painful death? A heart wound of that magnitude kills in seconds, while a lung wound takes several minutes
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Corgatha Taldorthar

DP seems too pragmatic to go for the slow, painful death when the quick, certain one is available. I'm tempted to believe he just missed, or the angle was wrong for any other sort of hit.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Kenway975

It could be that the angle was off, but my personal theory is that DP's aim as diminished some. In order to stay accurate, even professional marksmen constantly train. DP has been dead for some time now. IF the dead's spirits/souls are aware of the passing of time even between being killed and then resurrected, then DP would have had enough time to have had certain abilities be dulled. But this theory only works if the dead is aware of time passing. If not then it might be caused by side effects of being resurrected,be they temporary or not.

Draken

Possibly the evilest look I have seen on Lorenda's face since her listening in on Bernadette's conversation.

Lucky Dan.....even half dead, the ladies want him   :mwaha

So.....what will happen next?  Will Lorenda admit to the farce?  Or will Kria beat her to the punch?  Will it happen at all, or at the most awkward time?  Stay tuned to the next Dan And Mab Z!

"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2009, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on March 29, 2009, 08:44:21 AM

If Kria does it, perhaps.  But there's going to be a s___load of blood everywhere and even if they stop Dan from dying he's going to be weak as a kitten for the next few days (and that's assuming Kria is very, very good at healing).  Devin may have to be the one who washes what's left of Dan's blood-soaked clothes.  Unless they give him one of DP's robes.

It may only be the censor panda, but Dan (and DP, for that matter) haven't bled all that much.  Considering that Dan has a sucking chest wound, and DP has been cut to the bone in three places.

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 29, 2009, 12:02:38 PM
It could be that the angle was off, but my personal theory is that DP's aim as diminished some. In order to stay accurate, even professional marksmen constantly train. DP has been dead for some time now. IF the dead's spirits/souls are aware of the passing of time even between being killed and then resurrected, then DP would have had enough time to have had certain abilities be dulled. But this theory only works if the dead is aware of time passing. If not then it might be caused by side effects of being resurrected,be they temporary or not.

Training is as much to condition the body as anything else, it would make sense that DP's aim would be a little off after just being resurrected.  And a surfeit of adrenalin can mess up your accuracy too.

Jairus

Maybe that's what's being affected whenever DP comes back from the dead: his aim! His soul is just fine, it's just that every time he comes back Kria notices that his aim gets a little worse. She just says "soul" because when he was a boy, DP was a crack sharpshooter, and shooting was his life.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 29, 2009, 12:23:03 PM
It may only be the censor panda, but Dan (and DP, for that matter) haven't bled all that much.  Considering that Dan has a sucking chest wound, and DP has been cut to the bone in three places.

Lorenda's first second line is that he's lost a lot of blood, so I'm putting it down to the censorship panda.

Draken

Seeing as it is the Censor Panda......what exactly does she DO with all that extra blood now?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

tiggertoo

Quote from: Draken on March 29, 2009, 12:45:26 PM
Seeing as it is the Censor Panda......what exactly does she DO with all that extra blood now?

Make blood pudding obviously -- she can have her Dan and eat him too.  :mwaha