03/26/09 [Abel 2 #50] - Why so serious?

Started by inuhanyo, March 25, 2009, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inuhanyo

Hah, next we get exposition from Fa'Lina

EDIT:  Dang it, seconds apart.  Well, TapeWolf or somebody,  please merge the topics,.

Tezkat

Sorry to hear about your continuing money troubles, Amber. :kittydepressed Hope things work out for you and Mason! :mowcookie

Anyways... looks like some delicious infodumping ahead. Geek out in advance! >:]

Abel's secret life as a banana will finally be revealed! :dface Or was that Pyroduck? I keep mixing up Fa'Linas kids. Also, is it just me, or is she unusually... um... large today?
:mowtongue

EDIT: Dang... 6 seconds? :B
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Corgatha Taldorthar

hmm. Not sure what to think about this strip. Contemplative characters are usually hard to read. One wonders what has Fa'Lina so worried. I mean, why should she care if Destania manages to off Aniz? It's not her problem, and Abel would probably breathe a sigh of relief.

I am hoping that Fa'Lina will reveal whatever it is that Aniz is up to, and why Abel's coloration is so important, but I've seen enough of Amber's comics now to realize that my hopes are pretty slim, and that something's going to come up.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Lisky

oh sweet mother... it's boob-zilia... it's back D:

and now that that's been taken care of...

i wonder what everything includes...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Indy

Quote from: Tezkat on March 25, 2009, 11:47:43 PMAlso, is it just me, or is she unusually... um... large today?

I think she's just holding up her boobs with her crossed arms and that makes them look bigger from the side. Gravity, you know.

...I didn't realize how easy it is to forget how big they really are. o_o

Jairus

Wow... the girls sure look bigger in profile. Also, infodump off the starboard bow! And I loved Fa'Lina's line "I've seen her attempts at humor."

And stress is perfectly understandable in your circumstances, Amber.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Starcat5

*Reboot Voice* "Warning: Incoming Data."

Ooh, next week is going to have SO much yummy exposition...  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Jairus

Quote from: starcat5 on March 25, 2009, 11:59:35 PM
*Reboot Voice* "Warning: Incoming Data."

Ooh, next week is going to have SO much yummy exposition...  :mwaha
Unless they take a strip to settle down for muffins and tea... which would be most delectably eeeeviiiil of Amber. :mwaha

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Teh_Hobo

Side story within a side story. YESSS.

On a "BEWBIES!" related note, man, Fa'Lina is starting to be kind of like Police Girl/Seras from Hellsing. Every issue, she seemed to get a little bigger...
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 26, 2009, 12:03:13 AM
She is perfectly capable of it.
And she would do it so well that we would thank her for doing it and compliment her for pulling it off so well.

Actually, for the sake of pacing, I can see why she'd take an extra comic to let the characters get somewhere quiet and settled in. I sense this might take a while... and since we're about 50+ pages away from the length of Part 1, there might be quite a bit of exposition ahead of us, though there's no guarantee that Part 2 will be quite that long.

GabrielsThoughts

Falina seems more robust. big boned...like Lorenda 
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

N-Cat

Yeah, I noticed that Fa'Lina was unpleasantly...erm... Large today.  Especially in the second panel.  It is also emphasized by her dress being shinier that usual.  Earlier she seemed big, but not (with implants) impossible for a supermodel or something.  Here, though, it's just plain weird.

WojtekPod

*gives Amber a cookie*

I agree that exposition is coming.

Tapewolf

Quote from: WojtekPod on March 26, 2009, 09:12:18 AM
I agree that exposition is coming.

Either that, or we cut to Abel leaving afterwards...

**EDIT**

I guess Fa'Lina's stupendous globes have been adequately covered by now, so I'll just mention that she looks very unimpressed with Destania in the second panel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on March 25, 2009, 11:53:16 PM
i wonder what everything includes...
The first thing Fa'lina might have to start with is to explain to Abel what cubi are.

Given that Abel had no idea what an incubus is when Hennya commented on his headwings...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Magic

QuoteI'll just mention that she looks very unimpressed with Destania in the second panel.

She knew after all what would happen. Note her disappointment in talking to Aniz back in #18.

Actually, I think this is more Amber leaving bits and pieces of Fa'lina's personality and history. She seems to have taken to being rather melancholic whenever she can't seem to change the future for the better, or the past, for that matter. Speculative, but not unfounded considering she could have easily imploded Aniz' face with a third punch back then but didn't.

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Angel

First question: Exactly how much does Fa'Lina's back hurt most of the time?

And now, we wait for Fa'Lina to deliver exposition. And all the confused readers cheer. :)
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Magic

Short answer, no.
Long answer, her dresses are more likely to protest than her back.
Cynical answer, this thread will most assuredly derail into bras and cup sizes the moment anyone else talks about it so back on topic.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Azlan

In fantasy and comics, breast sizes and the effect on the body rarely follow real life situations. 

Cubi seems to be able to defy certain physical conventions because of shapeshifting in my observations, reorienting mass and such.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Turnsky

Quote from: Azlan on March 26, 2009, 11:12:55 AM
In fantasy and comics, breast sizes and the effect on the body rarely follow real life situations. 

Cubi seems to be able to defy certain physical conventions because of shapeshifting in my observations, reorienting mass and such.

not forgetting that Fa'Lina has "standard equipment", too. if you want the logical conclusion, Cubi prolly have enhanced back muscles anyway due to their wings.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Corgatha Taldorthar

Doesn't she mention at some point that "Any bigger and I'd have to reinforce my spine?"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 26, 2009, 11:51:21 AM
Doesn't she mention at some point that "Any bigger and I'd have to reinforce my spine?"
Presumably she has...

Corgatha Taldorthar

Abel's story, part two issue twenty five

It also seems to imply that 'Cubi are bound by laws of physics, no matter what their form are.

I'm still wondering here if a 'Cubi can shapeshift a cut closed. Or regrow a major organ. Or turn into an animal without having to go through the irritation of having to adapt to a novel sensory array and new center of mass.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 26, 2009, 11:57:33 AM
I'm still wondering here if a 'Cubi can shapeshift a cut closed.
They can do something like that, yes.

QuoteOr regrow a major organ.
Don't know about internal organs, but assuming the injury itself doesn't kill them, they can regenerate limbs etc.

QuoteOr turn into an animal without having to go through the irritation of having to adapt to a novel sensory array and new center of mass.
Aary turned into a feral poodle, though that might be a case of stretching 'reality' to fit the joke, who knows...
No, I misspoke.  Weres can transform into feral animals, so it's a good bet 'Cubi can too.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not doubting that a 'Cubi can turn into an animal.

But lets say, Jack the Cubi wanted to turn into a cat for some reason. Compared to humans at least, (and presumably humanoid 'Cubi) Cats have extremely good hearing and smell, with sight not being quite as good in normal light, although very good relative vision in the dark. You are now quadraped, much lower to the ground, your weight distributed differently etc.

If we wanted to be 100% realistic/deny any compensatory abilities, then our 'Cubi turned cat will probably spend a lot of time tripping over his paws, bumping into things, etc until he gets used to his new form. I was wondering whether or not 'Cubi had to go through that learning process.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 26, 2009, 01:22:16 PM
If we wanted to be 100% realistic/deny any compensatory abilities, then our 'Cubi turned cat will probably spend a lot of time tripping over his paws, bumping into things, etc until he gets used to his new form. I was wondering whether or not 'Cubi had to go through that learning process.

Tricky.  Hennya seemed to do reasonably well after the patch turned her into a Being, so that kind of magic might also provide rudimentary reflexes.  'Cubi shapeshifting is probably different.

Personally?  I'd assume they have to learn how to walk as a quadruped and use any other unusual abilities they've given themselves.
It might be a bit more widespread, actually - in one of my stories someone was fingered as a shapeshifter because they had the wrong body language for their assumed species.  That's not canon, but depending on how far Amber takes things, I could imagine that the greater part of shapeshifting is learning how to move and act like a member of a different species.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Azlan on March 26, 2009, 11:12:55 AM

But sometimes, in fantasy comics, the effects are explicitly noted: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-05-22 :)

Angel

Quote from: Ink on March 26, 2009, 10:39:50 AM
Short answer, no.
Long answer, her dresses are more likely to protest than her back.
Cynical answer, this thread will most assuredly derail into bras and cup sizes the moment anyone else talks about it so back on topic.

Ink, because I respect you and your Zero Punctuation quotage, I will obey and get things away from the off-topic-ness. I created it, I can destroy it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 26, 2009, 11:59:41 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 26, 2009, 11:57:33 AM
I'm still wondering here if a 'Cubi can shapeshift a cut closed.
They can do something like that, yes.

QuoteOr regrow a major organ.
Don't know about internal organs, but assuming the injury itself doesn't kill them, they can regenerate limbs etc.

Then how come Abel needed RJ and Ink to heal his torn-off wing in ? He was decidedly not dead, but he didn't heal the injury on his own. I always figured regenerators didn't need to think consciously about healing an injury...or do they?

Also, Amber, that isn't whining. That's completely logical stress, and this is your site, so there is no need to apologize for telling us what's going on. I'd donate money if I could, but I'm a technically-unemployed college freshman. So I'm sending you good thoughts instead.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

PinkKitty

=o.o=; I guess I am not the only one who noticed a certain something's tendency to... grow... as Abel's story continues. Perhaps Amber is going through another phase similar to Jy's ears.

Looking forward to next week's Abel's story though... The whole thing is 75% done, so now we are getting into the final stretch~ =n.n=