3/14/09 [DMFA #981] - No punchline

Started by Caswin, March 14, 2009, 01:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

Just punches.

Or evil rhetoric.  Something like that.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

inuhanyo

OK, DP does know who (or at least what) Dan's mother is.

And Regina isn't knocked out.

And it looks like there won't by any pre fight dialog.

Tyranastrasz

1:
Quote from: Draken on March 13, 2009, 07:02:12 PM
$5 on Dan ignoring DP for a while!
Pay up.

2: I get the feeling Aliph is going to be joining Hennya some time soon...

3: I love the murderous glare on Dan's tentacle head. I would almost say it's better than Dan's own.

AmigaDragon

Ok, so the tentacle punch wasn't enough to knock Regina out. It was enough to put her down while Dan switches target to Aliph, who apparently has put the pieces together that he's Destania's son. While he was surprised by the initial attack on Regina (instead of him?), he recovered composure nicely.

I think Regina will sit this one out, maybe whimpering off to the side over the unfairness of the hit she took. Besides, she knows DP (and now Dan) is out of her league.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

DavidRokon

Hmmm, what are the odds DP is actually Destania and this is some sort of test? Odd thought, hah.

Madmann135

I must say Dan does get a 10 on his battle pose.  The cut cheek and angry dragon heads only add to the badasseryness (I know it's a made up word but you get the idea).

I hope DP was not holding back in his previous matches with Dan just so he could face Dan after he came of age...

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Ragesquid

It almost looks as though that bandage is really tight...or there's a chunk missing, from his side. 'Cause the other side doesn't look quite so...curvy. >.>

Or maybe I'm just going insane. :3

inuhanyo

It worries me that Dan is still silent.  And that look on his face.  Has he lost it?  That would be very dangerous against an opponent like DP.  He needs to use his emotions, not be used by them.

And it looks like he's at least gliding towards his enemy.

EDIT: Oh, yeah.  Kria is going to get to see Aliph and Dan in battle.

Quote from: Fox on March 14, 2009, 02:27:18 AM
It almost looks as though that bandage is really tight...or there's a chunk missing, from his side. 'Cause the other side doesn't look quite so...curvy. >.>

Or maybe I'm just going insane. :3
No, but DP's torso is turned a bit in 980, and in this panel we can only see his right side.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 14, 2009, 02:14:46 AM
I think Regina will sit this one out, maybe whimpering off to the side over the unfairness of the hit she took. Besides, she knows DP (and now Dan) is out of her league.
I wonder if she'll pick up on the implications of DP's statement: "Wait, you know him?"

Madmann135

Somehow I think DP is forgetting something... I'm only doing this because I find it amusing at the moment

Son of a Warrior, Son of a 'teacher.' 100% Daniel Ti'Fiona.

Someone once said that the most fearsome rage and anger is the silent and controlled kind.  Dan is running high on his emotions at the moment but something tells me that this fight will get a little epic before it fizzles out.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Jairus

Wow. Dang. Dan's somewhere between Unstoppable Rage and Tranquil Fury, and he looks very very cool doing it. Moreover, I don't think Dan's lost it: he's not going after Regina anymore, he's taken her (somewhat) out of the fight and he's going after the biggest threat first.

I have to wonder, though... how does Aliph know Destania? Her reputation, or something else? Is this why Destania sent Dan to kill Aliph? Because he's an old enemy/rival/what-have-you?

Also, Amber, the punchline rocks.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Fex

what is that in her mouth? and Amber that is one catchy song =3

Jairus

Quote from: Fex on March 14, 2009, 02:59:50 AM
what is that in her mouth? and Amber that is one catchy song =3
In Regina's mouth? Offhand, nothing: she's just massaging her cheek after Dan tendril-socked her. Maybe seeing if he knocked a tooth out or something.

And there's nothing in Amber's mouth. Besides the music...
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Zedd

Who needs a punchline when a hero stole it from you anyways?

lihua

I'm half worried someone will have already posted something along these lines.  Ah well.

I wonder if the whole 'resurrecting a dark god' is really just a ploy to get adventurers to come kill him.  His own resurrections change him a bit (thus the change in speech bubble style?); perhaps part of this is some gain in power.  It seems like kidnapping maidens -- especially Queen Holly Ann -- would be a good way to get people's attention.  Quite a stretch though, I realize.

In any case, awesome page.  Hope next week goes better for you Amber.

Ganurath

I started to sing along until I got to the last line of the song. Then I got sad.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Mwa

I was half expecting him to leap past DP and go exclusively for Regina.  On that note, can anyone remember the comic the character on her shirt is from?

Feather Dancer

As for knowing he's Dee's son, I poke towards this:

It was actually mentioned a ways back.

Yay tail wrap, it's stylish and functionable when the camera is panned onto your backside.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Cvstos

Am I the only one that wants to see Dan finally and utterly kick DP's butt in an epic curb-stomp battle / moment? Honestly I think Dan gets dumped on quite a bit (Sometimes more literally than others) and I feel it's time for him to finally shine instead of getting hard-countered again.

Eh, even so, we can really only wait and see what happens. And speculate like crazy while Amber laughs at our feeble attempts to predict the future.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Dard

Someone should tell DP that Destania is head of the Pain and Terror department.
The Dan we see here would fit more in the Fury and Wrath department.

ishidan

Quote from: Dard on March 14, 2009, 04:57:35 AM
Someone should tell DP that Destania is head of the Pain and Terror department.
The Dan we see here would fit more in the Fury and Wrath department.
Eh.  Fury and wrath creates pain and terror, assuming you're using them on somebody weaker than you.
Just ask Regina-her sprint down the stairs and attempt to slam the doors shut behind her must have been a trail of frosted breadcrumbs to Dan.  All that terror, mmmmmmm...

Of course, when she comes out with a smirk on her face, the first order of business would be to simultaneously wipe that grin off her face and turn her back into a snack bar of Pain.

!KCA

Quote from: Jairus on March 14, 2009, 02:59:24 AM
I have to wonder, though... how does Aliph know Destania? Her reputation, or something else? Is this why Destania sent Dan to kill Aliph? Because he's an old enemy/rival/what-have-you?

Probably because she keeps sending goons to stifle his plans, which keep interfering in her plot to Kill. All. Dragons.

Quote from: Mwa on March 14, 2009, 03:42:05 AM
On that note, can anyone remember the comic the character on her shirt is from?
Foxy Tangerine.

tiggertoo

At some point in the upcoming throwdown, I expect DP to tell Regina something like "In the future, I would appreciate it if you did not stoke my enemies into a towering rage right before resurrecting me."

And angry, serious Dan is angry - and serious. I kinda expect Dan to keep smacking Regina as is necessary/enjoyable as he deals with DP - sort of a powerup (Regina has to be good for *something* after all).

Tapewolf

That Regina is already sitting up and that DP is unfazed make me think that Dan is not in a good position here.  I've often argued that DP would suspect Dan to an incubus (winged son of known succubus), but he seems to be taking it a bit too well, and fighting two demons at once is likely to be a step too far.  Plus, Dan may be angry enough to make mistakes.  If he'd not been knocked to the floor, he would likely have been able to dice them both up before they knew what was happening, but that time is past.

I must also point out that most of Dan's adventurer skills would likely involve sword-work.  While that could be transferred to tentacle-blades, Dan has not done this before unless he has been secretly practicing.

Quote from: Cvstos on March 14, 2009, 04:38:28 AM
Am I the only one that wants to see Dan finally and utterly kick DP's butt in an epic curb-stomp battle / moment?  I feel it's time for him to finally shine instead of getting hard-countered again.

Amen.

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 14, 2009, 04:23:39 AM
As for knowing he's Dee's son, I poke towards this:

Indeed, but it doesn't explain how he knows Destania.  I suspect that her crimes and the crimes of her students have done the rounds at the Evil Beach Parties.

I'm curious about DP's right wing (his left) - the top of it is all weird and twisted and not like the other one.  See also the previous page.  I guess it's something Dan did to him last time he died.

**EDIT**
Merged the rival threads

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 07:16:22 AM

I must also point out that most of Dan's adventurer skills would likely involve sword-work.  While that could be transferred to tentacle-blades, Dan has not done this before unless he has been secretly practising.

Dan can pull pull a sword out of nowhere, even before he realized his heritage. It's mentioned in his sisters profile.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:22:14 AM
Dan can pull pull a sword out of nowhere, even before he realized his heritage. It's mentioned in his sisters profile.
Oh yes.  I always assumed that was a function of the robe, which isn't here.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 07:33:40 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:22:14 AM
Oh yes.  I always assumed that was a function of the robe, which isn't here.

He can do it with a normal dress as well, makes you wonder where he's keeping those things

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:38:18 AM
He can do it with a normal dress as well, makes you wonder where he's keeping those things

You meant 'normal dress', right?  "a normal dress" would (A) not be magical, and (B) indicate the high-heeled shoes are for more than just practicing balance  >:3

That said, I'm curious as to whether he can do it naked.  Not something I want to see, I hasten to add...

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 07:42:18 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:38:18 AM

You meant 'normal dress', right?  "a normal dress" would (A) not be magical, and (B) indicate the high-heeled shoes are for more than just practicing balance  >:3

That said, I'm curious as to whether he can do it naked.  Not something I want to see, I hasten to add...

Now I think mean both a normal dress and normal, no magical clothes. Either way I think it's a magic trick that he tries to attribute to clothing rather than admit he can even do magic. Sometimes it's difficult to tell rule of funny from 'rules' of DMFA universe. Personally I'd rather not get worked up about it and  stick with the MST3k mantra for now.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:53:32 AM
Either way I think it's a magic trick that he tries to attribute to clothing rather than admit he can even do magic. Sometimes it's difficult to tell rule of funny from 'rules' of DMFA universe.

If that literally is a spell he's casting, I wonder how many times he has to do it for his clanmark to appear?

Cvstos

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2009, 07:55:17 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 14, 2009, 07:53:32 AM
Either way I think it's a magic trick that he tries to attribute to clothing rather than admit he can even do magic. Sometimes it's difficult to tell rule of funny from 'rules' of DMFA universe.

If that literally is a spell he's casting, I wonder how many times he has to do it for his clanmark to appear?

Maybe it's a spell-like ability? *shot for being a huge nerd* Or a very minor spell?
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein