12/13/08 [Abel 2 #39] - ...If I Were You...?

Started by Sunblink, December 13, 2008, 12:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Spiffy art as usual, Amber, filler page or not. :3

Hope things go well for you.

Whatever Destania said to Abel... well, I guess it had to be important, seeing as we didn't actually hear it and it'll probably be mentioned later. :B

Jairus

Agreed.  :hug We're rooting for you Amber!  :eager You're better than this! You can do it!

Oh, and Abel's Story looks great. Thank you for being willing to do something like this, to give us a "spacer" where nothing really happens.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

AmigaDragon

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like he woke and got up off the floor where he fell asleep and went to sit on the bed to think about what he's going to do, whether going after Aniz (very bad idea, new untrained cubi going after older confident one), or going on with his new round of schooling at the academy.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Hellcat

My attention span! This update does nothiiiing!

This has been a redone quote from The Simpsons. Adding randomness to your day, today

techmaster-glitch

Looks like Amber's got Alexi's mallet out and is bashing anyone who doesn't like the pacing..

No plot advancement 4 u! >:3

Howl

superluser

So Destania wasn't in the room?  Or has there been a time-lapse?  Or was panel 2 of the last strip part of Abel's dream, or what?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Corgatha Taldorthar

She was likely invading Abel's dream. Hmm, that makes me wonder, I'm not sure exactly what emotional quarantine is, but assuming Dee knew Abel, or at least some 'Cubi was in the quarantine, could she have entered dreams from her office or wherever? How close does a 'Cubi have to physically be to the target to do that sort of thing.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

superluser

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 13, 2008, 07:32:41 AMHmm, that makes me wonder, I'm not sure exactly what emotional quarantine is, but assuming Dee knew Abel, or at least some 'Cubi was in the quarantine, could she have entered dreams from her office or wherever?

If Dee were doing that from her office, I suspect she didn't inform Fa'Lina, which makes me suspect that Bad Things will happen to Dee.

Of course, Fa'Lina supposedly knows everything that happens, so she must have a reason why she isn't confounding this.

...You know, that leads to some very interesting questions regarding estoppel.  I can imagine a popular defense against Fa'Lina being, ``Well, I did it, and I assumed that if I weren't supposed to do it, you would have stopped me.''

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 13, 2008, 06:52:18 AM
So Destania wasn't in the room?  Or has there been a time-lapse?  Or was panel 2 of the last strip part of Abel's dream, or what?
Maybe Abel should look under the bed.  Also, if there isn't a time-lapse she may possibly still be in the room, just not visible.

Now that I think about it, it seems to have gone from a dark room to a light room.  If it's naturally-lit, that would indicate it's now day.

Quote from: superluser on December 13, 2008, 07:40:03 AM
Of course, Fa'Lina supposedly knows everything that happens, so she must have a reason why she isn't confounding this.

Personally, I think that her foresight is less clear where it comes to people who haven't been under her care for two months or so.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: superluser on December 13, 2008, 07:40:03 AM...You know, that leads to some very interesting questions regarding estoppel.  I can imagine a popular defense against Fa'Lina being, ``Well, I did it, and I assumed that if I weren't supposed to do it, you would have stopped me.''
It would be true.  However, Fa'Lina may have let them do it as part of a lesson on Crime and Punishment.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Naldru

Maybe Destania turned the light on on her way out.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2008, 07:59:04 AM
Personally, I think that her foresight is less clear where it comes to people who haven't been under her care for two months or so.

Or she's just lying to the extent of her abilities. Get a reputation for omniscience and people don't even start to try trouble. We don't really have any evidence about the extent of her omnsicience other than her own statements to the fact
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Zedd

You will find you answer soon Abel, We all do someday

Be well Amber. We are all here for you no matter what!

moriar

I like this page. Pacing and timing are important. Things are going on inside of Abel, and this gives us a hint of the time it's taking.

Ghostwish

Alondro

Quote from: Ghostwish on December 13, 2008, 10:37:47 PM
She could've teleported, ya know.

*Charles thinks... and all dread the results*  Oooo... or maybe she used Sonida!  Cuz then she'd be an Arrancar, and thus cooler!   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2008, 07:59:04 AMMaybe Abel should look under the bed.  Also, if there isn't a time-lapse she may possibly still be in the room, just not visible.

Ah.  Disguised as a wall, no doubt.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2008, 07:59:04 AMNow that I think about it, it seems to have gone from a dark room to a light room.

In the span of the first quarter of the first panel, no less.  Perhaps it was metaphoric night, not literal darkness.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2008, 07:59:04 AMPersonally, I think that her foresight is less clear where it comes to people who haven't been under her care for two months or so.

She's known Destania for a while, though.

(Also, esprit d'escalier: Why does Fa'Lina let bad things happen to good people?)

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 14, 2008, 01:41:09 AM
Ah.  Disguised as a wall, no doubt.
Or she's picked up some kind of invisibility spell in the last 7 millennia.

QuoteShe's known Destania for a while, though.
But not Abel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jack McSlay

assuming destania has been on SAIA for a long time, I think it's possible she already knows of ways to bypass Fa'linas omniscience.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Naldru

I just noticed a similarity between Dan dealing with the death of Hannah and Abel dealing with the Devin.  In both cases, a cubi (although neither knew it yet) with limited experience is undergoing survivor guilt because they don't do enough, even though there wasn't much that they could do.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Naldru

Quote from: superluser on December 14, 2008, 01:41:09 AM
(Also, esprit d'escalier: Why does Fa'Lina let bad things happen to good people?)
I believe that the classic responses are that not allowing it results in predetermination, which implies the absence of free will.

In addition, its sort of like the question of why government allows criminals to escape justice at times.  If the criminals are found not guilty, the government has to let them be.

I assume that the statement is rhetorical, but there are many books on the subject.

My mistake.  I was wondering what the staircase had to do with it.  However, sometimes it is much safer not thinking of the retort until you have left the presence of the other individual.

Note:

Sorry about the double entry.  I hit the post key without thinking.

By the way, I've made some changes to the game in the link in the signature based on your comments.  Some should be obvious, but one may not be apparent at first glance.  In addition a copyright notice has been added and corrected as per the box that must be obeyed.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You'd probably do better to tag them as property of Amber Williams, nee Panyko...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 14, 2008, 09:22:14 AMassuming destania has been on SAIA for a long time, I think it's possible she already knows of ways to bypass Fa'linas omniscience.

I was thinking this seemed more likely.

Quote from: Naldru on December 14, 2008, 01:46:56 PMI assume that the statement is rhetorical

It was esprit d'escalier--the witty saying you think of only after you've already left.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Naldru on December 13, 2008, 08:57:32 AM
Maybe Destania turned the light on on her way out.

It was dark because it happened in Abel's dreams. Nobody bothered to turn off the lights in the real room before or while he slept. At least that's how I see it.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen