06/01/08 [Hybrids #6] - Crossbreeding with the Fae

Started by Sunblink, May 31, 2008, 11:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Now Hollows... that is some fascinating stuff. Makes sense, too. I wonder though - are Hollows functional aside from the lack of emotions and magic, or just lie around dead-like?

Congratulations to Amber for getting out a super-large early update! :> It brought happy-tears to my eyes.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Amber Williams

They are pretty much vegatables. They can breathe, they can eat if you feed em, they can poop. But there is not really anything there that actually makes up what one would call "sentient".

Kibin

So what happens if you stick another soul in the hollow, after it's born? Is that possible? Does it turn off the counter to eventual death?

Sunblink

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 31, 2008, 11:45:08 PM
They are pretty much vegatables. They can breathe, they can eat if you feed em, they can poop. But there is not really anything there that actually makes up what one would call "sentient".

WHAT? D: But... but what about my fanfic? My glorious fanfic about the beautiful dazzling amazingly attractive boobalicious half-Fae princess who is summoned by eternally-foretold prophecies to save the world with all her beauty and charm and infinite magic?

IT WILL WIN ME THE PULITZER PRIZE OF INTERNET LITERATURE.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
PS: R&R PLZ

PSS: Actually, speaking rationally now, that makes sense. Since not having a soul would be pretty... um... deficient. :B Also, there is no fanfic. I lied.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Kibin on May 31, 2008, 11:51:16 PM
So what happens if you stick another soul in the hollow, after it's born? Is that possible? Does it turn off the counter to eventual death?

Souls dont work that way I am afraid. And the fact the hollow are magic immune sort of makes it pretty impossible to try.

nikename2

So strapping them onto your arm to deflect a magic users fireball is still an option?  :rolleyes

Gamma

"Sadly" yes, if you want to lug around a human shield.
Even the most skilled magic user is going to just slice both of you open though. :kruger
Yay! I've rained on some else's parade today! Yay!

I need a life. Crap, I made myself feel bad again.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

tlarn

Wait a minute.

That would mean they would need to actually have sex.

I thought none of the characters did that!

... DEAR GOD I JUST CREATED A PARADOX. THE END IS NIGH! REPENT! REPE-404 Dimension Not Found

Don

Huh, well that's interesting. I was actually going to ask a question on this but..no need to anymore's.

Kinda feel sorry for the hollows though.. :mowsad

tlarn

Quote from: Zack on June 01, 2008, 12:39:48 AM

Huh, well that's interesting. I was actually going to ask a question on this but..no need to anymore's.

Kinda feel sorry for the hollows though.. :mowsad
Don't feel sorry about them!

They don't feel sorry about themselves!

They could care less! :U

Or COULDN'T they?

Kesh

Wow. That's an incredibly evocative and depressing concept. I love it.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are still alive.

Zedd

Somewhat I dont feel remose for them...Its just silly to feel bad for something that alive yet has no life

Victoire Épique

They are pretty much vegatables.

Om nom nom. :V

So how many servings of veggies does eating a hollow count for?

Kenji

Quote from: Victoire Épique on June 01, 2008, 01:51:33 AM
They are pretty much vegatables.

Om nom nom. :V

So how many servings of veggies does eating a hollow count for?

I assume quite a lot if the crossbreed was fae and dryad.

Don

Quote from: Zedd on June 01, 2008, 01:14:11 AM
Somewhat I dont feel remose for them...Its just silly to feel bad for something that alive yet has no life

Despite that they are practically shells, I still feel bad for them, I guess I just value life that much..

!KCA

1. Are hollows sterile?

2. Could a hollow's body be controlled with cybernetic implants?

3. Now I want an army of hollow cyborg assassins.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Zack on June 01, 2008, 02:02:36 AM

Despite that they are practically shells, I still feel bad for them, I guess I just value life that much..
Yea...  :cry

Anyway, two things:
One, yes I know this is Amber-world, but I am just wondering why you wouldn't get any soul from the being/non-fae partner?

Two, perhaps I am just thinking evilly, but if created en-masse, they could be good cannon-fodder or warriors - no emotions, most likely don't feel pain, can't be stopped with magic, and won't revolt on you. Admittedly, dying at 21 would limit their use, but if you start training them from birth, and have them fighting from 12 or so on, you might get enough use out of them for it to be viable.
How you would get plenty? Hm... Perhaps find some fae with some sick sexual fetishes(like having sex with beings for instance), let him/her lose in a population of beings, then spread propaganda as to how these emotionless children need to be taken to you for proper training, or else they will die at 21! (of course, you don't tell the ignorant populous that they will die anyway...  >:3 )
I give this crackpot theory a 'possible, though only somewhat plausible'.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Turnsky

nicely done, i applaud you. now THAT's a way to discourage half-breeds.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

The Darkless

For those who feel kind of sorry for them, you should remember that it's kind of like feeling sorry for a tree or a zombie for that matter. Since a hollow has no soul and is a vegetable, it's basically a bunch of biological matter in a Being shape. It seems like a being, but on a real scale it's about on the level of a tree. No, on the other hand, if you feel sorry for trees then that's your deal, so whatever haha ^-^. That said I can imagine a poor Fae in the world of Furrae that has such an emotional attachment to it's hollow that it takes care of it. Would make for a good story.... *thinks* Hmm....

Amber Williams

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on June 01, 2008, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Zack on June 01, 2008, 02:02:36 AM

Yea...  :cry

Anyway, two things:
One, yes I know this is Amber-world, but I am just wondering why you wouldn't get any soul from the being/non-fae partner?

Two, perhaps I am just thinking evilly, but if created en-masse, they could be good cannon-fodder or warriors - no emotions, most likely don't feel pain, can't be stopped with magic, and won't revolt on you. Admittedly, dying at 21 would limit their use, but if you start training them from birth, and have them fighting from 12 or so on, you might get enough use out of them for it to be viable.
How you would get plenty? Hm... Perhaps find some fae with some sick sexual fetishes(like having sex with beings for instance), let him/her lose in a population of beings, then spread propaganda as to how these emotionless children need to be taken to you for proper training, or else they will die at 21! (of course, you don't tell the ignorant populous that they will die anyway...  >:3 )
I give this crackpot theory a 'possible, though only somewhat plausible'.

-RobbieThe1st

The fact they have no brain capacity to learn how to walk on their own...much less fight...would likely sway anyone from thinking they are a valuable source of soldier.

Seriously.

Perhaps the whole thing in the comic makes it sound like they are just empty vessels of insincts...but really...there is nothing there. No ability to learn. No ability to react to their outside surroundings. Most Fae will kill them at birth, not out of cruelty but because they feel it is even worse to leave something like that alive yet un-alive.

The Hollows are literally the things the Fae never like to admit exist because it is so horribly depressing and bleak.

The Darkless

On that note, I'm interested in what if there is a Fae law against hollows? and what the punishment is for violating that.

schizo

Quote from: The Darkless on June 01, 2008, 02:44:05 AM
For those who feel kind of sorry for them, you should remember that it's kind of like feeling sorry for a tree or a zombie for that matter. Since a hollow has no soul and is a vegetable, it's basically a bunch of biological matter in a Being shape. It seems like a being, but on a real scale it's about on the level of a tree. No, on the other hand, if you feel sorry for trees then that's your deal, so whatever haha ^-^. That said I can imagine a poor Fae in the world of Furrae that has such an emotional attachment to it's hollow that it takes care of it. Would make for a good story.... *thinks* Hmm....
I agree with you there,I could take a sock and stuff it with burger meat,but in no way would i care for it,killing them at birth would be more merciful then leaving them alive as Amber put it.

BarGamer

Hrm... What if a Fae chose to die, right when a Hollow is born? THEN would the Hollow have a soul?

Also: That kinda makes Mab's former crush on Merlitz kinda odd... (This was WAAAY back when we met Aary.)

The Darkless

Quote from: Schizo on June 01, 2008, 03:44:06 AM
Quote from: The Darkless on June 01, 2008, 02:44:05 AM
I agree with you there,I could take a sock and stuff it with burger meat,but in no way would i care for it,killing them at birth would be more merciful then leaving them alive as Amber put it.
Yes, that said. Because it LOOKS like a person and is made of exactly the same things other persons are made of, I can completely understand having an emotional attachment override logic.
Quote from: BarGamer on June 01, 2008, 03:46:34 AM
Hrm... What if a Fae chose to die, right when a Hollow is born? THEN would the Hollow have a soul?

Also: That kinda makes Mab's former crush on Merlitz kinda odd... (This was WAAAY back when we met Aary.)
Affection and mating are two different urges entirely. ^-^, however I think the idea of a Fae giving their soul to their hollow child really.... sweet. But I'm pretty sure that's an impossibility in Amber's world. Actually that's one thing I find kind of funny about Amber, pretty creative and fun with the creations, but at the same time seem very rulestrict, where as most other writer I know like to keep thing ambiguous.  Both styles lend themselves to different things, and I could imagine how ridiculous Furrae could become if it was more ambiguous.

Gildedtongue

Right, so... No Dan and Mab's ""Fur"gotten-condom" Adventures.

Granted, since Fae are perfect beings, can't they just wish themselves sterile?

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 01, 2008, 02:47:51 AM
The fact they have no brain capacity to learn how to walk on their own...much less fight...would likely sway anyone from thinking they are a valuable source of soldier.

Seriously.

Perhaps the whole thing in the comic makes it sound like they are just empty vessels of insincts...but really...there is nothing there. No ability to learn. No ability to react to their outside surroundings. Most Fae will kill them at birth, not out of cruelty but because they feel it is even worse to leave something like that alive yet un-alive.

The Hollows are literally the things the Fae never like to admit exist because it is so horribly depressing and bleak.

so either they become vegetables somewhere, or they go into US Politics, no wonder the fae doesn't have anything to do with them..  >:3

edit: which begs the question, i know that since that only a certain number of Fae can exist at any one point in time. (Fae souls are like energy in that regard, cannot be created nor destroyed)  What about the other half of the equation?.. That also gives rise to another question which while unable to work with a hollow, is something on my mind.. Can a soul be 'created' on furrae?..

i figure i'd also bring this out to the fore before someone else does in hopes of making a fanfic to it, my guess that given their highly resistant to magic nature, and inability to learn, Wouldn't that (much later on) make Hollows the perfect target for aspiring scientists with hopes of making giving their Artificial Intelligences a meaty body to use as a puppet? Granted this could be done with anything else organic.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

The Darkless

Quote from: Turnsky on June 01, 2008, 03:49:17 AMso either they become vegetables somewhere, or they go into politics, no wonder the fae doesn't have anything to do with them..  >:3
Fix'd it for you.

rabid_fox

They'd make for great conversation pieces if you littered your house with them.

"What the?!" your first time guest would exclaim. "Why are there vacant eyed, slumped wotsits all over your house?!"

"Oh, they're my Hollows," you'd say, "They not much fun at a party, but they sure do help the cold nights pass."

Oh dear.

The Darkless

Quote from: rabid_fox on June 01, 2008, 04:52:29 AM

They'd make for great conversation pieces if you littered your house with them.

"What the?!" your first time guest would exclaim. "Why are there vacant eyed, slumped wotsits all over your house?!"

"Oh, they're my Hollows," you'd say, "They not much fun at a party, but they sure do help the cold nights pass."
Yeah, but you'd have to feed and clean up after them to keep um alive, not very practical...

Also I think it would be a fairly bad taste, almost like having a collection of stillborn babies.

kaskar

:mowsad Of course, crossbreeding is not really out of the Question, as long as you have a fae essence contact it. Remember Mab's daughter, from a cup of tea, and a Fae essence. I wonder what would happen if a random essence contacted Jyrass in his fae exploites with Mab. In theory, you would end up with a half-fae Jyrras ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...