28/05/08 [DMFA #908] - New job please?

Started by Psaakyrn, May 28, 2008, 03:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psaakyrn

I guess they are lucky that the bezerk giant is chasing something other than them... Also, for a doom castle/dungeon, it's rather sparse and sanitary. :o
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Aleolus

Wow, one eye completely red, the other completely blue, there's something you don't see every day.

Also, are they making a D&D crack in the first panel?  I wonder...

Jakon

Heh, nice reference to D&D there. Every single player I know hates the upcoming Fourth Edition, even though they know diddlysquat about it.

Victoire Épique

Well. I knew she was big, but... wow. This should prove to be fun.  :,

Quote from: Amber WilliamsNya ha ha...

Omega

As far as I can tell, the 4th edition looks like it could be a good improvement compared to it's predecessors. From what I've heard, they put effort into the melee classes and the ability to play board game on line sure would help me and my friends play more often than we do now.
I'm still not gonna buy the damn thing. I don't have money even to donate the wallpaper wars, much less to some new book of an old system.

Anyway, a late update is better than no update at all. Skipping a Monday was just the right thing to do for Amber.

Lorien

Well, that seems a good solution for ya Amber. 

And I agree with our strange looking friend there... I like 3.5.  D:

Psaakyrn

You know what?

a) There's no reason to hate it. No one's forcing you to use 4th ed.
b) The books are just guides, no more, no less. The DM still has the option to bend the rules, and are in fact encouraged to do so.
c) The numbers are just an aid. The dice is just to ensure fairness. They exist only to assist in the core part of the game: the freedom of choice.

Unless you're going to fight it on a more philosophical point, which inherently ignores the content of book. (just as our dual-eyed guy is doing.)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

TheAuldGrump

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 28, 2008, 04:21:28 AM
You know what?

b) The books are just guides, no more, no less. The DM still has the option to bend the rules, and are in fact encouraged to do so.
c) The numbers are just an aid. The dice is just to ensure fairness. They exist only to assist in the core part of the game: the freedom of choice.

Unless you're going to fight it on a more philosophical point, which inherently ignores the content of book. (just as our dual-eyed guy is doing.)
Actually, there are many reasons to hate it - but few are tied to the rules (at least for some people, I really have not liked what I have seen of them, but assume that this is my personal taste, not necessarily shared by all and sundry). A greater problem is how they are handling the turnover from 3.X to 4.0 - requiring the destruction and/or the covering of the D20 logo on D20 materials. Dropping Dragon and Dungeon magazines in favor of a (largely unsuccessful) Digital Initiative, more severe limitations in the GSL vs the older OGL, etc..

If you are not a lover of miniatures then there are rules reasons to dislike the turn of the new game, but given my vasty metal and plastic armies I cannot, in good conscience, cite that as a flaw. (Though none are from the random plastic horribly prepainted D&D minis....)

The Auld Grump

Wanderer

So... Aliyka crawls on a vicious rampage down the hallway that she's too big to fit in as Dan flees in terror.

Turnsky

Quote from: TheAuldGrump on May 28, 2008, 04:34:17 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 28, 2008, 04:21:28 AM
You know what?

Actually, there are many reasons to hate it - but few are tied to the rules (at least for some people, I really have not liked what I have seen of them, but assume that this is my personal taste, not necessarily shared by all and sundry). A greater problem is how they are handling the turnover from 3.X to 4.0 - requiring the destruction and/or the covering of the D20 logo on D20 materials. Dropping Dragon and Dungeon magazines in favor of a (largely unsuccessful) Digital Initiative, more severe limitations in the GSL vs the older OGL, etc..

If you are not a lover of miniatures then there are rules reasons to dislike the turn of the new game, but given my vasty metal and plastic armies I cannot, in good conscience, cite that as a flaw. (Though none are from the random plastic horribly prepainted D&D minis....)

The Auld Grump

"out out darn spot"

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Wanderer

Oh, and Wanderer hates the idea of a new edition at all. I really don't know anything about what's in it, and I don't care, but 3.5 eliminated several things I liked about 3.0, so I have no doubt 4.0 will eliminate all sorts of things I still like in 3.5. Ergo, I hate it.

Besides, change is bad. Everyone knows this.

Kasarn

So, does giant monster Aliyka prefer squishies or voring?

(lol, macrofurs :V )

MT Hazard

Interesting, I have nothing useful to add to this, so here's something useless

You have encountered a dragon

Scenario one:
You charge straight at the dragon and stab it with a hugely powerful sword created by some forgotten god. Due to some dice rolling low the dragon yelps as if stung by a bee and and eats you, your party and a nearby village before eventually dying of food poisoning.

Scenario Two:
In a moment of madness you throw a small stone at the dragon. Due to some dice rolling high the dragon explodes into a million blood soaked pieces and rains down around you. Stinking of blood and sulphur you stagger out of the cave and throw up, you can wash but you'll never be clean. 

Feel free to add more Scenarios.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kasarn on May 28, 2008, 06:39:53 AM

She prefers rending and mauling - but I doubt that she is berserk enough to devour her victims after mutilating them.

Also, for some reason I love that "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". I wonder who produces this sound? :3

Oh, and I have to agree with Graz's statement in the last panel. It is truly time to retreat hastily.

Turnsky

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 28, 2008, 06:57:46 AM
Quote from: Kasarn on May 28, 2008, 06:39:53 AM

She prefers rending and mauling - but I doubt that she is berserk enough to devour her victims after mutilating them.

Also, for some reason I love that "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". I wonder who produces this sound? :3

Oh, and I have to agree with Graz's statement in the last panel. It is truly time to retreat hastily.

well, dan now.. and on the wallpaper war, Abel will be, methinks.. at least singing castrato for a while.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alondro

*Charles reads*  Oh boy!  Looks like two job openings!  Does DP pay well?  I need higher pay.  My dad still needs a job too.   I wonder what benefits come with evil henchmanship.  :)

*Charline bah*  It's a flashback, twit.  The jobs are long gone.

*Charles remains poor*   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Madmann135

I find it funny how henchmen go with the bad guy whole heartly at first but when things get hairy (or in this case big, mad and rampaging) they look for the next assignment.
Now if all adventuring parties had their own version of Bruce Bannner then small scale henchmen would not be looking for jobs. 

This is also probably why DP hired a dragon last time.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Raiettei

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 28, 2008, 11:08:25 AM
I find it funny how henchmen go with the bad guy whole heartly at first but when things get hairy (or in this case big, mad and rampaging) they look for the next assignment.
Now if all adventuring parties had their own version of Bruce Bannner then small scale henchmen would not be looking for jobs. 

This is also probably why DP hired a dragon last time.

That's what he gets for hiring the lowest bidders...   :3

Madmann135

Quote from: Raiettei on May 28, 2008, 11:20:23 AM

It is not about looking for the lowest bidders, it is about survival.  When bad guys make an apearance and plan on doing really, REALLY bad things the powerful and intimidating good guys show up and dispach the evil dooers.
*dawns a paladin armor and raises a broad sword over his head in a classic heroic manner, light shines off the armor and a glowing reflection is cast from the sword* :sword

Intimidation is a powerful weapon, the threat of being torn to shreads is a powerful incentive to get the h#!! out of dodge.

They don't have the quality control of henchmen like they used to.  That's good for the adventurers.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Raiettei

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 28, 2008, 11:32:53 AM
Quote from: Raiettei on May 28, 2008, 11:20:23 AM

It is not about looking for the lowest bidders, it is about survival.  When bad guys make an apearance and plan on doing really, REALLY bad things the powerful and intimidating good guys show up and dispach the evil dooers.
*dawns a paladin armor and raises a broad sword over his head in a classic heroic manner, light shines off the armor and a glowing reflection is cast from the sword* :sword

Intimidation is a powerful weapon, the threat of being torn to shreads is a powerful incentive to get the h#!! out of dodge.

They don't have the quality control of henchmen like they used to.  That's good for the adventurers.

So... he hires them based on their powers and species? That makes a heckuva lot more sense to me than anything I've ever thought!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 28, 2008, 11:32:53 AM

Paladins don't tear Evil to shreds, my friend. They Cleave and Smite Evil. With extreme prejudice. However, don't forget that some evil guys are quite intimidating and powerful themselves.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Wanderer on May 28, 2008, 06:11:05 AM
So... Aliyka crawls on a vicious rampage down the hallway that she's too big to fit in as Dan flees in terror.
In the previous strip she didn't seem quite that big. But then maybe she wasn't done growing.  Size vs speed was mentioned before, but in the discussion being "too big for the terrain" was left out. So even if she could otherwise easily catch them, the tight fit in the halls is slowing her down to where they can keep ahead better.

On the D&D side (does anyone bother to call it AD&D any more?), I've only played v2 and a v1/v2 blend. My brother said he liked v3. This thread is the first I've heard about v4, though the discussion in the strip did make me first think they were talking about it (or a Furrae equivalent).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Aleolus

Perhaps she is like Hulk, where the madder she gets, the bigger and stronger she gets?

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: Aleolus on May 28, 2008, 12:39:38 PM

Perhaps she is like Hulk, where the madder she gets, the bigger and stronger she gets?

Only being big is a bit of a problem at the moment.

"Arrrgh! Being too big to get through this hallway makes me so mad! *gets bigger* ...damn!"

And thus, anger management prevails.

Titanium Dragon

Well, its better than 3.5...

In other news, yay for getting comics on time again.

Aleolus

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on May 28, 2008, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: Aleolus on May 28, 2008, 12:39:38 PM

Only being big is a bit of a problem at the moment.

"Arrrgh! Being too big to get through this hallway makes me so mad! *gets bigger* ...damn!"

And thus, anger management prevails.

Ah, but the bigger she gets, the longer reach she has, and so the less she actually has to move to grab them ^_^

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Aleolus on May 28, 2008, 03:24:47 PM
Ah, but the bigger she gets, the longer reach she has, and so the less she actually has to move to grab them ^_^

Plus, if she gets big enough, the roof ceases to be a problem.

Not that I'm advocating this idea, of course.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Slowtini

...Kitty needs a BIIIIIG catnip mousey.

GabrielsThoughts

is it possible Alyka is part gryphon as well?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

KlaatuWolf

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I seriously see Akyla (sp) yelling "STERN!" after she breaks down the door and is running down the hall.