26/05/08 [Abel 2 #18]- Is Destania Still Here

Started by Naldru, May 26, 2008, 12:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naldru

There appears to be a little history between Aniz and Destania.  Given the increase in time to the next kid and the other clues, the possibility of Edward being Aniz seems to have gone up.

Hey, isn't anybody going to yell at me for bringing up "Edward may be Aniz" again

Dan is now right age

This could be reference to relationship between Destania and Edward.  It also explains how he knew her name

Have you considered the possibility that Destania felt that she must destroy Edward because she did see through his disguise and knew he was Aniz?

Perhaps Destania was required to kill Aniz but was prevented from doing so while they were both at SAIA.  Edward might have liked Destania and felt that this would be a very awkward situation.  Destania might have worked at training Abel because she felt thankful to Edward for not forcing the awkward situation.

All comments made with the understanding that Amber is the final arbiter and her decisions are final, just, wise, and not subject to appeal.  Although I do find the story line appealing.

Please remember:

If it swims like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it does not mean that it is a duck.  However, it being a duck is a reasonable hypothesis worthy of consideration and evaluation.

Mod Edit: Please do not revert the changes I made to your thread subject. :V
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Aurawyn

Wow, he must really hate Dee..

So much so that he would rather wait 375 years before he can bring another kid in then spend 50 years at SAIA when shes there..

Naldru

I was thinking that he can't face Dee because of shame.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Jack McSlay

maybe he was a poor student in Dee's class and fears she might pick on him  :U

Quote from: Naldru on May 26, 2008, 12:18:42 AMHey, isn't anybody going to yell at me for bringing up "Edward may be Aniz" again
woudn't Destania be a clever enough cubi to see right through another cubi's disguise?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Zedd

Tarynsgate

AAANDD the plot thickens!

Now it makes me wonder if Abel's dislike for Dee could be the same reasons why Aniz dosen't like her?
Et Manu Et Corde - With hand and with heart

Darkdragon

I really like Fa'lina's expression in the third panel. Its as if she knows by that point what Aniz's answer would be.

AmigaDragon

If Aniz can't stand to stay because Destania's there, there must be some strong conflict between them, whether real or perceived.

Aniz=Edward? I still say no. Though I haven't yet seen any confirmation or denial regarding cubi being able to sire non-cubi. If they can't, then Aniz isn't Alexsi's father, so up to around her birth, Edward isn't Aniz (though he could be after that).

As or Abel's dislike of Destania, where did you get that? I don't recall anything hinting that part.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ren Gaulen

If we only knew what is going on between Destania and Aniz!... Either way, I am all but sure that Edward is Aniz (in disguise) now. And yes, I think Aniz "replaced" Edward with himself after Alexi's birth.

Omega

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 26, 2008, 02:08:25 AM
If we only knew what is going on between Destania and Aniz!...
Don't worry. I'm sure Amber will spill that sooner or later.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 26, 2008, 02:08:25 AM
Either way, I am all but sure that Edward is Aniz (in disguise) now. And yes, I think Aniz "replaced" Edward with himself after Alexi's birth.
You watch too much TV.

As the Captain Obvious just said there in a post before the last one, there might be something between Aniz and Destania. I put my money on "ex lover" -option. COME ON! Daddy needs new suit!!

e_voyager

thews is so much more here then is this? and is that? but is' also more simple then people are willing to let it be. and lets not forget Alexsi as she ands more uncernity to the equation.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Psaakyrn

I'm in the view that the Cyra clan is in part responsible for the cubi genocide, based on several references from:

*hidden page* (links dragon and cubi destiny)
Destinia (as opposed to Cyra Clan) being sought after by dragons.
Offspring of Destinia (as opposed to Dan Ti'Fonia) being sought after by dragons. (conclusion: Cyra clan is also similarly sparse, and Destinia the only surviving clan member, clan leader may or may not be surviving)
Destinia seeking death of dragons. (related to links between cubi and dragon: given that the links are formed long ago...)
Aniz apparent dislike of Destinia. (if Cyra Clan is involved with his clan's near-annihiliation...)

I doubt Aniz is Edward, given that of all people, Fa'Lina should realize that from visiting the tavern and background research. (unless she is implying that Aniz is fast and cowardly in http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_489.php ) And that Destinia refers to Edwards as Edwards in http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_726.php which I find unlikely if she did know that Edwards is Aniz.

On a curiosity, what would happen if a clan founder dies?
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tezkat

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 26, 2008, 04:04:42 AM
I'm in the view that the Cyra clan is in part responsible for the cubi genocide, based on several references from:

*hidden page* (links dragon and cubi destiny)

The first rule of hidden page is you do not talk about hidden page. :mowtongue

Destinia (as opposed to Cyra Clan) being sought after by dragons.
Offspring of Destinia (as opposed to Dan Ti'Fonia) being sought after by dragons. (conclusion: Cyra clan is also similarly sparse, and Destinia the only surviving clan member, clan leader may or may not be surviving)

Cyra is alive and well in the present day, and her clan is supposedly one of the most powerful.

Destinia seeking death of dragons. (related to links between cubi and dragon: given that the links are formed long ago...)

I'm pretty sure that the bad blood between Cubi and Dragons extends beyond Destania's little operation. Just look at Abel's first impression of Pyroduck.

The clan goes on, but its members lose the special abilities that came from their founder pouring their energy into the clan (like tentacles heads). Only a small handful of clans contain living founders.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Raffe

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 26, 2008, 02:02:37 AM
As for Abel's dislike of Destania, where did you get that? I don't recall anything hinting that part.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_811.php

Can't they all, just get along? :B :B
Hooray ellipsis!

WhiteFox

Alright. I'll bring up my theory about Ed is Aniz in a bit. First I have to get through this.

AS2 no.13: Aniz talks about how Abel looks. "The wings. The eyes. They're perfect."
AS2 no.15: Aniz mentions "His plan" and Fa mentions "the last one" she shut down.

Here's my theory: Aniz is trying to recreate his clan (Hence the importance of Abel's look). Fa'Lina is worried about irresponsible breeding producing hordes of teen Cubi, not raised responsibly, getting dumped on SAIA, (or just having too many in the world in general causing trouble). Aniz might have struck a note with the Clan comment. So Fa compromises and says it's ok to do what you're doing as long as the kids are raised properly.

Theory 2: Fa is just making Aniz stick around so he'll bond with his son, realize he's not some tool or prop, and maybe Abel comes out with a real dad and a better life. And flowers and kittens and rainbows.

Anyway... As for Aniz/Ed, maybe Dest picked Ed for his similar looks to Aniz. Maybe going for a similar Clan look (As Aniz was doing), maybe she got sentimental, but maybe Ed just *looks* like Aniz.

[EDIT] If there's one thing that impresses me about this comic compared to everything so far, it's how little there is on this page. A minute of silence, a pause, a tense moment is such a powerful tool in story telling that often gets little regard in favor of constant action and dialogue. Dedicating an entire page to what could be done in a panel and a half is brave. Bravo, Amber.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Victoire Épique

Excuse me while my head blows up.

Repeatedly.

Just because I played with the theories doesn't mean I actually expected it. :U

(Honestly, this wouldn't have surprised me so much if it weren't for the tie-in of Destania.)

Feather Dancer

Well there's a mention of a Cubi Vs Dragon war or a big war at least from what little Abel mentioned a ways back, though Fa'Lina directly mentions "The killzone that makes up Destina's family" which seems to drag at least part of the Cyra Clan having something to do with the Cubi war OR she's referring to the future potential of the wiping out the Dragons Dee and Biggs mentioned. That said, given the Dragons are clearly after Dee, it seems like something happened prior to start this line of thinking. Cyra's clearly alive as Dan has the Dragony heads (ironic) wing trademark and a wallpaper war commented if she or Neni would show up first. Look forward to that one happening.

Abel also at least seems to be aware of the Ti'Fiona name on top of this weeks page so clearly SOMETHING happened in that direction that meant Aniz/his clan was somehow involved or an unintentined victim of said something. Fa'lina's clan also got dragged into it via whatever reason yet doesn't appear as grudge bound, whether she is or not is another matter.

Personally I'd love to hear more about the war, that snippet got me really interested. I've a history freak.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on May 26, 2008, 12:51:32 AMwoudn't Destania be a clever enough cubi to see right through another cubi's disguise?
Yes, but it might take a few minutes to do, especially given that Dee was in a particularly sorry state when she met Edward.

On the other hand, the idea that she knew immediately despite her injuries and exhaustion and had to destroy him because he was Aniz and they had some kind of clan squabble is rather an interesting one.
It certainly explains the 'laws' if it was a clan-specific law, given that 'Cubi are sparsely distributed and in some cases ignorant of their own lore. Though it does re-open the question of how he talked her down, which the Edward-Aniz theory solved if she thought he was a Being.

A counterpoint to that notion is Abel himself.  Would she have invested her time in teaching him to survive alone, would she have 'a vested interest' (713) in his wellbeing if they were mortal clan enemies held together only by Fa'Lina's will?  One possibility is that she actually wanted to use him to take Aniz down, but frankly that's a silly idea.

QuoteMod Edit: Please do not revert the changes I made to your thread subject. :V
I hesitate to say this, because it's none of my business, but... Hanlon's razor?  If you were both editing it and and he finished last, your edit would surely get squashed, mod or no and he'd have no idea.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Chaos

I'm actually interested in the fact that Aniz was willing to see reason, and that Destina was only the kicker. I mean, really, 50 vs. 375, and he was willing. Then again, given Abel's description of her, Aniz might thing she's more evil then he is.

SpottedKitty

If Aniz can't stand to stay because Destania's there, there must be some strong conflict between them, whether real or perceived.
I... don't know about this. I got the impression Aniz had already decided to leave, and his question about Dee was a different matter. And I don't go with the "they hate each other" idea: there's something almost hopeful in Aniz's question. Enough to make him change his mind, depending on the answer? Apparently not.

Fa'lina's expression and body language... there's a whole conversation going on here that we don't know anything about. Yet. I'm looking forward to finding out.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 26, 2008, 04:46:47 AM
As for Abel's dislike of Destania, where did you get that? I don't recall anything hinting that part.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_811.php
Alright, I was forgetting that one.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 26, 2008, 04:04:42 AM
He/she is dead. :B
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 26, 2008, 09:24:52 AM
On the other hand, the idea that she knew immediately despite her injuries and exhaustion and had to destroy him because he was Aniz and they had some kind of clan squabble is rather an interesting one.

What amazes me is that despite all the speculation peeps have thrown out, no one has ever made the assumption that when Destania came in all "weak and injured", that she was faking it...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 26, 2008, 12:06:14 PM
What amazes me is that despite all the speculation peeps have thrown out, no one has ever made the assumption that when Destania came in all "weak and injured", that she was faking it...

Well, for starters you're the only person who really knows what makes her tick psychologically >:3.  The rest of us have already had several very conflicting reports of what she's like, from Abel,  Aary and Alexsi which has given us a very confused idea of what she is capable of.

Also, if she's spent most of her 7000 years inside the academy, confined to a relatively narrow field, she might not be too hot when it comes to actual, real combat.  With that in mind, she might not need to fake injury, especially given that a single crossbow bolt in the right place is liable to kill her, 7000 or not.

Ultimately, we do only know what Alexsi related, so a feint is quite possible.

Lushin

Edward and Aniz aren't the same person. Alexsi is Edwards daughter from another woman remember. Des and Aniz might have dated or something in the past and it didn't end well. Also I think Falina has a thing for Aniz too. That may just be me.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Daimien on May 26, 2008, 01:59:48 PM
Edward and Aniz aren't the same person.
If you can absolutely disprove that, I and a bunch of other people would be very interested to hear your reasoning >:3

QuoteAlexsi is Edwards daughter from another woman remember. Des and Aniz might have dated or something in the past and it didn't end well. Also I think Falina has a thing for Aniz too. That may just be me.
I'm not sure what the significance of your first statement there is, but I rather doubt Dee and Aniz had much going at SAIA, given that she would have been his teacher.  Even if that's not considered taboo, he'd have had a lot of competition.  AFAIK she's been at SAIA for the last seven millennia.  I can't comment on the Fa'lina-Aniz thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Also, isn't there a possibility that Cubi-Being fraternisation generates a Being, rather than a Cubi? It's not 100% Cubi, I mean. In which case, it's possible that Aniz == Edward, and Aniz + Alexsi's mother came up with Alexsi, who isn't Cubi.

That's all from memory and supposition, though, so I could well be wrong.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lushin

Didn't fluffy say something about Cubi get with Beings make a Cubi cause there is almost no chance of the child being born a Being. If there is a chance it would be very small, seeing as Beings aren't very strong. Cubi mate with Beings to get a Cubi child. I don't know why people are so set on Edward being Aniz. Maybe Edward was the one that killed Aniz or something.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Daimien on May 26, 2008, 02:50:46 PM
Didn't fluffy say something about Cubi get with Beings make a Cubi cause there is almost no chance of the child being born a Being.
She said that only seemed to happen if the 'Cubi was the more powerful of the two parents.  She did not say that that result would always be a 'Cubi, and indeed when discussing Megan, her exact words were "She'd probably look something like this if she became a 'Cubi." - note the qualifier at the end.

QuoteIf there is a chance it would be very small, seeing as Beings aren't very strong. Cubi mate with Beings to get a Cubi child.
Yes, but that doesn't mean they will end up with one.  I'd put my money on a 3/4 chance, which seems to be the norm with genetics.  It has been suggested that Devin was a failed attempt and that his father left when the child didn't have wings.

QuoteI don't know why people are so set on Edward being Aniz. Maybe Edward was the one that killed Aniz or something.
Maybe.  I like the idea of Aniz having grown into a better person, which is my stake in the theory, I think.

Sunblink

Y'know, I'm not really sure if anyone has suggested this before, but I'll throw this out anyway. What if Aniz only attempted to kill him and assume Edward Ti'Fiona's identity, and had failed for whatever reason? Particularly, if Edward managed to defeat, and kill Aniz?

I'm probably going to hold onto that theory. The three hundred seventy five-year distance is still curious.

I'll just speculate about Destania for now, since everyone else on the forum has the Aniz = Edward niche occupied. :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 26, 2008, 12:30:35 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 26, 2008, 12:06:14 PM

Well, for starters you're the only person who really knows what makes her tick psychologically >:3.  The rest of us have already had several very conflicting reports of what she's like, from Abel,  Aary and Alexsi which has given us a very confused idea of what she is capable of.

Also, if she's spent most of her 7000 years inside the academy, confined to a relatively narrow field, she might not be too hot when it comes to actual, real combat.  With that in mind, she might not need to fake injury, especially given that a single crossbow bolt in the right place is liable to kill her, 7000 or not.

Ultimately, we do only know what Alexsi related, so a feint is quite possible.

Hmm... that's another thing that's been bugging me for a while. Destania is obviously not a weak fighter. (Consider Abel's and Alexsi's respect for her combat abilities.) 7000 years is probably way past the point where crossbow bolts without some serious magical buffs will be any threat.

Everyone seems to be assuming (probably because of the torches and pitchfork crowd at the inn) that it was Adventurers of some kind who jumped Destania after she left SAIA. I can't find any official, Amber-supported references to that effect. Given her power level, I really don't see that happening. She's almost as old as Fa'Lina.

It makes a lot more sense for her assailants to have been slightly larger, and of the prone to fire-breathing persuasion. Either that, or completely imaginary. >:]
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...