04/21/08 [DMFA #897] - Giving Peace a Chance.

Started by AndersW, April 21, 2008, 05:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

Aisha deCabre

She's quick to jump to conclusions a little bit, ain't she? x3

And that's an interesting design for that ruler dude.  Kinda surreal machine-ish.  You'd think someone would think as someone never wanting to give peace a chance with that decor.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gareeku

Poor Aliyka...so naíve X3

And I like the dark ruler's design very much. Badass indeed

AndersW

I find it funny that now that Dan is wearing a dress people can tell he is a guy. :mowhappy

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Difficult to say if that thing is the leader, or just the first guard she bumped into.  Whatever it is, it's damn cool.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lucheek

I sound like an idiot, but I don't get Alikya's line in the last panel. (Giving peace a chance doesn't second ones I hope you all know.")

Feather Dancer

She means that despite she first offered giving peace a chance, it doesn't mean they're getting another one for stringing her up in a dungeon.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

terrycloth

I'm guessing the weird animated armor thing is a death knight, since the leader is DP and he doesn't look anything like that. It could just be some other random emmisarry or servant, though. Sorry, did I say 'random'? I meant 'awesome'.

Lu, I think she means that she won't give them a second chance for peace after they kidnapped her.

Zedd

Lorien

I'd like to note how great Aliyka looks in these panels.  The armor redesign is awesome.

It'll be amusing to see where this goes.

Ryan_Galen

Well, given that all of DP's henchmen so far appear to be female aside from the one in the vest who zapped Dan, and one of the two hired mythos, I don't think Aliyka's assumption is a bad one. Maybe DP has been recruiting all the maidens who he runs across that haven't met his professional standards of purity. After all, you have to have professional standards of purity when making sacrificies to a dark god.

Alondro

*Charles heys!*  Bad guys tell lies!  That's not fair!  They should tell the truth when they're trying to trap peoples!  That'd be much nicer.  Honesty is the best policy!   :3

*Charline hmms*  Perhaps I knocked out too many of his brains last time...
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Gamma

Nah he just lost his marbles.

*Gamma is sitting down shooting marbles at each other, one rolls down a floor vent*

The term "lost" can have many meanings and changes from the persons perspective.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Lorien on April 21, 2008, 06:46:17 PM
I'd like to note how great Aliyka looks in these panels.  The armor redesign is awesome.

It'll be amusing to see where this goes.

But how can this phoenix be Aiyka if in #117 Dan is surprised that she's a phoenix? Was she changed from phoenix to something else after #897 and then back again before 117?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Akisohida

I do not think that is Aliyka. Not every female bird HAS to be Aliyka, ya? :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Sid

I'm with all the people above who totally love the third panel.

Quote from: Lucheek on April 21, 2008, 06:20:39 PM
I sound like an idiot, but I don't get Alikya's line in the last panel. (Giving peace a chance doesn't second ones I hope you all know.")

Note the shackles in panel 4 ;)
She gave peace a chance. One chance. It didn't work out :P

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 21, 2008, 08:26:46 PM
But how can this phoenix be Aiyka if in #117 Dan is surprised that she's a phoenix? Was she changed from phoenix to something else after #897 and then back again before 117?

I'd guess that this is just a Furcadia-related out-of-continuity joke that is currently being retconned since changing species/race should be extremely hard in the currently-established universe.

Edit to add: ...unless Amber pulls an OMG-twist like when she canonized the bit about Destania being in Twink Territory.
:boogie

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Akisohida on April 21, 2008, 08:39:29 PM

Right, the other two (#893) also weren't Aliyka. This one however seems to have all her same colorings. The only difference I see (besides refinement of Amber's art) is that back in Hero For Hire, the only armor Aliyka was wearing was a shoulder piece, where this one is wearing more armor. Of course, the next day (or for some, several times a day), let alone years later, an individual can change their clothes.

However, a couple possible indicators for this actually being Aliyka are the caption for #896 and her Kingdom of origin in #897.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Fresnor

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 21, 2008, 09:36:20 PM
Quote from: Akisohida on April 21, 2008, 08:39:29 PM

Right, the other two (#893) also weren't Aliyka. This one however seems to have all her same colorings. The only difference I see (besides refinement of Amber's art) is that back in Hero For Hire, the only armor Aliyka was wearing was a shoulder piece, where this one is wearing more armor. Of course, the next day (or for some, several times a day), let alone years later, an individual can change their clothes.

However, a couple possible indicators for this actually being Aliyka are the caption for #896 and her Kingdom of origin in #897.

Also let us not forget http://www.missmab.com/Cast/aliyka.php since it's really unlikely someone else would have the exact same colorings and marking unless they are identical twins.

RobbieThe1st

Why doesn't anyone see what seems like the obvious solution to me:
This is a flashback of what Dan is remembering, right? He could have forgotten to explain that Aliyka wasn't a phoenix the entire time, or was simply filling in the missing detail in his memory with current detail - It has been years, he could have forgotten a few small things, which would probably be automatically filled in with more current data.

The simplest solution I see is that Dan just didn't tell Fi that Aliyka was *not* always a phoenix, so this is what Fi thinks happened.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Dracora

Yeah, this probably is Aliyka. My best guess was that earlier in the comics the comic was based more off of Furcadia than off of the world Amber created. In the world Amber created the digo market probably doesn't exist, which means that beings can't buy their way into becoming a phoenix. They're either born phoenix or they're not. So, her comic beforehand became moot.

Dracora

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 21, 2008, 11:00:47 PM

The simplest solution I see is that Dan just didn't tell Fi that Aliyka was *not* always a phoenix, so this is what Fi thinks happened.

Has Fi met aliyka to know shes a phoenix in the first place?
*wonders*

Cogidubnus

Here's to wishing Amber luck on her journey.

I got a kick out of Aliyka giving the big darkness-guy a flower, also.

e_voyager

I agree that was pretty cure. mu guess is that when do you become a Phoenix  is a indies joke like when Mab talked about her time in the Fae kingdom.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Kuari

Ahh...  so Aliyka always offers peace first...  but if they refuse she goes HULKAMANIA!!!!!!!  RAWR!!!

Brunhidden

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

e_voyager

we really need a new hulk the old one has gotten well really old.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Mwa

Quote from: Sid on April 21, 2008, 08:41:00 PM
I'm with all the people above who totally love the third panel.

Quote from: Lucheek on April 21, 2008, 06:20:39 PM

Note the shackles in panel 4 ;)
She gave peace a chance. One chance. It didn't work out :P

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 21, 2008, 08:26:46 PM

I'd guess that this is just a Furcadia-related out-of-continuity joke that is currently being retconned since changing species/race should be extremely hard in the currently-established universe.

Edit to add: ...unless Amber pulls an OMG-twist like when she canonized the bit about Destania being in Twink Territory.
Well, a peace loving phoenix with the same markings as her also appears in #341, which I always assumed was her.
I'd say the comic was still in the furcadian universe back then, which we have quietly dropped out of by now, with the ensuing minor plot differences.
Authors of big series often do this, look at Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. (Which I'm currently methodically reading though, which shows up all the differences. ;) The first book and current book have only placenames in common. )

Ren Gaulen

The thing that was identified as a Death Knight looks neat. I only wonder where are its arms... Oh, wait, apparently it holds them behind its back. And the flower part is funny. Well, Aliyka sure is lucky to remain intact after offering a flower to a Death Knight (it just reminded me of a very depressing picture I've seen somewhere, which also involved a peace offering in form of a flower)...

Kuari

Why does that red crystal thing on the Death Knight make me think, "Hit the weak point for massive damage!"