04/04/08 [Hybrid #3]

Started by RobbieThe1st, April 04, 2008, 05:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Were-'Cubi alliance?  That's rather interesting.  The obvious thing is that they're both shapeshifters - so it's probably not the reason  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kuari

OK...  now what happens if you got a Cubi that's stronger then the Were?  What happens then?
Cubi is a dominant trait if its stronger then the other race....  but Were is a naturally dominant trait..

Which leads to another question.  Is Cubi technically a race?  Or just a trait that ends up overlapping over another race, making them TECHNICALLY of their non-cubi race, but counted as cubi because of their cubi traits?

Zedd

Take it as you will folks..And fluffy was punched to the edge

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2008, 05:04:47 AM
Were-'Cubi alliance?  That's rather interesting.  The obvious thing is that they're both shapeshifters - so it's probably not the reason  >:3
I figure it could be because a while back they were at war with each other, constantly fighting, yet neither side could actually *do* anything to the other side - If the 'Cubi attacked, the Weres switched  to human form, and thereby negated all the 'Cubi advantages(Probably, stripped of their power, a 'Cubi would be weaker than a being because he/she is always relying on Magic, instead of actual muscle force). And,if the Weres attacked, the 'Cubi are strong enough to remove any wounded member and heal him/her.
I figure that after a few hundred years of this, they forgot *why* they were fighting and became allies instead.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Cemalidor

Another case of "if you can't beat your enemy, team up with him"?  :mowmeep

Actually nice background info for a lurker like me. ^^

Ren Gaulen

The hybrid genetics in a fantasy world: meant to confuse you! :B Fluffy does not look happy about the fact that she has to explain all this stuff.

Hanii Puppy

the list of half-breeds/no half-breeds table is different between comic 1 and two o.o

edit to save making a post: AAAHH, thanks tape (below). I thought it was like which races were ultimately cross-breedable or non-cross-breedable

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on April 04, 2008, 06:24:51 AM
the list of half-breeds/no half-breeds table is different between comic 1 and two o.o
I think you'll find it's different for each race.  Last strip was the 'Cubi table, this one is the Were table.

Lucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on April 04, 2008, 07:19:18 AM
Who almost killed the weres?
I don't think we know.  What intrigues me is how Fluffy seems to be taking it so personally.

Brunhidden

my best guess- the list includes demons, fey, angels, and about a hojillion diffrent types of mythos

the mythos would probably have little reason or ability, being scattered and weres would pretty much be more of the same to them, not really like they compete or anything

demons, maybe, but they're more likely to enslave weres for their unusual abilities and then get pissed they're enslavement magic isn't working

angels would probably skip the attempt to enslave and just get right to 'pissed they wont listen to me' with an extra dose of 'i cant allow something i cant control to exist!'

fey probably would have finished the job right, assuming they weren't distracted by anything shiny.

thus- the angels probably did it
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Wanderer

I see now. These tables are "Race X that Fluffy's talking about can breed (in some fashion or another) with the races on the left, and not at all with the races on the right."

Chaos

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 04, 2008, 07:59:12 AM
my best guess- the list includes demons, fey, angels, and about a hojillion diffrent types of mythos

the mythos would probably have little reason or ability, being scattered and weres would pretty much be more of the same to them, not really like they compete or anything

demons, maybe, but they're more likely to enslave weres for their unusual abilities and then get pissed they're enslavement magic isn't working

angels would probably skip the attempt to enslave and just get right to 'pissed they wont listen to me' with an extra dose of 'i cant allow something i cant control to exist!'

fey probably would have finished the job right, assuming they weren't distracted by anything shiny.

thus- the angels probably did it

I can see why you left out the Mer... unless they had a great mer vs were-shark war...

Undead would be just as likely as anything else.

Insectis would also be just like the Mythos and the Undead. Possable, but unlikely.

Dragons seemed to have had some to do with the cubi in the past, maybe the alliance formed then?

I can't see phoenix (A or B) or beings taking to the field. Seems to preoccupied with the future.

Not certain why you didn't go through the full list there.

jo-shadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 04, 2008, 07:21:29 AM
I don't think we know.  What intrigues me is how Fluffy seems to be taking it so personally.
maybe fluffy's a were...  :eek

Alondro

I think the culprits were the C-gryphons!  Cuz... they were mad at being given only average grades... just straight C's, ya know... if they'd gotten F's they could've at least been the class clowns or the jocks or something.  But just C's.  And they decided to pick on the weres, just because...

It seemed like a good theory at the time.   :c
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nameless

I think the reason weres get along well with cubi is because both races often disguise themselves to hide their race from the general public (well, amongst beings, at any rate).  Not all weres and cubi do, but probably enough for it to be a good reason.

Seth C Triggs

Fluffy looks like s/he is about to pop a vein or something, heh heh...

This is very fascinating stuff in any event.

-Seth
BIBP Webcomic - bizarre and NSFW - http://www.bibp.com

Fuyudenki

Dragons seem unpopular, I'll wager they did it.  Like Kauri, I too am now wondering if the "were" genes actually overpower the "cubi" genes.

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 04, 2008, 05:20:42 AM
I figure it could be because a while back they were at war with each other, constantly fighting, yet neither side could actually *do* anything to the other...

Iono.  The cubi we've seen in action recently seem to favor physical attacks which fall under the B/P/S damage classes from everyone's favorite tabletop RPG.  I suspect a Fa'Lina fist, or an Aary/Aniz tentacle would make short work on even a magic-null human form, since we learned last thread that those abilities are inherent(shall we say, Ex?), not magical(Sp or Su).

The Fae, on the other hand, I think would get very annoyed by Weres.  But I agree, if it were them who went genociding, they would probably have finished the job... at least, if their attention spans held up.

Glad to see the cartoonist is feling better.

Kenji

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 04, 2008, 06:10:34 AM
The hybrid genetics in a fantasy world: meant to confuse you! :B Fluffy does not look happy about the fact that she has to explain all this stuff.

Maybe Fluffy just hates the idea of hanky panky.

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: Kenji on April 04, 2008, 11:18:53 AM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 04, 2008, 06:10:34 AM

Maybe Fluffy just hates the idea of hanky panky.

Considering her facial expression in the first page, I'd have to agree.

Goatmon

Quote from: Kuari on April 04, 2008, 05:17:36 AM
OK...  now what happens if you got a Cubi that's stronger then the Were?  What happens then?
Cubi is a dominant trait if its stronger then the other race....  but Were is a naturally dominant trait..

I'm guessing that, if the Cubi parent were the more powerful of the two, the child would take after the neutral form of the were parent but develop as a cubi.  But, from the sound of it, most children with any were parents tend to be weres themselves.  So, we're talking about a very rare combination of parents, as well as a rare result of said parents.  So... there's probably extremely few cubi with a were mom/dad, if any. 

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on April 04, 2008, 11:40:18 AM
Considering his facial expression in the first page, I'd have to agree.

Fluffy's a guy. 

Aleolus

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!  The were's are proof positive of that!

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: jo-shadow on April 04, 2008, 09:32:15 AM
could be, but the question is, a were-what?

terrycloth

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on April 04, 2008, 04:27:44 PM
Quote from: jo-shadow on April 04, 2008, 09:32:15 AM
could be, but the question is, a were-what?

A were-Havanese, my guess.  :3

Also, whoever up there said that they were sure Fluffy was a guy, the truth is we actually don't know.  "He" and "she" have both been used to describe it.   :rolleyes

Regardless I'm finding these hybrid pages quite fascinating so far.  And I was a genetics student, so it quite boggles the mind with possibilities, especially when magic is a part of it.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Wanderer

Quote from: Goatmon on April 04, 2008, 12:31:21 PM
QuoteConsidering his facial expression in the first page, I'd have to agree.

Fluffy's a guy. 
Not proven.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Kuari on April 04, 2008, 05:17:36 AM

You guys are really thinking too complex on this.  The Were is a dominant trait, not necessarily a powerful one.  If a Were has a child with a being or a Phoenix B, then you will likely end up with a being or Phoenix B looking child who is a were(since most Were are already indistinguishable from a being or Phoenix B).  If you have a Were having a child with a Cubi, then you will likely also have a Were that looks similar to their Were-parent that gets Cubi traits when they hit the right age.  Having the abilities of one, doesnt really negate the other since the Cubi traits hit at a much later age...where as other races tend to have their traits from birth.

Though really...its not likely all that common a pairing. Even on friendly terms, the Were are kind of xenophobes.

Fuyudenki

OK, so final word?  WereCubi, while not common, would be a BROKEN hybrid suitable only for Timmies and Mary Sues?

Nah.  Nothing's ever final here.  Not even when it makes it into the actual comic itself.(which is probably for the better.)

Amber Williams

Quote from: Volfram on April 04, 2008, 11:57:44 PM
OK, so final word?  WereCubi, while not common, would be a BROKEN hybrid suitable only for Timmies and Mary Sues?

Nah.  Nothing's ever final here.  Not even when it makes it into the actual comic itself.(which is probably for the better.)

It's not really all that broken.  Neither species is insanely powerful. Yeah, they have particular quirks that really make them useful...but they also have particular flaws that are exploitable if you know them. People seem to think that the Were's ability to null magic at them when in human form and the Cubi's shapeshifting gives them god-hax powers.  All it really takes to take them down would be one well-placed arrow.