01/12/08 [Abel 2 #1] - Faulty Logic

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, January 11, 2008, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Interesting start, I'll grant it that.

And yes, I've been there. There's always fifty different ways of resolving the issue that you think of 2 minutes too late to actually use. :-/

Abel has my sympathy, so far.

*damn you and your weird British date system, Llearch!  I thought this was a necro!  ~Love, Dam.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Dont worry...Sometimes some people cant all be saved Abel. People must die to let you be free.

Darkdragon

True.

Also, when something tragic happens, people do tend to get hung up about it. I also give Abel my sympathy.

computer nerd

:< Poor abel  well I hope thing don't get worse for him

M

I know the feeling. I tend to blame myself for a lot of things, even when they obviously aren't my fault.

:c Poor Abel.

Cogidubnus

The only way I see that this couldn't have happened, is if Abel hadn't gone through the forest that day...
Even so, still hardly his fault.

Also, early update is awesome. A very pleasant surprise.

Angel

...Wow.

I can't see how this is his fault. This was set into place before he was even born. Even if he had never run into Devin and Xander, even if Cindy had never died, he would have eventually become an incubus and this would've happened.

That being said, he has my sympathy. He's going through survivor's guilt, poor guy. :(
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sid

Actually, it's not exclusively British dating, I think... but dating standards always confused me, so I may be wrong.

And yeah, also (pleasantly) surprised by the early update.

Finally on-topic: Like the others, I feel for poor Abel :/ And he seems to be in shock, too... *gives him a hug* :(
:boogie

AnizInDisguise

Poor Abel, I should go comfort him.....

WhiteFire

Is this the first time that Able has narrated his story?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: WhiteFire on January 11, 2008, 10:41:36 PM
Is this the first time that Able has narrated his story?
I do believe so...

Chaos

The shame of it is, he will never answer that question. Of course it's his fault, there are 1001 ways he could have avoided it. Now here comes the other side. He is not at fault. Unless he had gained precog, there is no way that he would have been able to change what had happened. The what if game would be played out forever. Then comes the final bit, and it's what I say to my friends who laugh at me when I flinch at pictures of needles going into an arm, "Yeah, I know, but tell that to my subconscious!"

Nice Work, Amber. Looking forward to the rest.

Sno Wolf

Short answer: No, but...
Long answer: Yes, however...

I wonder how long he'll drive himself insane for.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Chaos on January 11, 2008, 11:37:27 PM
The shame of it is, he will never answer that question. Of course it's his fault, there are 1001 ways he could have avoided it. Now here comes the other side. He is not at fault. Unless he had gained precog, there is no way that he would have been able to change what had happened. The what if game would be played out forever. Then comes the final bit, and it's what I say to my friends who laugh at me when I flinch at pictures of needles going into an arm, "Yeah, I know, but tell that to my subconscious!"

Nice Work, Amber. Looking forward to the rest.

Oh, yes, he can answer that question. Abel is in no way at fault. "Cid" is. Cid lied. Cid hurt, tormented, and killed people that Abel knows. Abel didn't do any of those things. Abel just need to recognize that the responsibility lies with his father, not with him. Once his head realizes that it's Cid's fault and not his, say goodbye to "Could I have done something different" and say hello to "I'm going [censored] him!"

If someone gets shot, is it their fault they didn't duck?

BTW: I'm diabetic. I take four to five shots a day. Half of those are in the arm. Consciously, I know it will hurt. Subconsciously I know I've done it before and I will again. I'm not sure what the lesson is in that, but take how you will.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Aleolus

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.  Haven't read the new Abel story yet, will do that in a minute

rabid_fox

Someone could use a cup of tea.

Here's a point - extremely difficult thing to do there - the continuing the story issue, I mean. Picking it up right from where it left off is brave, but this has been effective. Smoothly done.

Oh dear.

Kayriel

Abel needs time to come to grips with what's just happened. The blood is still red, it's still wet and fresh, it hasn't even been an hour yet. The fact he's even able to consciously entertain complex thoughts, however misguided, is astounding. Everything his life was founded on, based on, everything he held dear, true, and took for granted, was revealed to be a lie and whatever remained was just swept out from under him in a torrent of violence.

He needs time. And cookies. And a hug.
<3 Abel

kaskar

Quote from: Sno Wolf on January 12, 2008, 12:38:02 AM
Short answer: No, but...
Long answer: Yes, however...

8) Abel is in a troubled state of mind. Maybe a little pondering  may help ...

8) Just Hanging Around ...

Joe3210

"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Goatmon

Eh.  I'm kind of losing interest in the story the way it's been going.  (Negative, but honest, criticism incoming)

Good page, awesome art, good narration.  The visuals aren't a problem at all; Hell, the new title page is my wallpaper.  I've just gotten bored with AS being one awful moment after another with nothing in between, especially since Aniz revealed himself.  Abel has pretty much cried and bled and little else for about twenty pages.  It's good for moving the story forward, but eventually you need some positive or neutral events in contrast to the negative stuff, or it becomes more of the same in contrast.

Nevertheless, I'm eager to see what happens next.  I'm sure the pacing will balance out a bit once he gets properly introduced to his new environment.   :)

Tapewolf

As far as I can see the only thing he could really have done which would make a difference was not attacking Aniz with the chair.  This would most likely have resulted in Hennya not dying, and a slightly more amiable split with May.

Quote from: Sno Wolf on January 12, 2008, 12:38:02 AM
Well he's not exactly sane in the present-day strip - blood now seems to give him flashbacks to Hennya's death, and he appears to be so afraid of losing friends that he refuses to make any.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Caswin

Quote from: Kayriel on January 12, 2008, 04:33:08 AMHe needs time. And cookies. And a hug.
I was going to say "actual closure."  Like, going through a multi-decade training montage, beating up Aniz and feeding him to Kria.

And, for good measure, also poisoning him first and not telling her, changing the course of history to not have Kria in it.  Not that he would have any reason to do that, but hey, I can dream.

...although then we wouldn't have Lorenda.  But we would have at least twenty and almost certainly more furres' worth of people who wouldn't have survived otherwise.

Oh, hey, a butterfly...

EDIT: On rereading the post, it turns out I misconstrued your original meaning by virtue of not reading closely enough at first.  My bad.  The Butterfurre Effect idea stands, though.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Aleolus

Wow, poor Abel.  I really feel for him at this point.

Curse you, Aniz!  Curse you to heck!

AndersW

I like the way that this strip seems to reference back to page 47, and him thinking it's his fault.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 12, 2008, 02:06:42 AM
Here's a point - extremely difficult thing to do there - the continuing the story issue, I mean. Picking it up right from where it left off is brave, but this has been effective. Smoothly done.

Did it? There's not enough detail yet to know. For all we know, it's 10 years later. Or 300. After all, it's not like Abel changed much - and his -clothes- are different...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 12, 2008, 12:16:15 PM
Did it? There's not enough detail yet to know. For all we know, it's 10 years later. Or 300. After all, it's not like Abel changed much - and his -clothes- are different...

If you're talking about the current AS strip, he's still bleeding.  Not in the cover, obviously, but the cover isn't strictly relevant to the story at this point.  Also the clothes on the cover were refined over many years, IIRC.

Pendolse

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 12, 2008, 02:06:42 AM

Someone could use a cup of tea.

It's only assumable that it's picked up right away.

For all we know, he could've been in there for days, maybe even years.

Cubi don't need to sleep and there might be a spell on the place that keeps it night.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 11, 2008, 07:37:36 PM
*damn you and your weird British date system, Llearch!  I thought this was a necro!  ~Love, Dam.

What, just because American's can't count up accurately is no reason the rest of us should suffer. ;-]

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Pendolse on January 12, 2008, 12:24:19 PM

Cubi don't need to sleep and there might be a spell on the place that keeps it night.

Adult 'Cubi with full control of their powers don't need to eat or sleep, true, but it's a gradual process. I'd guess the only reason Dan (who's shown no signs yet of not sleeping) could "live for three years on nothing but ale" so young was his active adventuring, with lots of opportunities to slurp up the right kinds of emotions. And remember, even hundreds of years later Abel still likes to eat and sleep semi-regularly. I'd be surprised if it was more than half an hour since Aniz walked out of the door at the end of part 1.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pendolse on January 12, 2008, 12:24:19 PM
It's only assumable that it's picked up right away.

I think it's the same evening.  After all, what purpose would it serve Fa'Lina to have Abel sitting there like a lemon for years on end?  And again, I would have thought if it was a day or more the blood would have darkened as it dried.

**EDIT**

Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 12, 2008, 01:21:17 PM
I'd guess the only reason Dan (who's shown no signs yet of not sleeping) could "live for three years on nothing but ale" so young was his active adventuring, with lots of opportunities to slurp up the right kinds of emotions.
I wonder if Dan's attack of insomnia when he went to make the coffee was his need to sleep starting to fade.  It's probably a gradual process rather than a sudden change.
Also, I think Dan's emotion source is the inn patrons rather than the adventuring job (which he quit), but aside from that, I agree.