12/10/07 [DMFA #852] - Rant-y

Started by Kajet, December 10, 2007, 02:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kajet

Sound and sage advice, while some things in life simply prevent you from work on something you want to do, Either do it or STFU about it.

Sadly I'm guilty of making excuses for leaving story projects do little more than gather mental dust in my mind but, (get this) I don't say anything about how I've "got this great idea" that I'm working on.

And I think I stole someone else's job of making new threads based on the comic...

Darkdragon

*Sigh*, It's so true. I keep telling myself, "I will write one decent work this summer" and I never get it done. I would spend the boring lecture times and idle travelling hours thinking on what I should write, just for me to forget it later and make it up again at a later date.

Time stops for nobody. Nobody obtains perfection on their first try. Get to work!

Sadly, I also need to follow my own advice. =.=

mwcain

Cvstos

I have a couple of ideas in this category, although one truly isn't ready to write.  Need a motivation for the characters.  Without that, there's no story.  The other one... well, it's finals week.  After finals, then I can do stuff.  Otherwise, only break I get is the occasional webcomic.  And now, back to the Software Design Document.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Turnsky

i hear ya, Amber, i hear ya.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

For people who have projects that are or were stalled on some kind of go-ahead from Amber, this strip could be taken in very much the wrong way >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 10, 2007, 06:33:21 AM
For people who have projects that are or were stalled on some kind of go-ahead from Amber, this strip could be taken in very much the wrong way >:3

xD

Other than that, I fully agree with the rant, and I freely admit that I'm also easily caught in the "Wow, this is going to be awesome... once I do it... some day..." mood. Recently, things have been a bit better, but before that... yeah.
:boogie

Netrogo

Amber is so right. When I get home I'm going to get off my ass and get started writing my film scripts 8)
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, and I'm gonna start doing some of my projects.

... tomorrow, first thing.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reaver225

I have my story.
I'm writing a draft copy.
To publish one day?

Dannysaysnoo

My story has been barely written, and even then, all the writing is done in my mind.

Alondro

It is very hard to get things moving.  I know this from personal experience.  

There was my first little published childrens book, the animation company (IRS forms + grant forms + non-profit paperwork = hell).

Often people get pie in the sky ideas and never really take into consideration just what is involved.  The only reason I'm still able to hang onto my animation company work is because I knew from the get-go it was going to be rough.

On that note, I still want to enslave Amber for something in my company.   >:3

There's money involved, Amber.  Hundreds of dollars that could allllll be for youuuuuu.  *waves stack of bills in front of Amber*

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

I have two five page comics, 15 more pages of Cefk part one, a knock off peeps Christmas special, that looks like it won't be completed until February, two fan fictions and a fan comic that I will never get around to working on... Thee last two weeks I've been working on a two minute cartoon which I spent more than 14 hours on despite it's crude appearance, and a 1700 word essay, due on the the 13th, of which over the course of 9-12hrs throughout the last two weeks and I've only completed 1575, I have an 800 word essay that I have to work on TODAY that will be due at 4pm, and if anyone  cares I ahave over 300 pages of comics linked below, a fanfiction.net account with a handful of stories that I haven't deleted and a final exam to study for on Wendsday.

see you after the 14th.         
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

rabid_fox

Terrible advice. What the hell am I supposed to do in old age if I don't fill my life up with regrets to be bitter about?

Oh dear.

Amber Williams

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 10, 2007, 11:26:39 AM

Terrible advice. What the hell am I supposed to do in old age if I don't fill my life up with regrets to be bitter about?

Grumble about how everything was so much better when you were young? :3

rabid_fox

That's for about...35-41, then I'm going to buy a rifle and sit on the porch of my house, taking pot shots at the sunset and quietly laughing.

No, old age is for whiskey and bitterness. They'll call me Crazy Old Diamondeyes.

Oh dear.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 10, 2007, 11:41:45 AM

Grumble how you walked fifteen miles barefoot in the snow in order to take a crap?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Brunhidden

i feel guilty, reading a rant like that gives me the paranoid feeling it was about me.... because im just plain paranoid

but then again just yesterday i was working on the only project of size that i really had going, so at least two thirds of the guilt just dropped away like a daytime weight loss infomercial
Quote from: Turnsky on December 10, 2007, 11:56:29 AM

Grumble how you walked fifteen miles barefoot in the snow in order to take a crap?  >:3

15 miles? screw that! ill crap on the back yard thankyouverymuch
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

rt

Ahh to have so much inspriation sounds nice, but i guess without the motivation / follow through / whatever you want to call it, all the inspration in the world isn't worth much

Madmann135

In my day I had to walk 10 miles up hill to AND from school then walk 20 miles down hill before I could go to bed... Every Day.
After the discovery of horses, then bicycles and finally cars those trips got shorter and shorter.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Caswin

I've taken to writing down every little thing that comes into my head.  Something good is bound to come out.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Sunblink

Good advice. I've had loads of fantastic ideas for fanfics and comics and whatnot, but I've always let them peter out of my head before I could actually get started on them, either because I couldn't figure out what to do with them, or that I never finished the plot. Unfortunately, though, since most of my work when I was much younger and just starting to write was primarily improvisational and thus really really crappy, so I've been trying to avoid that. Thus it takes me much longer to get started on work than I would like because I always write down the individual chapter outlines so I can comb over them and encounter problems and errors before publication. Otherwise I'd be coming across plot-holes and retcon left and right, or end up with something really unsatisfactory and choppy.

What really frustrates me is when I run across a project which I put a lot of effort and devotion into, then never get started on it. It sucks... really sucks, especially when I know the idea is good, but I know I'll end up hating it if I force myself to work when I have no enthusiasm for the project. It's also why I hate writing assignments I don't like for school and why I don't like deadlines.

Kudos to everyone who's churned out something of quality before a deadline.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Kenji

I'm still waiting on the weather report. :<

Angel

...I think there are at least twelve people on this board who needed this kick in the pants, and will now start their brainchild comic .

Myself included.

I've been wanting to do my big comic idea for a couple years now, but I'm constantly putting it off because I'm "not that great an artist" or because I "have no idea how to make a web-page." Every time I think about it, excuse after excuse pops up. Or worse, I get distracted by something else (schoolwork seens to be a primary, if necessary offender). I even have a friend who told me he'd scan stuff for me, but I said no for too long, and he's going to college in a few weeks.

But, as of today, screw all that. I'll draw up a few pages, even if I can't scan them yet. Even if I'm in college by the time I actually get my own webpage, at least I'll have the comic all drawn.

Good luck to all others who are now motivated.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Alondro

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 10, 2007, 02:15:56 PM

In my day I had to walk 10 miles up hill to AND from school then walk 20 miles down hill before I could go to bed... Every Day.
After the discovery of horses, then bicycles and finally cars those trips got shorter and shorter.

Bah!  In MY day, we had to walk on our hands 100 miles back and forth, cuz legs hadn't been invented yet!   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Alondro on December 10, 2007, 04:21:27 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on December 10, 2007, 02:15:56 PM

Bah!  In MY day, we had to walk on our hands 100 miles back and forth, cuz legs hadn't been invented yet!   :B

BAAAAAAH! In my day, my dad made us eat a cold lump of poison before we went to work for 28 straight hours!

Goatmon

I actually do have a comic project in the works.  But I suck ass at art.  I mean, I could get better at it, but I'm a long ways off from having good enough skill at it to do it myself and not look like total ass.

The only people I've spoken to who have shown any interest in doing the art are either too busy to do it, or are a bit flaky and really unreliable to get anything done.  It's rather obnoxious. :x

Kenji

Quote from: Goatmon on December 10, 2007, 05:40:34 PM
I actually do have a comic project in the works.  But I suck ass at art.  I mean, I could get better at it, but I'm a long ways off from having good enough skill at it to do it myself and not look like total ass. 

The only people I've spoken to who have shown any interest in doing the art are either too busy to do it, or are a bit flaky and really unreliable to get anything done.  It's rather obnoxious. :x

Make em a key player. Then maybe they'll be motivated. :B

Goatmon

That's....not a bad idea.  I'll have to think on that.  I've been chatting with Keaton about the project, I'll see if I can't find ways to motivate her.

Or I could just threaten her with a crowbar.