10/17/07 [DMFA #833] - Regrets

Started by AndersW, October 16, 2007, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

Some insight into Mab's mind.

superluser

I suppose you would probably make sure to eliminate regrets before deciding to end it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Caswin

*Reads news*

<- Happy boy. *Just happens to have been thinking about Demo for some reason recently*

...and I just noticed that the heading for the Censorship Pandas is spelled "Adop a Censor."  Presumably for like the last four years.  Huh.

Regarding the comic, where's the creepiness?  Am I missing something blatantly creepy?  I just watched most of Nosferatu, is that even remotely relevant?  Why did I bring it up, again?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: Caswin on October 16, 2007, 11:19:01 PMRegarding the comic, where's the creepiness?  Am I missing something blatantly creepy?  I just watched most of Nosferatu, is that even remotely relevant?  Why did I bring it up, again?

Not creepy as in ``I'm wearing rubber finger extensions,'' but creepy as in ``Mab doesn't have any emotions!''

Edit: Also, Zinn is awesome.

Psaakyrn

On second thought, linear can't refer to time, since none of this conversations would make sense if time is a factor. However... we've seen a "young mab", while she clearly references the death of linears in her lifespan. Conclusion: In the "linear" world she's definitively playing a role. Question: What was her previous role? What's the relationship of that role and Fa'Lina?
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Psaakyrn on October 16, 2007, 11:28:10 PM
What's the relationship of that role and Fa'Lina?

Why does everything have to relate to Fa'Lina?
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Amber Williams

Kenji

Caswin

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 16, 2007, 11:30:08 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on October 16, 2007, 11:28:10 PM
What's the relationship of that role and Fa'Lina?
In this case, their shared use of puppetry.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

DarkAudit

xHaZxMaTx

Amber must be good at bowling...

nikename2

Eh so she has no regrets, in a way thats a good thing because if she did have some she'd probably become depressed dwelling on "what could have been", especially when you consider what her age probably is, who knows how many friends she's had to watch be taken by the cold hand of death while time marches on for her.  :.

Madmann135

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 16, 2007, 11:31:28 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on October 16, 2007, 11:30:08 PM

Boobs? :U

I think Amber is channeling her masculinity.  That's a male's answer. 
Boobs are the answer to 40% of ALL questions. 
That's a big number considering Yes gets a whopping 25%, no gets a whopping 20%, maybe gets a staggering 10% and the final 5% is everything else.
[I made up those numbers just for fun]

Rose is another character that can't be simply bumped off now that she has a name.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Caswin

Quote from: superluser on October 16, 2007, 11:23:55 PM
Quote from: Caswin on October 16, 2007, 11:19:01 PMRegarding the comic, where's the creepiness?  Am I missing something blatantly creepy?  I just watched most of Nosferatu, is that even remotely relevant?  Why did I bring it up, again?

Not creepy as in ``I'm wearing rubber finger extensions,'' but creepy as in ``Mab doesn't have any emotions!''

Edit: Also, Zinn is awesome.
As I expected: Nosferatu is irrelevant to this comic! (Although maybe not to Zinn...  :kruger)

Mab doesn't have emotions?  Hm.  Still not (not) seeing it.
Yap yap.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Madmann135 on October 16, 2007, 11:38:58 PM
Rose is another character that can't be simply bumped off now that she has a name.

How many redshirts got bumped off? They weren't credited as just "Ensign". They were always "Ensign Whatshisname". A name is not a safety net.

Psaakyrn

Rithm Alfortele

You know, I just thought of something.

What if "linear" has to do with life and death instead of time?

I mean, Fae reincarnate, sorta.

So, maybe Mab calls them linears because they only die once?

Zedd

:erk Just baffled how it can be anyhow

Zorro

What is another Century and another 500 dead people that you used to know?  There are people that you know right now that are going to die too so why get worked up about it?

Kind of like having an aquarium, when fish die and they will you just get a new one and flush the old one.

RobbieThe1st

Well, I see no reason that Mab should have any regrets, ever. Why? Think about it:
She can move back and forth through time, and so anything she regrets, she can simply go back and redo it until she has either found out what happens at the end of any particular decision path, and stick with what ever path she likes. :p

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

King Of Hearts

Regrets... I have a few, but then again too few too mention. And now as tears subside, I find it all so amusing... to think, I did all that, and may I say, not in a shy way. Oh no... Oh no not me... I did it my~ WAY~

I have that song playing when i read the strip. Interesting coincidence...

Chaos

It seems that the fey have access to other dimentions, as evidenced by humans existing in "other realms" and other such quotes through the comic. Thus, beyond the Fey's longevity, they would also have access to hopping into other dimentions on different time streams, dimensional time shifting, like on-demand reality. Hence the linears. I mean, how can you treat a creature like anything other then disadvantaged when they have the temporal equivalent of one eye and no depth perception.

"oh, poor baby, you live life second by second and have to wait for stuff. How boring it must be."

That brings something interesting up. Motivation of death for an immortal. When I've always thought about it, the first thing that has come to my mind is that there is only one true challenge to being immortal. Boredom. Really, you live forever and you will go through phases, just like any living thing. There will be the coming to terms with mortality, as Mab brings up. There will be periods of "I miss my friends" but, while you can't replace them, you can move on and come to terms. Thus mortality shouldn't be the largest threat to cause a fey death. I think that the concept of being bored would be higher on their list of threats. "Oh, go ahead and torture me, but stop talking about your godamn grandma and the cookies she used to make!"

Izkata

Chaos almost certainly has that right on.

Remember, ward of Cubi by quoting detailed laws!

(Hrm..  my comparison of Mab and Trace Gemini in that other thread just got another boost.  In one of the episodes, she said that, "When you live as long as my people, you get bored really, really easily.")

Grenn

Well, Fae can live forever if they so choose I do believe. No matter their age, I bet they look however young they want for their entire existance. Mab could be 10,000 and look 25 the whole time if she wanted :p

Regrets? Nah. C'mon now, Fae can do anything :p

Timothy

If you always do exactly what you wanna do and say exactly what you wanna say no matter the consequences then you don't have regrets.

Happy Mab ... and thank god she is good not evil else it would cause alota regret for the people near her.  :mwaha
*If in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout*

Magic

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ink on October 17, 2007, 05:17:46 AM
"Regret is overrated."
It can be the difference between good and evil.  Of course I dare say you'd say that 'good' is overrated too  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Regal

Quote from: superluser on October 16, 2007, 11:23:55 PM

She has happiness and anger. We've seen those.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Izkata on October 17, 2007, 02:33:55 AM
Chaos almost certainly has that right on.

Remember, ward of Cubi by quoting detailed laws!

(Hrm..  my comparison of Mab and Trace Gemini in that other thread just got another boost.  In one of the episodes, she said that, "When you live as long as my people, you get bored really, really easily.")

Which is why forgetfulness is benificial to one who is immortal: hard to be bored when almost everything is new.

See example: http://missmab.com/Demo/demon.php (Nicky)

superluser

Quote from: Regal on October 17, 2007, 06:09:22 AMShe has happiness and anger. We've seen those.

``I'm not sure if this is whimsy or just plain creepy''

So you're voting whimsy?