2007-9-2 [814] - Jokes are never as funny the second time around

Started by stiletto, September 02, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on September 04, 2007, 05:37:19 AM
I just think that the concept that Fa'Lina has cast some sort of contraceptive spell over all of SAIA could answer one question at the cost of raising hundreds of others with highly improbable solutions.  This solution just doesn't seem to fit Amber's writing style.

There is some truth in that, but leaving aside the Destania thing, there must be some way of ensuring that SAIA isn't overflowing with 'Cubi, and although I'll admit it has flaws magic seemed to me to be the most elegant solution.

To be honest I always figured that the 'dark matter' thing was the Big Bang's version of epicycles, but for heaven's sake, don't let this devolve into a cosmology thread  :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

RobbieThe1st

Well, first lets look over what we *do* know:
1. 'Cubi can have children together(Or do we know this? Dan has one Being parent, and so does Abel. Aaryanna and Fa'lina we do not know about. )
2. 'Cubi at SAIA are expected, at-least generally, to 'do it' with each other, which is why the beds are there(as Abel basically explained).
3. Long term magic *may* have effects in some cases, as shown by Kria.

I see two possible options here:
A. Magic.
Some sort of school-tied spell, which affects 'Cubi only in the school. It must not cause effects.
Perhaps you have a spell which is inactive most of the time, and only when needed it activates, thus it would only be on for a few hours at most, and so you wouldn't have long-term spell effects.

or B.
Perhaps 'Cubi cannot reproduce amongst themselves?
This would mean that 'Cubi could do whatever they want with each other with no fear of pregnancy, and only when being with a Being(or other compatible species), then the 'Cubi would have offspring.
This would seem to fit. What do you guys think?

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 04, 2007, 07:39:43 AM
or B.
This would mean that 'Cubi could do whatever they want with each other with no fear of pregnancy, and only when being with a Being(or other compatible species), then the 'Cubi would have offspring.

It's an interesting idea and I had considered that, but Aary (for example) was brought up among 'Cubi, and that seems to be the norm - Dan, Abel and a few others being exceptions.

If the only way 'Cubi could reproduce was with a Being, that would mean that every 'Cubi would have a Being parent, and you'd see a lot more Being sympathisers among them than there seem to be.

Kasarn

/digs
Quotehttp://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2896.htm#ref24
Amber Panyko on 01-21-2006 01:23 AM:
[...] I will also say that Fa'Lina was born to two cubi parents.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2007, 07:53:18 AM
or B.

It's an interesting idea and I had considered that, but Aary (for example) was brought up among 'Cubi, and that seems to be the norm - Dan, Abel and a few others being exceptions.

If the only way 'Cubi could reproduce was with a Being, that would mean that every 'Cubi would have a Being parent, and you'd see a lot more Being sympathisers among them than there seem to be.
Well, Edward knew Destinia was a 'Cubi, and its never been said that Aary has two 'Cubi parents, and for all we know, her mother and father were in a 'Cubi populated area.
I am taking the fact that there is no such information in the cast page, as a good reason to think the idea through. Unlike the other theory, this has more of an Amber feel to it...

With your second point, theres only 30,000 of them compared to how many million Beings?
Also, the problem with a lot of these theories is the lack of evidence one way or another, we have only seen a handful of characters, and that really isn't good enough evidence to base a theory on.

Quote from: Kazwuff on September 04, 2007, 07:53:52 AM
/digs
This does present an problem with my theory, although it could, like clan-creation, be a matter of power.

edit:
Yes I am grasping at straws, but aren't we all?

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 04, 2007, 08:10:21 AM
With your second point, theres only 30,000 of them compared to how many million Beings?
Also, the problem with a lot of these theories is the lack of evidence one way or another, we have only seen a handful of characters, and that really isn't good enough evidence to base a theory on.

True.  I don't know how many million Beings there are, Amber hasn't said, although it would be interesting to know.  To be frank this whole 'Cubi reproduction thing has dragged on longer than I expected - it's in danger of changing the thread topic which wasn't my intention, so personally I'm going to call it quits, I think, unless one of the mods wants to spool it off into its own thread.

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 03, 2007, 07:21:39 PM
And then there's the quivery-lipped last panel. How is Dan going to react? Angrily deny everything? Have an emotional eruption (comparable to Mount St. Helens)? Run away (maybe to confront Alexsi)? Keel over?

Indeed, an "Alexsi-why-didn't-you-tell-me-that-Mom-is-a-psycho" conversation would be quite interesting to see, although I'm not sure Dan is really in the appropriate frame of mind to pull that off.

To be honest I think a breakdown is more likely.  That then raises the question of how Abel is going to react if he finds that Dan has snapped (again) since ultimately he revealed it even though he knew it would not be fun for Dan.  Can you say 'guilt trip'?

Alondro

Meh, all the speculation about why the Cubi aren't humping constantly in the school is pointless.  It's as simple as Amber not wanting to have to change the rating on her comic to include all that.  Cuz once you open that can of worms, there's no going back! 

Next thing you know the comic ends up being constantly featured on fchan.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

Aridas

besides, i'm not sure any official source ANYWHERE has said that cubi are sex maniacs.

AnizInDisguise

You know, I'm not all that surprised about Destania, what surprised me more is that Fa'lina seems to be a much more benevolent person than I had thought.

WhiteFire

Quote from: Kazwuff on September 04, 2007, 07:53:52 AM
/digs

You just shot one of my favorite pet theories squarely in the head.  :cry

Alondro

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 04, 2007, 10:37:26 AM
besides, i'm not sure any official source ANYWHERE has said that cubi are sex maniacs.

*Charline quotes as an official source!*  We are.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on September 04, 2007, 12:43:26 PM

At the risk of prolonging that debate, it doesn't really matter whether they are sex maniacs or not in the conventional (Being/human) sense - the mere fact that there are lots of them in one place over a span of 300 years apiece is going to skew the numbers heavily in their favour compared to a more normal setting.

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 04, 2007, 11:55:28 AM
You just shot one of my favorite pet theories squarely in the head.  :cry
There there, I'll buy you a new one...

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on September 04, 2007, 12:43:26 PM

Dont bring me in this! :U

Sajoli

I doubt Amber has thought about the whole birth control problem. I wouldn't have were I the author, and if I were to read this topic after not thinking about it, I'd probably just say, "$%#@! Forget it, let them theorize!" ...or something along those lines.
I dunno, maybe Fa'lina had all of them experience a period of being pregnant at the beginning of their term, just to teach them that it's tough and they shouldnt do it?
Blargh, no idea, must go now, laugh at my stupid idea.  :cry

superluser

Quote from: Sajoli on September 04, 2007, 01:51:34 PMI dunno, maybe Fa'lina had all of them experience a period of being pregnant at the beginning of their term, just to teach them that it's tough and they shouldnt do it?

Flour babies.  We know how well they work.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fuyudenki

Quote from: superluser on September 04, 2007, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: Sajoli on September 04, 2007, 01:51:34 PMI dunno, maybe Fa'lina had all of them experience a period of being pregnant at the beginning of their term, just to teach them that it's tough and they shouldnt do it?

Flour babies.  We know how well they work.

You just reinforced my desire to go make chocolate-chip gingerbread cookies, I hope you know.

Maybe I should go ahead and do it...
[addendum]I can smell them already, and I haven't even entered the kitchen![/addendum]

Caswin

Quote from: Xeksue on September 03, 2007, 11:40:16 PMI think he'd be more angry with his mom then Fa'lina if he does go down the "reckoning" path.
Honestly?  I just got that from the Silver Surfer cartoon. :U
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Amber Williams

There is no all-field magic that prevents a Cubi from getting pregnant at SAIA. (While there is types of magical contraceptives, they are up to the individuals to place on themselves)   However there is an auto-expulsion policy that is zero tolerance enforced.

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 04, 2007, 02:45:30 PM
There is no all-field magic that prevents a Cubi from getting pregnant at SAIA. (While there is types of magical contraceptives, they are up to the individuals to place on themselves)   However there is an auto-expulsion policy that is zero tolerance enforced.
Would explain SOME of the theories apon mine,Tapes and Charles end of stuff...

Angel

...So that's why he took it in stride.

I think he needs a hug. From someone non-evil.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 04, 2007, 02:45:30 PM

Cool.  Thanks for sorting that out, now maybe we can get back to discussing the strip itself again  >:3

Quote from: Black_angel on September 04, 2007, 03:14:21 PM
I think he needs a hug. From someone non-evil.

Definitely.  I don't know about anyone else, but personally I think this is one of the most gut-wrenching strips I've seen in the main DMFA series.

multani82

well is not EVERYDAY your told your mother was so evil that even OTHER cubi objected to her methods. Yeah he's going to need some MAJOR therapy for this hehe  >:3

WhiteFire

Quote from: multani82 on September 04, 2007, 03:23:31 PM
well is not EVERYDAY your told your mother was so evil that even OTHER cubi objected to her methods. Yeah he's going to need some MAJOR therapy for this hehe  >:3

Sounds like a job for Delna. :)

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 04, 2007, 07:53:18 AM
or B.

You'd think so.  It's hard to say.  But then again, how many Cubi have we really seen in much light?  We have Dan, Abel, Destania, Fa'Lina, Arryania (SP?), Aniz...  who else is there that we've really seen?

Out of that list, 2/6 (or 1/3) seem to be among the type that aren't fond of slaughtering the innocent.  That's a significant fraction.

Caswin

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 04:05:26 PMYou'd think so.  It's hard to say.  But then again, how many Cubi have we really seen in much light?  We have Dan, Abel, Destania, Fa'Lina, Arryania (SP?), Aniz...  who else is there that we've really seen?

Out of that list, 2/6 (or 1/3) seem to be among the type that aren't fond of slaughtering the innocent.  That's a significant fraction.
Good point.  I think it's partially a matter of the overall reputation of 'cubi (in this universe as well as most others), SAIA, y'know, having classes devoted to the stuff, and Abel's admission that most 'cubi are "jerks" (by which I'd guess he means evil and so forth).

Well, that, and on the flip side, two thirds of the 'cubi you listed aren't exactly hesitant to slaughter the innocent.  Not an appealing fraction.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

terrycloth

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 04:05:26 PMOut of that list, 2/6 (or 1/3) seem to be among the type that aren't fond of slaughtering the innocent.  That's a significant fraction.

And it's not just cubi... look at Lorenda, who *does* still eat beings but only 'bad' ones. The times, they are a'changin'. :B

Psy-Kosh

Am I the only one, incidentally, that seems to find it odd that (near as I can make out) Fa'lina is fine with consuming souls, but draws the line at torturing kids?

What I mean is this: In a world in which eternal souls/afterlives/etc demonstratably exist, I would imagine the destruction of a soul to be a far greater evil than, well, most anything else.

EDIT: And yeah, Dan's expresion is definately a "my entire world is ending" thing.

Zedd

Okay wiki wiku freaks...Lets get this uploaded now..Where behind updates!

Goatmon

Quote from: Caswin on September 04, 2007, 04:46:39 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 04:05:26 PMYou'd think so.  It's hard to say.  But then again, how many Cubi have we really seen in much light?  We have Dan, Abel, Destania, Fa'Lina, Arryania (SP?), Aniz...  who else is there that we've really seen?

Good point.  I think it's partially a matter of the overall reputation of 'cubi (in this universe as well as most others), SAIA, y'know, having classes devoted to the stuff, and Abel's admission that most 'cubi are "jerks" (by which I'd guess he means evil and so forth).

Well, that, and on the flip side, two thirds of the 'cubi you listed aren't exactly hesitant to slaughter the innocent.  Not an appealing fraction.

Well, they DO feed off of mortals.  And the ones that feed off of energies specific to human suffering really don't have many options.  When you have the power to do something, and the consequences are insignificant in the long run, and you have centuries of time to come to terms with this, it's not surprising that many will decide to take the less noble route.