2007-9-2 [814] - Jokes are never as funny the second time around

Started by stiletto, September 02, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiletto

That look on Dan's face in the last panel.... it really seals the deal.

superluser

I don't get why Dan would be so shocked about that.  After all, if he thinks that all `cubi are evil, then that should fit right into his worldview.  Also, I'm not getting why Dan presumes that Abel is lying, but that Fi is not.  But all in all, a fine comic.

And while I'm here, what happened to the clan marking on Fi?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

stiletto

Hey, whoa, it's gone. Probably the same place Aniz's wedding ring went for a short while. Hit refresh in a day or so, it'll be back.

And judging on Dan's bias, he's probably never really thought of his mother as a cubi cubi, just someone who happens to unimportantly be a cubi.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: superluser on September 02, 2007, 11:14:51 PMI don't get why Dan would be so shocked about that.    After all, if he thinks that all `cubi are evil, then that should fit right into his worldview.
Well if that's the case, why doesn't he think the same thing about himself?  Probably the same reason he doesn't think that about his mom. 

Quote from: superluser on September 02, 2007, 11:14:51 PMAlso, I'm not getting why Dan presumes that Abel is lying, but that Fi is not.
Because Abel is a 'Cubi, which makes him evil, and evil people lie. :P  'Sides, it's 2-for-2.

Zedd

Ah what a teacher indeed...Heh..I do thing it will be delightful see if Aary can keep with the same and familer habbit. And note...What a priceless look to realize your mum is a very very bad girl. >:3

nikename2

For what it's worth it's better he accepted the truth from Fi rather then Abel. Thus allowing him to retain his manliness.  :U

techmaster-glitch

Heh heh heh...now we all see how wrong we were earlier about the reason behind Dan's initial reaction, or lack thereof, to Abel's rant about Dee.

I decided to dig up all the old stuff for the heck of it, so we can all do some cross-referenceing with our old assumptions, and laugh at them. I know it's long and alot, that's why the "..." are whole blocks of unneccessary text I deleted :B

Quote from: Psaakyrn on August 27, 2007, 04:10:10 AM
So.... It get more confusing as ever... but it seems Dan is smarter than he looks.

Notes:
Judging from his lack of reaction, he probably already know all this. (and from said book)[/u]

Quote from: je.saist on August 27, 2007, 04:12:31 AM
Dan has always been smarter than he let on. Keep in mind how long he lasted as an adventurer, and his fight against Dark Pegasus. [/u]

"It takes a smart fur to play dumb."

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 27, 2007, 04:40:30 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on August 27, 2007, 04:10:10 AM
How did Edward manage to tame such a beast?
Abel's reaction to the fact that Dan is only mildly perturbed should be interesting to see.  I've always had a suspicion that Dan's goofiness is mostly just a front and it's starting to look that way.[/u]

Maybe it was that book which prompted the question?

Quote from: MT Hazard on August 27, 2007, 05:00:10 AM

Dan's reaction does seem a little off, he freaks out when he finds out his friend is gay (and fancies him) but doesn't bat an eyelid when told his mother is everything he fought against as an adventurer (and perhaps fears becoming himself). Depends on his method of rationalising  I guess.[/u]

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 27, 2007, 05:32:41 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on August 27, 2007, 05:00:10 AM
Dan's reaction does seem a little off, he freaks out when he finds out his friend is gay (and fancies him) but doesn't bat an eyelid when told his mother is everything he fought against as an adventurer (and perhaps fears becoming himself). Depends on his method of rationalising  I guess.

To me his lack of reaction over his mother being everything he hates says that he must have guessed long ago.  "The only thing I ever inherited from my mom was her wings, and that doesn't make me a ['cubi]"  As I said once before, that line makes me think that he was fully aware his mother was a Creature generally held to be evil, and that he had hoped/deluded himself that he wasn't going to inherit her less desirable aspects.

He might also have hoped that she had changed, which could conceivably occur a'la Catastrophe Theory, where something suddenly changes state completely after a long period of slow, almost undetectable change.

Assuming she hasn't flipped polarity and become good-with-evil-tendencies, what is curious is that she hasn't instilled Dan with a sense of evil, but she has done a pretty decent job on Alexsi, IMHO (who didn't even have the heart to tell Dan that his mother was still alive by the looks).
[/u]

Quote from: Turnsky on August 27, 2007, 05:55:44 AM
Abel's reaction to the fact that Dan is only mildly perturbed should be interesting to see.  I've always had a suspicion that Dan's goofiness is mostly just a front and it's starting to look that way.

Maybe it was that book which prompted the question?
well, Dan didn't get to be a good adventurer just by being 'goofy' i suspect that he has a dead serious side, lurking beneath the overall veneer of Dan's outward personality.[/u]

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 27, 2007, 06:03:00 AM
well, Dan didn't get to be a good adventurer just by being 'goofy' i suspect that he has a dead serious side, lurking beneath the overall veneer of Dan's outward personality.

Exactly.  We've even seen it come up a few times, yet it's surprising how many people think he's simply an idiot.

I wonder if Alexsi and Pyro are still watching?

Quote from: Turnsky on August 27, 2007, 06:08:14 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 27, 2007, 06:03:00 AM
well, Dan didn't get to be a good adventurer just by being 'goofy' i suspect that he has a dead serious side, lurking beneath the overall veneer of Dan's outward personality.

Exactly.  We've even seen it come up a few times, yet it's surprising how many people think he's simply an idiot.

I wonder if Alexsi and Pyro are still watching?

he's prolly relaxed and aloof when he's not "on the clock" as it were, we all wear masks, Dan's adventuring professionalism is prolly gathering dust somewhere, so to speak.
I reckon that the whole 'cubi deal seems like one big Adventure to Dan, and that might cater to his nature, as well.
[/u]

Quote from: Black_angel on August 27, 2007, 12:54:50 PM
Abel go boom.

The fact that Dan took this in stride bothers me in ways I can't explain. But I'm not too surprised about Destania, seeing as Cyra-clan has a pain affinity. (Thank you, Dr. Ink.)[/u]

Madmann135

That's probably the first time We saw Dan's truly horrified/stunned face.

Though one would ask some simple questions.  (they are in there somewhere... I think)
Destania was a good mother to Dan and Alexsi, to the point in teaching them how to handle themselves in combat and such.  Alexsi treats Destania as her mother and not a step mother.  Destania sees Alexsi as her daughter, as if she gave birth to her (would like to see Alexsi with Cubi wings).

Though what Fi just said brings one question to mind...
How was Edward able to tame such a beast as SAIA's Destania?  :mowdizzy
Or was it even Edward that tamed Destania, it could have been Dan...

I'm not defending Destania but I will say this, Amber does know how to make complex characters.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Sajoli

Well, there you go. Dan is just a simple adventurer who won't think the "unthinkable" about his friends/family.
I absolutely LOVE how we all thought that he was being serious and mature and stuff. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
I also can't wait to find out what happened to Jyrass. (I'd nearly forgotten about him :P)

Zedd

Ah the simple words from the creation of paper and ink could quote the truth that thickheaded former adventurer. I see alot things in the fututre will haunt him more than needed someday.  :mwaha

superluser

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 12:00:34 AMI'm not defending Destania but I will say this, Amber does know how to make complex characters.

Perhaps, but for the past 100 or so strips, Dan seems to have been growing less robust.

Turnsky

well, no Jy, but we can definitely calculate the precise moment when all the fuses in Dan's brain just blew.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Manawolf

She was Fi, she WAS.  Remember, she left that life behind, and for good reasons.  You start to give a damn about the lives of others when one of them happens to have come out of you.

Turnsky

Quote from: Manawolf on September 03, 2007, 02:41:34 AM
She was Fi, she WAS.  Remember, she left that life behind, and for good reasons.  You start to give a damn about the lives of others when one of them happens to have come out of you.

and for whatever reason, she teamed up with a pink-haired ferret and is planning dragoncide with 'im.

Castle Pokemetroid

Turnsky

perhaps he has a rather painful memory of 'er. considering Dan's the complete opposite of Dee's aparrent personality.. at least what we've seen, however.

MT Hazard

Did anyone mention the 'little hands' comic strip to explain Dest's sudden change of viewpoint? Vol 299 for those who want to quote it.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

superluser

We do have Abel freaking out to the mention of Destania in the main arc and an ominous mention of an unnamed `she' in Abel's arc.  And then Abel's Story is coming late this week, allowing us to get more of an idea that Destania is evil before the Abel strip.  Coincidence?  I'd try to convince Amber to claim that it isn't.

Though I still think that Abel describes Destania as chaotic evil, while the Destania we've seen is more neutral evil.

Mock AV

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 12:00:34 AMHow was Edward able to tame such a beast as SAIA's Destania?
Theoretical Answer: He didn't, Evil people can fall in love just like everyone else can.

Turnsky

Quote from: Mock AV on September 03, 2007, 03:47:46 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 12:00:34 AMHow was Edward able to tame such a beast as SAIA's Destania?
Theoretical Answer: He didn't, Evil people can fall in love just like everyone else can.

She prolly eventually ran into an unexpected hitch in her "special incantation ploy"

superluser

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 03:55:01 AMShe prolly eventually ran into an unexpected hitch in her "special incantation ploy"

Given what we know of Edward's relationship with dragons and Destania's relationship with dragons, I think there's a good chance that Destania was looking for adventure of a new and different kind when she came across a boy scout who was similarly inclined.

Tapewolf

Oh man, that is such a sad strip.  I guess he was in denial after all.

Raises the question of whether Destania is currently evil, or whether raising a child changed her. (Not that it seems to have changed Aniz)

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 02:50:36 AM
and for whatever reason, [Destania] teamed up with a pink-haired ferret and is planning dragoncide with 'im.

For all we know the dragons are even worse than 'Cubi  :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2007, 04:08:50 AM
Oh man, that is such a sad strip.  I guess he was in denial after all.

Raises the question of whether Destania is currently evil, or whether raising a child changed her. (Not that it seems to have changed Aniz)
Dee prolly got the chance to be all 'motherly' might've changed her perspective on things to a degree.

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 02:50:36 AM
and for whatever reason, [Destania] teamed up with a pink-haired ferret and is planning dragoncide with 'im.
For all we know the dragons are even worse than 'Cubi  :B
heh, true.

Zedd

Heh I say its stone cold irony right now...It takes people who been with Dans family would know the real truth in it

Dard

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 12:00:34 AM
Destania was a good mother to Dan and Alexsi, to the point in teaching them how to handle themselves in combat and such.  Alexsi treats Destania as her mother and not a step mother.  Destania sees Alexsi as her daughter, as if she gave birth to her (would like to see Alexsi with Cubi wings).

Though what Fi just said brings one question to mind...
How was Edward able to tame such a beast as SAIA's Destania?  :mowdizzy
Or was it even Edward that tamed Destania, it could have been Dan...
I think it's quite simple:
Destania knows not to bring work home.
Stepchild or not, Alexsi is family.
SAIA is work.

rabid_fox

Sounds like a very practically minded teacher. OFSTED would be proud.

Oh dear.

Stygian

Hey, anybody else hear that faint sound from somewhere off? You know, the one that sounds like a smug voice whispering 'I told you so' from just out of sight?

Yeah, it's me.

WhiteFire

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 04:11:23 AM
Dee prolly got the chance to be all 'motherly' might've changed her perspective on things to a degree.
She is planning to commit genocide. No mention of getting the ones that wronged here, but discussing "the end of the dragon race". And I think Pyroduck is a sufficient example to prove that the race in question is not inherently evil... just as the cubi race is not.

Kria Soulstealer may be a good comparison here... sure, she loves her family. She also eats the random pizza delivery boy and tour guide.

Turnsky

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 03, 2007, 05:40:54 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 04:11:23 AM
She is planning to commit genocide. No mention of getting the ones that wronged here, but discussing "the end of the dragon race". And I think Pyroduck is a sufficient example to prove that the race in question is not inherently evil... just as the cubi race is not.

Kria Soulstealer may be a good comparison here... sure, she loves her family. She also eats the random pizza delivery boy and tour guide.

i did say "to a degree", besides, Mother, Teacher, Genocidal Maniac.. sounds like anybody's mother, really.  >:3