1/29/07 - Shown in Supermarionation!

Started by Turnsky, January 29, 2007, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Magic" is the explanation for that one, I think :-)

I'd expect them to have a full blood and lungs system, being basically anthropoid in shape, but big enough to require  a proper breathing system to get enough oxygen to the vital organs...

I'm prepared to be wrong - after all, we're talking a magical world. It could be just about anything - for example, they might have silly-putty as internal organs, with just as much reason behind it :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Abel will freak over any red liquid, but spiders have green.   >:3
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kenji

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2007, 07:39:26 PM
I'm prepared to be wrong - after all, we're talking a magical world. It could be just about anything - for example, they might have silly-putty as internal organs, with just as much reason behind it :-)

Everytime one becomes an organ donor, doctors can't help but press the organs onto newspaper comics.

Valynth

Quote from: Kenji on January 29, 2007, 08:01:44 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2007, 07:39:26 PM

Everytime one becomes an organ donor, doctors can't help but press the organs onto newspaper comics.

That is SICK and WRONG....I love it!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

MT Hazard

I don't know if spiders have a similar breathing system to insects but said system limits their size, still there is a beetle big enough to peel bananas.

I wonder if its like in the Discworld where massive animals appear in areas of high magic fields. In the webcomic 'wings of change' some animals need magic to survive, if they run out it damages them as starvation would us.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but where does magic come from in DMFA ? is it produced by creatures? is it naturally drawn in by them?

Oh and most insect actually have clear blood.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Akisohida

Nooo! Cousin Ralph! I TOLD you to stay out of sight!

I am NOT dead! *Hugs Charline* See!? I am still make the ebilkitty pass out with a hug!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Valynth

To clear confusion:  Spiders have "book lungs", stacks of respritory tissue.

Doraion

Ace: Chris get back here!  Aye I told him to not look at the picture of the camel spider...uhhh wait you can make her feint Akisohida?

Doraion:  That's good to know, Chris should face his fear and make a spider taur character in case Charlina's creator chats with Chris on MSN or AIM.  I rather not risk her having more of that cubification serum she got Chris with during that war and get ace with it.  The whole world will be doomed if he joins her side of ebilness.

ChaoSynergy

QuoteI'm sure this has been discussed before but where does magic come from in DMFA ? is it produced by creatures? is it naturally drawn in by them?

I like to think of magic as just malleable energy from a pocket dimension...Z-Space if you wish.  It leaks into our world, and permeates it, and those who are naturally attuned to it are able to manipulate it.

Azlan

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on January 30, 2007, 12:32:18 AM
QuoteI'm sure this has been discussed before but where does magic come from in DMFA ? is it produced by creatures? is it naturally drawn in by them?

I like to think of magic as just malleable energy from a pocket dimension...Z-Space if you wish.  It leaks into our world, and permeates it, and those who are naturally attuned to it are able to manipulate it.

Sure... and I'm the fourth doctor.  I tend to believe the universe has a finite amount of energy flowing, circulating within a closed system.  The energy is harnessed by those who are able, shaped into what they desire and recycled back into the flow.  Within this process is a certain minute amount of energy degradation that will eventually lead to a negative energy balance.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Valynth

...I'll just let the logic of how a closed system can lose energy make your statement vanish in a puff of logic...

Anyway, I wonder if Fa'lina can predict everyone's future(up to the stated point of course) since they were in the academy for a spell (though not enrolled).

Magic

Quote"Grrr. I hate when I'm being used."

I love the subtle humour in that.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Valynth

subtle?  That was as blunt as the posts Dracula used on a person he absolutely hated(the factual Dracula).

llearch n'n'daCorna

You missed the subtle bit, Valynth.

The subtle bit is the implication that Fa'Lina is using him. Leaving us in the dark as to what for, why, and how he knows....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kasarn

I hear talk that beds are soft and comfy.
You don't need another reason.

Of course, he could have gotten a giant teddy bear... but Mab probably already had one and he didn't want to copy :E

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kasarn on January 30, 2007, 06:12:32 AM
I hear talk that beds are soft and comfy.
You don't need another reason.

A sofa is fine for that, it takes up less space and depending on the design, you can sometimes hide under them too  >:3

Stig Hemmer

Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Kasarn

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on January 30, 2007, 06:53:09 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2007, 05:35:25 AM
Why has Abel got a bed?
In case Jyrras comes to visit? :3
PILLOW FIGHT! :)

Of course, then Alexsi will be all like, "You wrecked all the pillows, so you can replace them as well!"

AndersW

Why has Abel got a bed?
I think it is because, at SAIA there were enough emotions that cubi didn't have to sleep.  But now that Abel is away from SAIA he will need to sleep, so Abel has a bed to sleep in.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 30, 2007, 08:33:47 AM
Why has Abel got a bed?
I think it is because, at SAIA there were enough emotions that cubi didn't have to sleep.  But now that Abel is away from SAIA he will need to sleep, so Abel has a bed to sleep in.

Actually, Dan appears to be losing the ability to sleep before he went to SAIA (e.g. "My Wings Just Made Me Coffee!")  Aary didn't need it much either while she was around.  Remember her sitting on the windowsill while Merlitz slept?

As for SAIA, that's actually one of the things I don't really understand.  Where does the energy come from?

Say we have Dan and Abel living in the middle of the desert through some strange quirk of fate.  What does Abel feed on?  If he feeds on Dan's emotions, where does Dan get the energy to radiate them from?
They can't both feed on each other, because ultimately you need an energy input, especially if you go around casting spells all over the place as the students will during their studies.
Beings I can accept, but SAIA doesn't seem to have all that many of them (Only 5% need to eat and that probably includes other guest Creatures like the aquatic Mythos).

It's not just a matter of scientific correctness, either.  If you can get energy from nothing, it breaks all sorts of character drives and plot details.  :<

One possibility is that the energy IS being recirculated among the 'cubi but they have enough Beings in the Academy to replenish the supply as it is used up by spells and natural wastage.

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on January 30, 2007, 12:37:25 AMI tend to believe the universe has a finite amount of energy flowing, circulating within a closed system.  The energy is harnessed by those who are able, shaped into what they desire and recycled back into the flow.

Well, that's just the first law of thermodynamics.

Quote from: Azlan on January 30, 2007, 12:37:25 AMWithin this process is a certain minute amount of energy degradation that will eventually lead to a negative energy balance.

And this is just the second law of...waitaminnit, that's not how entropy works!

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2007, 04:59:39 AMThe subtle bit is the implication that Fa'Lina is using him. Leaving us in the dark as to what for, why, and how he knows....

I think his point was that that wasn't exactly subtle.

At least, it didn't seem terribly subtle to me.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2007, 05:35:25 AMWhy has Abel got a bed?

Who says it's Abel's bed?  Dan and the Basement Rats also live down there.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

gothtk14

Those all seem to be good points to me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 30, 2007, 09:02:30 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2007, 05:35:25 AMWhy has Abel got a bed?

Who says it's Abel's bed?  Dan and the Basement Rats also live down there.

Because it's in Abel's room, and he's gone to the trouble of getting green fitted sheets for it.  (See also #609 - note the green spots on the wall... consistency FTW)

Dan's room is blue.  Now I can see him wanting something to lie on (I often lie on bed when I'm reading) but a sofa takes up less space, as I say.  If I suddenly lost the need to sleep tomorrow, I certainly wouldn't go to the effort of taking the bed with me when I move  >:3

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2007, 09:26:24 AMBecause it's in Abel's room, and he's gone to the trouble of getting green fitted sheets for it.  (See also #609 - note the green spots on the wall... consistency FTW)

You're right about that (Abel repainted prior to 601, but Dan's room is blue in 689), but there are still the Basement Rats.  They do have a habit of buying things for the basement.

As for getting green fitted sheets, do you really think that Abel would keep the sheets if they clashed?  Also, do note that green was already a color in the basement, and getting a sofa reupholstered is going to be difficult, even for an incubus.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 30, 2007, 10:02:54 AM
You're right about that (Abel repainted prior to 601, but Dan's room is blue in 689), but there are still the Basement Rats.  They do have a habit of buying things for the basement.

Granted.

As for getting green fitted sheets, do you really think that Abel would keep the sheets if they clashed?

Hell, no.  In #600 he's doing the sheets for Dan, and that's kind of the point.  He's changed the sheets on the bed so they don't clash, but it would have been more practical for him to just move it into one of the other basement rooms or possibly some kind of hyperrealm if they've used them all up by now.

Yet for some reason he's kept it, and I'm curious as to why.

QuoteAlso, do note that green was already a color in the basement, and getting a sofa reupholstered is going to be difficult, even for an incubus. 

On the other hand, since he's gone for green and the rats aren't even supposed to be down there, nicking the sofa would have been an ideal match >:3

Of course one reason might be that keeping the bed there is a visual cue so you know that we're in his bedroom...

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2007, 10:17:58 AMHell, no.  In #600 he's doing the sheets for Dan, and that's kind of the point.  He's changed the sheets on the bed so they don't clash, but it would have been more practical for him to just move it into one of the other basement rooms or possibly some kind of hyperrealm if they've used them all up by now.

New theory!

It's Dee and Ed's bed.  After Ed goes missing, and Dee goes to find him, Alexsi maintains their room for a while, but eventually comes to the realization that they're probably not coming back anytime soon, so she might as well use the room for boarders.  She has been known to do this.

But what to do about the bed?  Would you want some strangers sleeping in your parents' bed?  But if she sells it, she has to buy a new one when they come back, so she just stores it downstairs.

And it's much easier to keep a bed than to move it out.  Plus, as you say, it's a place to recline while reading/studying/whatever when the basement rats are hogging the couch.  And Alexsi probably told Abel that if he moved the bed, Bad Things would happen to him.

Valynth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2007, 04:59:39 AM
You missed the subtle bit, Valynth.

The subtle bit is the implication that Fa'Lina is using him. Leaving us in the dark as to what for, why, and how he knows....

...And you repeat what I already know...why?  Seriously, it wasn't subtle, not even in the slightest.  For a comic maybe, but I'm used to analyzing literature and I'll tell you compared to that, this is child's play.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 30, 2007, 10:48:19 AM
It's Dee and Ed's bed.  After Ed goes missing, and Dee goes to find him, Alexsi maintains their room for a while, but eventually comes to the realization that they're probably not coming back anytime soon, so she might as well use the room for boarders.  She has been known to do this.

I think she's still got it for herself.  See 378 - it's got the Cyra Clan logo in it, so it's probably an heirloom of Destania's.  Why she has a bed is kind of repeating the same question, although I'm sure it proved useful in siring Dan.  We won't go there.

QuoteBut what to do about the bed?  Would you want some strangers sleeping in your parents' bed?  But if she sells it, she has to buy a new one when they come back, so she just stores it downstairs.
And Alexsi probably told Abel that if he moved the bed, Bad Things would happen to him.

Unless he's got the last room in the basement, that would be a good reason for Alexsi not to have given him the room at all.

Somehow I'm reminded of the Bed song in Hair, which lists about two dozen uses for beds which don't include sleeping.  I'd post the lyrics but being very much a Summer-of-Love thing it probably breaks PG.  (One of the other songs in the musical definitely does - even giving the title would  :erk)

ShiningShadow

I think the bed Abel bought it beacuse he was getting sleepy and need something to lie upon. It's that simple no scientific explanation or what not.