[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Nikki

*foams at the mouth and bows, lighting her sketchbook on fire* Keaton PWNS. Srsly. i...damn i can't even...><;;;

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

Quote from: Xze-Xze on September 22, 2007, 08:53:39 PM
*foams at the mouth and bows, lighting her sketchbook on fire* Keaton PWNS. Srsly. i...damn i can't even...><;;;

*salvages Xze's sketchbook and revitalizes it* Nuu! D: There needs to be moar Xze arts!

By the way, to all of you--thank you so much for the comments on the picture. ^^ To Llearch, thank you for putting up the full-resolution picture so everyone can see all the details. >:3 I'm especially proud of the high-res picture, so you're my hero times a bajillion for this.

I wasn't expecting to draw another violent picture, but... eh. What can you do? This is what happens when I feel down. Anyway, this is what Keaton looked like four hundred (or so) years ago, when her clan was massacred and their sanctuary was destroyed.

I'm not going to tell you whose head that is. You'll probably be able to tell if you look back on a recent picture and if you know enough about Keaton's history. It's probably the scene I'm looking forward most to writing in her upcoming backstory.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Ugh.  Well-drawn, but nasty.  Looks like the answer's in the wiki, although to be honest the muzzle seems a bit too short for that person as portrayed in the family picture.

Keaton, one point - I'm not wholly sure that a 'Cubi in their 60s or 70s would know enough to be able to steal souls.  In SAIA at least, a fifty-something 'Cubi seems to be considered a kid.  That said, it's likely that the Jyraneth would start teaching such stuff from a much younger age.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 10:52:47 AM
Ugh.  Well-drawn, but nasty.  Looks like the answer's in the wiki, although to be honest the muzzle seems a bit too short for that person as portrayed in the family picture.

Keaton, one point - I'm not wholly sure that a 'Cubi in their 60s or 70s would know enough to be able to steal souls.  In SAIA at least, a fifty-something 'Cubi seems to be considered a kid.  That said, it's likely that the Jyraneth would start teaching such stuff from a much younger age.

I have an answer to that: the person I drew was a fennec fox, but I didn't quite have a good grasp of drawing them very well at the time I drew the family picture. I wanted to make him/her look different from a jackal, so I enlarged his/her ears and shortened his/her muzzle. I should probably make updated, individual pictures for all the family members.

And really? I don't recall Keaton ever stealing souls at that age... in fact, the only time I remember her stealing souls is when she was 143, and even then she wasn't quite absorbing the soul--she was caging it in her weapon. Though you are right, the Jyraneth would start teaching such atrocities at a young age. After all, they would want their bloodline to be nice and powerful.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 23, 2007, 11:02:50 AM
And really? I don't recall Keaton ever stealing souls at that age...

I was referring to the Jyraneth Raiders in particular, since their job role includes 'harvesting souls' according to the wiki.  None of the family members who were Raiders at the time of the fall had made 90.

(By the way, I've made another edit to the wiki... might be an idea to review it :P)

**EDIT**
I have an answer to that: the person I drew was a fennec fox, but I didn't quite have a good grasp of drawing them very well at the time I drew the family picture. I wanted to make him/her look different from a jackal, so I enlarged his/her ears and shortened his/her muzzle. I should probably make updated, individual pictures for all the family members.

Ahhh... it zooms in.  I can see the ear-piece now.  Definitely my second choice.
Is she actually crying or are those markings?  (I can imagine a shock like that rendering her incapable of tears)

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 11:20:43 AM
And really? I don't recall Keaton ever stealing souls at that age...

I was referring to the Jyraneth Raiders in particular, since their job role includes 'harvesting souls' according to the wiki.  None of the family members who were Raiders at the time of the fall had made 90.

(By the way, I've made another edit to the wiki... might be an idea to review it :P)

Ohhh, now I understand. Hmm... I wonder if only seasoned Jyraneth Raiders are capable of harvesting souls, while the younger newbies are in charge of killing and stealing potential slaves.

(And I shall take a look at the wiki. :3 By the way, thanks for going over Keaton's Wiki page and correcting the grammar errors. You are my hero.)

EDIT: By the way, Noah, Keaton's brother, who was 29 at the time Keaton was 8... probably was 80 or so by the time he died. So he was likely a Jyraneth Raider for a long time, longer than Keaton was, since he had been a Jyraneth Raider since his head-wings grew in.

Also, what part of the Wiki did you edit?

Quote from: Tapewolf**EDIT**

Ahhh... it zooms in.  I can see the ear-piece now.  Definitely my second choice.
Is she actually crying or are those markings?  (I can imagine a shock like that rendering her incapable of tears)

She is actually crying, something which takes a LOT for Keaton to do today. This is probably some time after the shock has set in. I really can't wait to write that scene.. it's supposed to be really raw in emotion and signifies when the shit hits the fan for the story's initial Fa Teen rating. >:3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 23, 2007, 11:39:47 AM
EDIT: By the way, Noah, Keaton's brother, who was 29 at the time Keaton was 8... probably was 80 or so by the time he died. So he was likely a Jyraneth Raider for a long time, longer than Keaton was, since he had been a Jyraneth Raider since his head-wings grew in.

Aw, so he is dead, then?

Anyway, the line:

"This led to the inexplicable exposure of the Jyraneth Clan's haven, Harla'Keth, and the invasion of the Jyraneth Clan's most devoted enemies, the Kamei'Sin Clan.

Was changed to:

"This led to the inexplicable exposure of the Jyraneth Clan's haven, Harla'Keth, and its subsequent invasion by the Jyraneth Clan's most devoted enemies, the Kamei'Sin Clan."

...let me know if that's wrong and I'll roll it back for you.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 23, 2007, 11:39:47 AM

Aw, so he is dead, then?

Anyway, the line:

"This led to the inexplicable exposure of the Jyraneth Clan's haven, Harla'Keth, and the invasion of the Jyraneth Clan's most devoted enemies, the Kamei'Sin Clan.

Was changed to:

"This led to the inexplicable exposure of the Jyraneth Clan's haven, Harla'Keth, and its subsequent invasion by the Jyraneth Clan's most devoted enemies, the Kamei'Sin Clan."

...let me know if that's wrong and I'll roll it back for you.

I can safely say that he's dead, unless I decide to do something with him in the future. The reason I can do this is because his death was off-screen, so I can take advantage of that.

So yeah, Noah's death is ambiguous, as is the fate of Elizabeth. However, Elizabeth is undeniably alive--but I haven't decided where she is and what has occurred after she escaped. Anyway, it is most likely that Noah is dead, because the Kamei'Sin would've considered it prudent to dispose of him as soon as they extracted the information they wanted. After all, to them, a Jyraneth Cubi isn't worth anything.

And oh yeah, I just noticed the changes! Once more, thank you--that makes the sentence a lot less confusing. Thank you so much for your help. :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 23, 2007, 12:26:09 PM
... After all, to them, a Jyraneth Cubi isn't worth anything.

... more than your average lunch pail...

Back to the image, I like how it's all in B&W, except for the blood - that's a power emotive choice, and has been done a few times - Schindler's List and the red coat, and the end of Ransom come to mind, movie-wise - but has yet to become cliche...

Nicely done, too. Although I -still- think all your chars have my metabolism; skinny despite how much I eat. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 23, 2007, 01:35:11 PM
Back to the image, I like how it's all in B&W, except for the blood

And the eye.  Look at Keaton's eye too.  It's subtle, but I don't think it's a fluke.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 23, 2007, 01:35:11 PM
Back to the image, I like how it's all in B&W, except for the blood

And the eye.  Look at Keaton's eye too.  It's subtle, but I don't think it's a fluke.

Oh, wow. Both eyes, actually - albeit lighter in the dead one, since it's fading. That's so subtle I missed it, although I caught the effect.

Neat.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

It so reminds me how the head personal Heir caretaker found the king and queen dead

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 23, 2007, 03:53:30 PM
Oh, wow. Both eyes, actually - albeit lighter in the dead one, since it's fading. That's so subtle I missed it, although I caught the effect.

Dunno about the dead one... it's kind of close to the pencil colour.  Besides, s/he'd be long gone by the time she found him/her.

**EDIT**
(So as not to give it away completely )

Arcalane

I almost feel inclined to make a lewd joke about heads here, but I like my internal organs intact. :U

I like the way the blood is done, actually, even if it doesn't look very real - it looks more like paint than blood (I think blood is of a fairly thick consistency or a very thin consistency but rarely anywhere inbetween) - it still works well with the rest of the image. :)

--

I suppose the consistency of the blood depends a lot on who it belongs to, though; my own is a very deep red and quite thick as I last remember seeing it, for example (I apologise if that's a bit too much detail, it is only meant as an example) but it likely varies a lot on lifestyle and diet.

xHaZxMaTx

Methinks you need to adjust your monitor's brightness settings - both eyes are shaded brown.  This is what I got when I sampled the colour from the eye using the eyedropper (:rolleyes) tool in Photoshop.

Anyway, sad pic. :<  I think Keaton needs a hug.

Tapewolf

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on September 23, 2007, 04:55:43 PM
Methinks you need to adjust your monitor's brightness settings - both eyes are shaded brown.

Nope.  I've just recalibrated it, and the head's eyes still look the same as his nose.  It could be interesting to see it on an LCD monitor, since the colour reproduction on those is usually even worse.

QuoteAnyway, sad pic. :<  I think Keaton needs a hug.
Definitely a sad picture.  Left me kind of broody all day.  Expect bitter aspects to my upcoming writings :P

xHaZxMaTx

Dunno, then.  I'm using an LCD monitor and I can see the difference between his eye and his nose pretty clearly.

Tapewolf

Keaton, you'll probably kick me for saying this, but I've just realised your characters have the wrong number of fingers  :<

**EDIT**
(Actually, so does Turnsky's rendition of Jakob :P)

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 23, 2007, 06:29:55 PM
Keaton, you'll probably kick me for saying this, but I've just realised your characters have the wrong number of fingers  :<

**EDIT**
(Actually, so does Turnsky's rendition of Jakob :P)

Actuaaaaaally, I see where you're coming from. When I first drew this picture I started debating about whether or not I should give Keaton four fingers, but I decided to opt for realism. :< I guess I can attribute this to style, but ironically, I find four fingers are much easier to draw than five. XD

Wry, realism? Wryyyyyyy?

To everyone, thank you for your comments. :) I'll hopefully have a new drawing up soon.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Fuyudenki

hey Keaton, I think you'd get a kick out of this.  Guess what I just got in the mail today!(err... PG-13, 'cause Mai doesn't wear much!)

yeah... I scanned 'em on top of a drawing to kinda show that it's mine, but looks like I could've gotten the same effect by grabbing the official shots and Photoshopping them over the previously-scanned image.

In any case, this brings my collection to Taki(with some of Chun-Li's moves), Nightmare, Mai, and Tira.  Now, I need to get Terry Bogard, Nakoruru, and Felicia.

Gareeku

Quote from: Raist on October 02, 2007, 08:35:57 PM
hey Keaton, I think you'd get a kick out of this.  Guess what I just got in the mail today!(err... may be NSFW, 'cause Mai doesn't wear much!)

yeah... I scanned 'em on top of a drawing to kinda show that it's mine, but looks like I could've gotten the same effect by grabbing the official shots and Photoshopping them over the previously-scanned image.

In any case, this brings my collection to Taki(with some of Chun-Li's moves), Nightmare, Mai, and Tira.  Now, I need to get Terry Bogard, Nakoruru, and Felicia.

Ok. Two questions.

1) What is this card game called
2) Where can I get it

Fuyudenki

Two answers.

1: It's called UFS, or "Universal Fighting System," and is a cross-genre card game based on fighting video games, the idea of which being something like "What if Street Fighter's Ryu fought Soul Calibur's Nightmare?"  It captures the feel and balance fantastically, and is rapidly becoming my replacement to Magic: The Gathering.
2: You can only get UFS at game and hobby shops.  Sabertooth Games have explicitly stated that Wall-Mart and similar places aren't going to be getting it, so it's not something you'd find around target.  Where I live, Heroes and Dragons is the place to go for UFS cards, as Castle Games and Gifts, my more favored game shop only has a couple of first-edition boxes, of which they've sold exactly one booster pack.  To me.  I should probably check if Gamer's Haven carries it.

details here.  They had a promotional freebie deal(where I got Mai and Tira from) recently, but I don't think it's still going on.

Sunblink

Quote from: Raist on October 02, 2007, 08:35:57 PM
hey Keaton, I think you'd get a kick out of this.  Guess what I just got in the mail today!(err... PG-13, 'cause Mai doesn't wear much!)

You were indeed right with your assumption, good sir. I got an ENORMOUS kick out of this. >:3 Thank you very much for showing me! On a related note, I saw a whole series of Soul Calibur trading card scans at a website I always check out. I've saved all of the ones which have Tira in 'em.

Because my obsessions know no bounds :<

~Keaton the Black Jackal

GabrielsThoughts

you know technically it's not violence after death...it's more gore if anything.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sunblink

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 03, 2007, 03:14:10 PM
you know technically it's not violence after death...it's more gore if anything.

I wasn't quite sure, though now that you mention it I think you're right. I normally attribute gore to intestines and torn skin and all kinds of gross shiz showing which pokes at the stomach... though what you say makes more sense.

Next... NEW PICTURE, YO!

Bah. I can't kick the character anorexia, even in my babies. :< Well, I mean, she still looks a bit chubby in the arm and all, but I didn't get the belly chub down. I'll have to redraw this in the future... but for now, here's my first attempt at baby Keaton, here to save the day from all the depressing shit I've been forcefeeding you all with. XD

And yes, that is an Incibear she's holding.

And yes, I do need to leave the country now in order to escape Keaton's wrath. See you all in Helsinki.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

How old is Keaton supposed to be in the pic?  Like a new-born baby, or 3+ years old?

Tapewolf

That is pretty cute.  Shame she grew up to be a monster  >:3

And I am glad it's just an Incy-bear she's playing with... for a horrible moment I was afraid - given the Jyraneth - that it would be a skull or something.

Sunblink

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 03, 2007, 03:38:53 PM
How old is Keaton supposed to be in the pic?  Like a new-born baby, or 3+ years old?

I'm just going to say a few months old, maybe a year. Probably as old as Abel was in the first three strips of Abel's Story. Though I'm not good at drawing bebes, so Keaton looks older than that :<

Quote from: TapewolfAnd I am glad it's just an Incy-bear she's playing with... for a horrible moment I was afraid - given the Jyraneth - that it would be a skull or something.

You're giving me ideas, Tape... eeevil ideas. >:3

~Keaton the Black Jackal