[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

xHaZxMaTx

Tapewolf

I'm kind of curious about his disposition.  On one hand he's been brought into the world by two particularly evil creatures.  On the other, he seems to have been brought up by someone else entirely.

Perhaps it's just the way he's been drawn, but I must confess he doesn't look especially bright either :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2007, 06:13:47 PM
I'm kind of curious about his disposition.  On one hand he's been brought into the world by two particularly evil creatures.  On the other, he seems to have been brought up by someone else entirely.

Perhaps it's just the way he's been drawn, but I must confess he doesn't look especially bright either :P

Actually, Tikal's personality has barely been established, but it is possible that he is ultimately nothing like either one of his biological parents. I've been toying with the concept of making him an Adventurer, which is how he may encounter Keaton.

And heh. XD Really, I wasn't quite sure how to make his expression, so I made it sort of blase. Someone said he looks rather serene, so I decided to incorporate that into his personality.

I'll probably write more about Tikal the next time I draw him. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 17, 2007, 06:30:53 PM
Actually, Tikal's personality has barely been established, but it is possible that he is ultimately nothing like either one of his biological parents. I've been toying with the concept of making him an Adventurer, which is how he may encounter Keaton.

.. is it just me who wants to make him into a car salesman, or something equally out of step with the whole "Adventurer vs Cubi" thing?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 06:32:39 PM
.. is it just me who wants to make him into a car salesman, or something equally out of step with the whole "Adventurer vs Cubi" thing?

You have a good point there.

**EDIT**

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 17, 2007, 06:30:53 PM
Actually, Tikal's personality has barely been established, but it is possible that he is ultimately nothing like either one of his biological parents.

That would probably be a good thing.  Another question... the markings.  I assumed that for Keaton, those were the clan marks/tattoos.  But he shouldn't have either...

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 06:32:39 PM

Actually, you're very much right there. I need to come up with something more original for him and fast. My first ideas are never pretty. :< You guys should've heard the first ever concept ideas for Keaton's backstory, back when she was a Zafara/Mewtwo/Kangaroo Rat BASTARD CROSSBREED asfefeasa I sucked so much. XD

Either way. I'm going to see if I can come up with anything better, perhaps more original. Cliches make Keaton a very sad, sad jackal.

...aaaaactually, Llearch gave me an awesome idea over MSN. >:3 I think I can roll with that...

Quote from: Tapewolf
That would probably be a good thing.  Another question... the markings.  I assumed that for Keaton, those were the clan marks/tattoos.  But he shouldn't have either...

Actually, the markings aren't Keaton's clan markings. They're inherited from Kytharion, which are a recent addition to his design. His (Kytharion's) appearance is fleshing out more and more as I think about it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 17, 2007, 06:52:33 PM
:< You guys should've heard the first ever concept ideas for Keaton's backstory, back when she was a Zafara/Mewtwo/Kangaroo Rat BASTARD CROSSBREED asfefeasa I sucked so much. XD

Yeah, we've all been there.

Why, I remember one character in my own comic has gone through more revisions than I can recall, having been based off of not one, but two different people, changing race not once but twice(species race, not skin-color race), having her entire backstory rewritten, getting her hair color shuffled around at least three times, changing personality more than once, and she's now purely fictional, for the third time in her existance.

Probably my most drawn character, yet ironically, nobody on these boards has ever seen her.

So yeah, revisions=good.  Mebbe Tikal owns a bakery in town, and his parents never visit, but business is good anyway because of his friendly demeanor.

and Tikal will forever make me think of the pink echidna from Sonic Adventure.

Zedd

Goatmon

Hey Keaton, I like the new pic.  I really dig the tatoos or whatever the markings are.  I am not entirely of anything about them, other than that I like them.   :)

Also!  If you are fishing around for working out a plot for your Keaton story, send me a PM with some details sometime  whenever you have a little while to type up a synposis.  I love a good story, and if you want help with some ideas I'll  gladly throw some suggestions at you.  I've been RPing for so long (and been working on a comic of my own) and it's turned my brain into a veritable plot idea factory. 

*adjusts glasses* =o-o=

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on September 19, 2007, 07:26:50 AM
Also!  If you are fishing around for working out a plot for your Keaton story, send me a PM with some details sometime  whenever you have a little while to type up a synposis.  I love a good story, and if you want help with some ideas I'll  gladly throw some suggestions at you.

Your starting place should be the DMFA Wiki.  One of my intentions (i.e. why I spent so much time recording the way the world and races work) was that it could be used as a repository of information for writers, to try and keep things relatively consistent, both with DMFA itself and with other writers.

http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Keaton_the_Black_Jackal
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Jyraneth_Clan

We'll have to sort out some kind of portrait for Keaton at some point.

Sunblink

Quote from: Goatmon on September 19, 2007, 07:26:50 AM
Hey Keaton, I like the new pic.  I really dig the tatoos or whatever the markings are.  I am not entirely of anything about them, other than that I like them.   :)

Also!  If you are fishing around for working out a plot for your Keaton story, send me a PM with some details sometime  whenever you have a little while to type up a synposis.  I love a good story, and if you want help with some ideas I'll  gladly throw some suggestions at you.  I've been RPing for so long (and been working on a comic of my own) and it's turned my brain into a veritable plot idea factory. 

*adjusts glasses* =o-o=

Hey, I'm really glad you do! :) The tattoos are probably my favorite part of the picture, too, even though they don't really have any plot significance other than emphasizing Tikal's resemblance to his father.

And oh my god, really? Someone to help me with brainstorming would be a GODSEND! I've been sort of caught in a rut with Keaton's backstory, as pondering out the basic outlines of the chapters has been slightly difficult, so I would appreciate any and all help anyone can give. ^^

By the way, Goatmon... it will be up soon. Last week was a bit hectic so I couldn't finish it, but it should be ready soon... >:3 *mysterious cackle as she vanishes dramatically behind a smokescreen, coughs violently*

Quote from: Tapewolf
We'll have to sort out some kind of portrait for Keaton at some point.

Heh, I probably need to draw and color one. X3 I never did for some reason... odd.

It would also be awesome to see a portrait of the Jyraneth clan marking, similar to the ones arranged for Cyra and Daryil clan. I'm a little obsessed with consistency there. o_o

Wow. My suggestions are so THINLY VEILED. XD FEAR MY POOR ATTEMPTS AT SUBTLETY!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 19, 2007, 09:23:57 AM
It would also be awesome to see a portrait of the Jyraneth clan marking, similar to the ones arranged for Cyra and Daryil clan. I'm a little obsessed with consistency there. o_o

To be honest you did a better job on the Kamei'Sin marking than I did with the other two.  In all honesty they were crude hacks which I'd like to replace someday when I learn how to do SVG artwork.

In the meantime, I can have a look at doing one for you, but I can't seem to find a reference to work from.  I have a feeling you may have sent one by PM, I'll have to look.

Oh, and I made a few minor changes to your Wiki entry.  Grammar and stuff...

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 19, 2007, 09:47:52 AM
To be honest you did a better job on the Kamei'Sin marking than I did with the other two.  In all honesty they were crude hacks which I'd like to replace someday when I learn how to do SVG artwork.

Drifting slightly away from the topic, but which ones do you want to replace? I just started looking at SVG stuff (esp. how to do it in the raw text form instead of using a fancy editor - for another project that will most likely drive itself against a wall soon), so maybe I could do something useful while practicing?
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on September 19, 2007, 11:16:24 AM
Drifting slightly away from the topic, but which ones do you want to replace? I just started looking at SVG stuff (esp. how to do it in the raw text form instead of using a fancy editor - for another project that will most likely drive itself against a wall soon), so maybe I could do something useful while practicing?

http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:CyraClanLogo.png
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:DaryilClanLogo.png

I'm not sure if putting the raw SVG there is a good idea, since that retarded browser probably can't view them.  I have a vague feeling that the wiki engine might autoconvert it to PNG or something, but I'm not sure.  Either way, if you do SVG versions I'd like to have the original files for my collection :P

Sunblink

Omigodomigodomigod guys guys guys guys. I have something to show you.

Ladies and gentlemen, here she is. Queen Xexilene Sedarev Ishaik'Tar XIII, Imperial Ruler of the Heart Monarchy of Planet Oriaendi, Ruler of Issalyune, and Drop-Dead-Sexy Bitch.

Figured you all needed a reprieve from the flood of Keaton's backstory-related artwork... and besides, I've been working on this fine fine lady for a while. In case you can't tell, she is actually related to Piix by species--the Orin, and she's the primary ruler of the planet. Unrelated to Piix's 100 Themes challenge--this was just done because frankly, I wanted to do something which was very detailed, and secondly, I was on an enormous Orin kick when I did it. Cogidubnus wanted me to color it, so I did. It's about fucking time I finished it.

Xexilene's design is slightly based off of Egyptian attire and the depiction of King Xerxes from the movie 300. Some people have compared her to Mayan design. You can't see it, but all of those beads? Individually shaded. Killed me to get all of them, but damn was it worth it.

What's up next on my agenda? Ink and color Piix's first 100 Themes picture and get Aridas's picture I promised him finished. But for now, enjoy this uber colored picture.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Why don't you upload the full-res pic to show off all the details?  Would be nice considering the amount of detail you put into it. :3

It's very nice, I like how you used gradients to shade the jewelry, it gives it a more 3D look.

Now if you'll excuse me- *Is off to make a wallpaper.*

Cogidubnus

:U

Awesome picture is made of awesome and win. I love the little feet things, as well as the -incredible- colors. Very nice.

Tapewolf

That is a remarkable piece of colouring work.  Kind of creepy, but very well done.

Fuyudenki

preeeeeeeeeetyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Why does she look like her wrists are cuffed togeather?

xHaZxMaTx

Sounds like you're the only person who can answer that, Raist, since that's an opinion. ;)  But they do look cuffed together, I never noticed that before.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I have a slightly more pertinent question, Keaton...

... why does she have two right elbows? :-/
Other than that, her right eye is slightly too far inset to balance her left one.

Despite those two very minor niggles, the work itself is incredible. I see what you mean about the beads, and re-iterate Haz's request for the full thing. Heck, I'll even provide hosting, if photobucket is being objectionable...

Zedd

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 20, 2007, 08:45:38 PM
Methinks that's just the way the cloth is folded around her arm.

Also, PhotoBucket can bear the full-res pic, but only at about 3/4 quality.

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 20, 2007, 08:45:38 PM
I have a slightly more pertinent question, Keaton...

Other than that, her right eye is slightly too far inset to balance her left one.

Despite those two very minor niggles, the work itself is incredible. I see what you mean about the beads, and re-iterate Haz's request for the full thing. Heck, I'll even provide hosting, if photobucket is being objectionable...

Good question and critique, there. Honestly, I had no idea about the elbows, same with the eye.

I'd be happy to give you guys the full thing--but I'm uncertain if Photoshop will allow me to upload a file which is so immense in size. I'll give it a try, but if it's giving me trouble, is it alright if you host it? X3

To Raist, the wrists aren't cuffed together--it's just the positioning of the wrists combined with her bracelets. XD

To everyone, thank you so much for your comments and praise! You guys are all full of win. :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

KarlOmega1

I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

King Of Hearts

Nice design... reminds me of the level of detail from the Dynasty warrior games.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 21, 2007, 12:39:50 PM
I'd be happy to give you guys the full thing--but I'm uncertain if Photoshop will allow me to upload a file which is so immense in size. I'll give it a try, but if it's giving me trouble, is it alright if you host it? X3

Ahem. At 1.28Mb, my DSL link might choke if too many of you try to download this all at once.
It's 1134 by 2713 pixels, in png format.

http://llearch.net/misc/kbj/Scan-QueenoftheOrinColored.png

Fuyudenki

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 22, 2007, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 21, 2007, 12:39:50 PM

Ahem. At 1.28Mb, my DSL link might choke if too many of you try to download this all at once.
It's 1134 by 2713 pixels, in png format.

http://llearch.net/misc/kbj/Scan-QueenoftheOrinColored.png

That sounds like a challenge to me.

On 3, everybody!!!

(pretty in big!)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raist on September 22, 2007, 01:33:35 PM
That sounds like a challenge to me.

The result is that the link slows down while I'm asleep.

See if you can guess how much I care. ;-]